PC wins....

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
nebulae

Re: PC wins....

Post by nebulae » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:59 pm

ethios4 wrote:Yup, 6-core processors are already on the market.
Be the first kid on the block to own one...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:PC is winning the processor race again. They're about 500 miles ahead of Apple. For a long time now you can get the Dr Dre HP with the i5 or the i7:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopp ... 5be_series

Apple's laptop processors were frozen in time back in 2006.
So far they are... Still I wonder what Apple has up their sleeves with the processor company they purchased. We'll get the first taste of what it can do in the upcoming iPad, but still no word if they really will replace Intel (or at least not the last time I read anything).

Anyway, the real reason to buy a Dre HP is so you can listen to music... It's not optimized for producing music. Hopefully anyone wanting a serious audio-only computer will pass this one by.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:23 pm

A PC or a Mac is just a bunch of parts, and in most cases these days, they're the same parts. Apple has better quality control. Than again, anyone seriously doing music with a PC has either had it built by a company that knows what its doing or has done it themselves.

How the computer is used depends on the parts used, the drivers of the sound cards, and then ultimately, the OS and the DAW software. And toward the end goal of low-latency music production, the differences are less and less. So I really don't understand why we're still having this debate.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:03 pm

It's a lot like men and women. These days they are looking more and more alike, and sometimes people even run a different OS than their hardware was intended for.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:04 pm

Ok, I don't know how that relates, but it made sense at the time. That's what happens when I take a green detour on the way back from lunch...

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:14 pm

ethios4 wrote:Ok, I don't know how that relates, but it made sense at the time. That's what happens when I take a green detour on the way back from lunch...
uhhh... yeah, WTF?? :lol: Lovely greens. :wink:

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Just say No, Fred.

Jarvisimon

Post by Jarvisimon » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:19 pm

ethios4 wrote:Yup, 6-core processors are already on the market.
apparently 80 core processors will be next and with it will come a new method of writing code so that these cores are instantly mapped to the job at hand.

i just wish the music software developers would be on the case and have applications ready for its release.

mihai

Post by mihai » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:12 am

that laptop and the beats headphones would make me sound like dre.

what if i want to sound like tiesto?