Why Americans don't like European football

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
mikemc
Posts: 5454
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:14 pm
Location: Maryland USA
Contact:

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by mikemc » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:25 pm

^ "Oekaay mates, we caint afford a basketball, soccer and rugby venue all at wince, so crikey we'll play alla em gemms at wince and fekkem what dont loik it". :lol:


RE: soccer-- saw an exchange during a match where the goalie made a save and punted it back downfield all the way to the other goalie, who saved it and punted it back. Logically, then, the only thing that prevents this from going on infinitely is that one goalie or the other decides to let the other fellows play.

nebulae
Posts: 15707
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:16 am
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by nebulae » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:29 pm

I can't wait for the movie recounting the epic story of the 1950 world cup upset. Starring Matt Damon as the US team captain, with Jude Law as the conflicted British soccer team captain, and Sandra Bullock as the cougar who is confusing both of them, set in the backdrop of this politico romantic comedy thriller sports epic. Directed by Clint Eastwood, of course. Don't miss Unvictus: A Gay Cougar Love Triangle out this fall in theatres everywhere.
Image Image Image Image

derzai
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm
Location: offline

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by derzai » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:30 pm

Pro soccer is one of the meanest sports around. General misconception by people that never watch it.

Only in the Dutch league, a minor league, there's many serious injuries every week.

Just watch this youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUe7wZAafXQ

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by beats me » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:50 pm

derzai wrote:Pro soccer is one of the meanest sports around. General misconception by people that never watch it.
Actually I think the biggest misconception is sports has to involve teams ever scoring a point.

delicioso
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:28 pm

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by delicioso » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:45 pm

Futbol (soccer or whatever you want to call it) will continue to be the most popular sport in the world regardless of how it's perceived in the US.

What I think is revealing is how Americans play a sport they call "football" where you can't use your feet on the ball for the most part. And the domestic baseball tournament is called the World Series. :lol:

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:10 pm

mikemc wrote: RE: soccer-- saw an exchange during a match where the goalie made a save and punted it back downfield all the way to the other goalie, who saved it and punted it back....

...then they both ran out on the field and started making out. And therein lies the trouble with the sport going over well in the USA.

:P
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

derzai
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm
Location: offline

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by derzai » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:33 pm

beats me wrote:
derzai wrote:Pro soccer is one of the meanest sports around. General misconception by people that never watch it.
Actually I think the biggest misconception is sports has to involve teams ever scoring a point.
Monty Pythons philosophy football. Classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2TicMbH ... re=related

funky shit
Posts: 3977
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by funky shit » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:09 pm

fuck off..
football is the greatest sport in the world.. it is currently full of fags yes i agree but it is still awesome.
american football is nearly as boring as softsynths (yes i went there)
and gtfo calling it soccer.. american football shouldn't even be called "football"
more like american hand egg

Image
Image

derzai
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:52 pm
Location: offline

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by derzai » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:49 pm

I was in for 10 hours and had 40 pints - beating my previous record by 20 minutes.

George Best.

Image

aqua_tek
Posts: 2569
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:13 pm

funky shit wrote: Image
I LOL'd

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:13 pm

funky shit wrote:fuck off..
football is the greatest sport in the world.. it is currently full of fags yes i agree but it is still awesome.
american football is nearly as boring as softsynths (yes i went there)
and gtfo calling it soccer.. american football shouldn't even be called "football"
more like american hand egg
For me the main problem with american handegg is that for every 10 seconds of play there's 5 minutes or replay footage, player analysis, historical references, commercials, and enough general chatter to make even a woman go "do you ever shut up?". You could probably film and edit an hour long stop motion clamation movie in a shorter period of time.

But I still say it's the lack of point making that kills european football for americans. There's more points scored in a single basketball game than the collective global score of an entire european football season.

H20nly
Posts: 15843
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:46 pm

beats me wrote:You could probably film and edit an hour long stop motion clamation movie in a shorter period of time.
:lol: :lol:
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

plantaginate
Posts: 420
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:08 am

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by plantaginate » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:51 pm

oh jesus christ.
people are actually debating whether the yanks like football?

fuck 'em.

for real.

fuck.

them.

plantaginate
Posts: 420
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:08 am

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by plantaginate » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:54 pm

beats me wrote:
funky shit wrote:fuck off..
football is the greatest sport in the world.. it is currently full of fags yes i agree but it is still awesome.
american football is nearly as boring as softsynths (yes i went there)
and gtfo calling it soccer.. american football shouldn't even be called "football"
more like american hand egg
For me the main problem with american handegg is that for every 10 seconds of play there's 5 minutes or replay footage, player analysis, historical references, commercials, and enough general chatter to make even a woman go "do you ever shut up?". You could probably film and edit an hour long stop motion clamation movie in a shorter period of time.

But I still say it's the lack of point making that kills european football for americans. There's more points scored in a single basketball game than the collective global score of an entire european football season.
oh fuck are you serious?

jesus, you americans think everything needs to be justified to your tastes.

fuck you.

and fuck everyone like you.

H20nly
Posts: 15843
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by H20nly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:59 pm

^ so b0unce what have Americans done to you personally that causes you to be so hateful.. I'm curious, really???
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Post Reply