My landlord hates my bicycle. Legal help, please.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Silverfish

My landlord hates my bicycle. Legal help, please.

Post by Silverfish » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:56 am

Hey team. I have a completely random story to share and seek a bit of legal opinion.

The story so far: six months ago I purchased a bicycle to ride to work. I live in Las Vegas and work on the strip, and considering it takes THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT OF TIME to travel less than two miles via bike or car, I chose the healthier, eco-friendlier option (not that I ride religiously, but pretty consistently). I live in a one bedroom apartment on the second level, a car port, and a small balcony. I keep my bike on my patio because, frankly, there is nowhere else to put it.

The other day I came home and there is a note on my door from the property manager with the subject: PATIO CLUTTER. Oh boy.

According to the interim property manager, bikes on the patio are against property policy, and I had 48 hours to remove my bike or face a $25 fine. Hmm. Okay. So I went to the office and I asked the property manager if there had a been a change in policy, or what the situation was. Basically she said "the managers" (ie, she) inspected the property and found some things that need addressed. I told her my bike has been on my porch for the entire six months I've owned it, and there isn't anywhere else to keep it, as there are no bike racks, no garage, or other storage facility. She told me to put it in my living room. I politely thanked her and went home to read my lease.

I was totally expecting to read in the lease: NO BIKES ON THE PATIO. However, I found that my lease says no such thing. The lease does state where bikes ARE NOT to be placed: in front of stairs, on the sidewalk, in the car port, in the parking lot. It says nothing about the patio. In the next line, it says to keep the patio clean: no "trash, boxes, or general clutter".

It says nothing about bikes.

The bike's in my living room, at the moment, and I'd really prefer that this lady just go away and the old property manager come back. How do I deal with this situation? Challenge the interpretation of "general clutter"? Hope she leaves? Ask for a bike rack on property? Any legal scholars care to chime in?

*Edited for clarity

cosmosuave

Re: My landlord hates my bicycle. Legal help, please.

Post by cosmosuave » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:42 pm

Call Jackie...

MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:54 pm

I think "general clutter" fooks you. Might as well just wait till the old manager gets back and talk to her.
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:42 pm

We have similar verbiage in our lease agreement including things like not having things on the balcony that wouldn't be considered outdoor furniture, no couches, recliners, etc. I don't believe bikes are mentioned. But since the economy has gone further down the shitter they appear to be way more relaxed on this from balconies looking like people's walk-in closet to some people who obviously downgraded from a house to an apartment because there's way too much out door type stuff on it, ranging from a dozen or more plastic chairs to full sized stone fountains that allow for no space available for people to actually be on the balcony.

It's still a renters market so I don't see the point in being hardliners with current tenants or imposing fines for stupid bullshit.

audiofeen

Post by audiofeen » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:13 pm

I had a similar problem here.
My bike had been stolen perviously from the (secure) underground car park and one day i came home with the new bike
to take it into the lift and put it on my balcony the building caretaker was sweeping the hall near the lift and physically blocked my way into the apartment block, it took me threatening the property management company with legal action over his actions and the fact that i made them pay to replace my old bicycle for them to let me store it there.

It was in my contract that i couldn't even dry clothes on there......
http://www.soundcloud.com/mikewolf
Live setup: Macbook pro 3ghz 16gb ram, Live 8.x.x, max 4 live, Mpc 1000, Komplete 7, Circle, Akai apc40, Motu ultralite, Krk Vxt8's, and soon a Innerclock Systems sync gen.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:19 pm

cosmosuave wrote:Call Jackie...

second

wiresmith

Post by wiresmith » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:24 pm

If the situation doesn't resolve and you are forced to keep your trusty steed inside, then how about investing in a bike hook which you mount to the wall? They save loads of space as the bike hangs by its front wheel and they are really cheap.

I feel sorry for you, I hate stuff like this.

audiofeen

Post by audiofeen » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:29 pm

it's alright if you own the house but if you just renting you don't have a chance.
http://www.soundcloud.com/mikewolf
Live setup: Macbook pro 3ghz 16gb ram, Live 8.x.x, max 4 live, Mpc 1000, Komplete 7, Circle, Akai apc40, Motu ultralite, Krk Vxt8's, and soon a Innerclock Systems sync gen.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:45 pm

Hey, thanks for the input everyone.

For now, the bike is in front of my fireplace. Beautiful. However, Monday morning I'll be stopping by the office to see who's in charge this week. Hopefully this bitch is gone. lol.

Moody

Post by Moody » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:32 pm

I would say you can beat the general clutter clause. My question would be, “How often (days out of the week) do you use your bike for getting to work?” Being a general item it is not because it is a device used for a means of lively hood and clutter it is not because it is not there most of the time.
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Every bicycle on the planet should be melted down, and their owners slowly dipped alive in the resulting slag.

That is all. Thank you.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:06 am

LOL.

Loopstationzebra, why do you feel that way?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:33 am

Silverfish wrote:LOL.

Loopstationzebra, why do you feel that way?

I don't, really. I just needed an excuse to use the word 'slag' today. LOVE that word. lol.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Rondo

Post by Rondo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:31 am

why not contacting an association of "eco friendly bike friendly defenders" sort-of in AZ, CA, NV or even UTAH ?

they certainly had solved this kind of problems with recalcitrants landlords somewhere else with satisfaction ;)

but yes, does it exists already or you should start one ? (association)

good luck coz i know that Las Vegas is a kind of state in the state with a touch of anarchy and mytho-personnalities more than everywhere else

another hint : leave the US to an europ bikefriendly country ;) where SUV doesn't rules ;)

Rondo

Post by Rondo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:43 am

or 1 : become a greenpeace member
2 : inform greenpeace about your situation (yes your local office, not the blue whales one)
3 : make pression
:twisted: