Why Americans don't like European football

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Post Reply
David Glynn
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:12 pm

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by David Glynn » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:53 am

H20nly wrote:
David Glynn wrote:The Red army as it was called back then was the largest, most experienced, most advanced fighting force on the planet at the time. American troops were surprised at how technologically well equipped they were when they met in Berlin.
Weren't they having to pick up rifles off the ground from the waves of their comrades that died in front of them because there weren't enough to go round?

FWIW I'm not joking or taking the piss... bashing etc. I'm asking.

From what I've read it seems that the Russians were unprepared and ill-equipped at the beginning of WW2 but by the end that had all changed. And so followed the super-power that lasted until 1991.

David Glynn
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:12 pm

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by David Glynn » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:54 am

derzai wrote:
David Glynn wrote: American troops were surprised at how technologically well equipped they were when they met in Berlin.
They met at the river Elbe, about 100 kms outside of Berlin.
Yes you are right. My point hasn't changed however.

rosti
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:23 pm
Location: HELLsinki

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by rosti » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 pm

American football = handegg-wrestling
European football = football

Sage
Posts: 1102
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:16 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by Sage » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:06 pm

Why European football specifically? What has America got against the Champion's League?


Interesting Rugby never caught on in America though, considering that's where American handegg ball comes from. But there are a lot of rules, so would probably confuse a fair amount of people!

Oh, any excuse to post lots of Welshman running fast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRcqFbbTxK8 :mrgreen:

H20nly
Posts: 15838
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:41 pm

^ a lot of the rugby plays are actually perfectly legal in American football, but for what ever reason they choose not to use those plays. I guess they're scared of dropping the ball if they pass it too much or something. Dunno... I'm sure the reasons, if there ever really were any, are long since forgotten...
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

fatrabbit
Posts: 1308
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:41 am
Location: Bath, UK

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by fatrabbit » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:42 pm

H20nly wrote:^ a lot of the rugby plays are actually perfectly legal in American football, but for what ever reason they choose not to use those plays. I guess they're scared of dropping the ball if they pass it too much or something. Dunno... I'm sure the reasons, if there ever really were any, are long since forgotten...
I guess it's because most coaches and playmakers are actually quite conservative - a game of attrition more like Rugby League than Rugby Union. Sean Payton in the Superbowl took great attacking risks though and it payed off.

They can do rugby-style passes (they call them "laterals") but it must be deemed risky to do so maybe because of a few factors including reduced peripheral vision due to helmets/visors.
Sage wrote:Interesting Rugby never caught on in America though, considering that's where American handegg ball comes from. But there are a lot of rules, so would probably confuse a fair amount of people!
American Football has a lot of technical rules too and must be the most technical and litigous American sport.

dum
Posts: 2678
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by dum » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:48 pm

Rugby didn't catch on stateside because [a] there's very little stoppage time, meaning you can't be lazy or fat to be of any use to the team you're not coated in padding so you have to play with skill or take the hard knocks


look at the states other national sport, baseball. Another lazy fucks sport with more time spent standing around than participating in the game.


seeing a pattern here...
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

dhilsabeck
Posts: 5935
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:52 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by dhilsabeck » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:54 pm

:roll:

Image

dum
Posts: 2678
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by dum » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:57 pm

ya, cricket is a crock of shit too.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

H20nly
Posts: 15838
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:58 pm

Image
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

H20nly
Posts: 15838
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:03 pm

Image
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

H20nly
Posts: 15838
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:07 pm

Image
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:14 pm

dum wrote:Rugby didn't catch on stateside because [a] there's very little stoppage time, meaning you can't be lazy or fat to be of any use to the team you're not coated in padding so you have to play with skill or take the hard knocks


look at the states other national sport, baseball. Another lazy fucks sport with more time spent standing around than participating in the game.


seeing a pattern here...



Indeed.

Rugby = mongoloids running about trying their level best to move the pretty ball down the field before crafts hour at the Home.

Football/baseball = strategy
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

dum
Posts: 2678
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by dum » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:15 pm

h20 ^^^ three counts of logic failure.

golf - traditionally a game played and watched by old rich-ish fucks.
croquet - traditionally a game played and watched by old dying fucks.
darts - traditionally a game played and watched by fat fuckin alcoholics.


american handegg & baseball. National sports played by what is supposed to be society's young & fit. Yet they are games for lazy fat fucks.


loop: strategy ? looooooool
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

H20nly
Posts: 15838
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Why Americans don't like European football

Post by H20nly » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:17 pm

^ :lol: now THAT is funny...

I'd like to see you say that... and then go play American football... YOU get to wear pads and everyone else has to take em off.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Post Reply