Izotope Alloy, anyone using?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
UKRuss

Izotope Alloy, anyone using?

Post by UKRuss » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:42 pm

Me like Ozone, albeit I tent ot go for tweaked presets rather than starting from scratch but I do like it's functions.

In my contiuing search to buy more and mroe plug ins I don't use it seems sensible to check out Alloy.

Anyone using the beast?

How is you find it to yourself?

liveISlife

Re: Izotope Alloy, anyone using?

Post by liveISlife » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:11 pm

Dam bro, just because you use doesn't mean you have to get other people to! I might be a chicken, BUT YOUR A TURKEY!

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:19 pm

I know, I know. I got sucked in by their promotional bumph and some vids i saw. now i can't get enough, it started with downloading the demo which was free but when i went back for more they want me to pay. :(

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:24 pm

That's exactly how they get you! That's how!

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:41 pm

i've got Alloy... it's actually pretty good. and if you're familiar with Ozone, Alloy is super easy to get to know.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:15 pm

McQ714 wrote:i've got Alloy... it's actually pretty good. and if you're familiar with Ozone, Alloy is super easy to get to know.
You just cost me $250. :D

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:50 pm

UKRuss wrote:
McQ714 wrote:i've got Alloy... it's actually pretty good. and if you're familiar with Ozone, Alloy is super easy to get to know.
You just cost me $250. :D

Russ you mix pretty good imo but if u come out of this better i will be 8O and dropping the cash too.

Me goes off to watch the Alloy videos 8O

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:12 pm

:lol:

I guess I'm trying to pare things down to a unique set of tools. I sold a load of hardware recently, guitars, amps, digital recorders etc.etc. so now I want Live, Guitar Rig, Alloy and Ozone with some other plugs for special FX and that.

Keep it a bit tidier.

I don't know if it'll make a better mix, or indeed make me a better mixer (I'm a bit lazy as you know. :-)) but I do like the ozone style workflow and the modules always sound great to me so I thought Alloy will sound good to. I have dl'd the dmoe and will give it a good working over this weekend. :D

...before I drop the $250. 8)

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:26 am

Good decision.

I never buy anything without demoing it first. I demoed Live 5 (near the end of it's cycle) before eventually buying Live 6 and no matter how much I like a company, even my beloved Sonalksis, I demo things first. Where a demo isn't available (as was the case for Cubase etc, C5 does now have a demo if you have a syncrosoft key), I hung around friends who had bought it and messed around with it there to see if I liked it.

There's nothing worse than an Impulse buy, realizing it's sh*t or totally insuitable in your workflow and then having to put it up on ebay or whatever for significantly less money ...

Let us know how you get on with it. In the past, Izotope has been a bit of a so-so company for me, I didn't go a bundle on Spectron and Trash, and while some elements of Ozone are great, some parts of it are less so (IMO), but I try to keep an open mind on this stuff. T-Racks used to be less than special for example, but the last round of T-Racks and their plugins was massively improved and certain plugs very impressive.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:23 pm

leedsquietman wrote:There's nothing worse than an Impulse buy, realizing it's sh*t or totally insuitable in your workflow and then having to put it up on ebay or whatever for significantly less money ...
amen,
solid research and always trying yourself first as extensively as possible, unless it right away jumps at you (which can happen in rare cases)
is a huge money saver and time saver in the long run and will make your setup way more effective.

btw, what about checking the sonalksis deal at dontcrack.com?
*** Image GAFM ***

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:11 pm

I already own most of Sonalksis's plugins. But I would definately recommend it for anyone who doesn't, you will get some really classy plugins for a massive reduction. The whole bundle of plugins for $599 is an insanely cheap price for so many quality plugins.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:14 pm

leedsquietman wrote:I already own most of Sonalksis's plugins. But I would definately recommend it for anyone who doesn't, you will get some really classy plugins for a massive reduction. The whole bundle of plugins for $599 is an insanely cheap price for so many quality plugins.
+1
*** Image GAFM ***

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:34 pm

I did have a fiddle with the sonalksis stuff some time ago. Prolly my ears, but I couldn't hear anything that could justify the cash...maybe I shall have another listen.

I'm struggling this weekend as I decided to build a new studio bench so I've just dismantled everything... :lol:

Thats my weekend gone! Off to the hardware store!

shimmy

Post by shimmy » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:03 pm

cpu meter?
Last edited by shimmy on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

DuckieTheAnk

Post by DuckieTheAnk » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:54 pm

shimmy wrote:CPU LOAD METER...Alloy affects this greatly or what? Sometimes I try a DEMO version of a vst and the CPU METER is not bad. But, when I buy the full version, that METER gets higher.
I've bought it! I love it. Yes, it do make an impact on you CPU if you use all the processors at once. but remember, if you use the EQ, exciter, transient designer, the gate/expaneder, the compressors, the de-esser, the limiter, you are using 6-8 high-quality plugins at once. if that didn't make a CPU impact i would be worried...

i really really do LOVE Alloy.

Regards