Got all carpentry and made myself a new studio desk...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
ethios4

Re: Got all carpentry and made myself a new studio desk...

Post by ethios4 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:20 pm

Could you build me a bookcase and ship it over here please? I'll buy you a drink next time I'm on your side of the pond.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:59 pm

beats me wrote:put on the black tablecloth and it was instant class.
Black tablecloth FTW! I did consider painting the legs but then though, nah, this is utilitarian, prettiness don't matter.

I'm with you on ditching it on moving though...too much of a pain to disassemble.

I didn't have one of these when making it though....it has featured many times in my dreams since.

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:29 pm

Nice work Russ. A word of advice though to those who are considering making there own stuff, make it good enough to get the job done but ugly/crappy enough so the wife doesn't start thinking about book shelves, coffee tables, bed side tables etc... this can lead to all sorts of unwanted diversion :wink:
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:36 pm

UKRuss wrote:
beats me wrote:put on the black tablecloth and it was instant class.
Black tablecloth FTW! I did consider painting the legs but then though, nah, this is utilitarian, prettiness don't matter.

I'm with you on ditching it on moving though...too much of a pain to disassemble.

I didn't have one of these when making it though....it has featured many times in my dreams since.

Another nice function of the tablecloth is if your desk or table has an open back which is ideal for sorting out cable issues but nasty on the appearance, is you can let it drape down to the floor in the back which will conceal your cable mess but will still allow you easy access. Just go to a fabric store and buy a long length of material. If your lady/mom/sister/friend is good with the sewing they can maybe hem up the edges after you cut it to size and make it pretty for you.

Since I mostly live in apartments now all my manly and bulky power tools are with my friend along with my ex-girlfriend. Long story but not as bad as it sounds. If I can't find happiness in a relationship myself at least I can take comfort in being instrumental in bringing together another couple that lasted, even if that was in no way my intention. And as a bonus they can also build accessories for their happiness with my tools.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat May 01, 2010 3:50 pm

Believe boys, ain't no way the Mrs is getting too excited about my carpentry skillz...However, the studio desk is A) Flat, B) Level and C) solid with no wobble.

Thats A+ for me.

shimmy

Post by shimmy » Sat May 01, 2010 4:32 pm

Last edited by shimmy on Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat May 01, 2010 6:23 pm

w00t! I am rich and famous!

I'm not am I. :(

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun May 02, 2010 1:50 am

Nice work Russ. The only thing I preferred from before was your monitors on stands. Where they are placed in the 'after' picture, they could benefit from something like Auralex MoPads. Or really push the boat out and get Primacoustic Recoils.

edit - I must learn to read ... you mention they are on foam pads.

Still, there are different grades of foam pads - people scoff at paying for MoPads (and recoils which are 4 times more expensive) but they do work much better than a lot of DIY foam built replicas.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun May 02, 2010 6:42 am

It's strange actually, those old speaker stands are hollow so I never understood the benefit really as the sound obviously reverberates through the stands themselves...unless I was supposed to fill them up with sand or something. But It never really made much difference tbh.

I do hear you about the decoupling being right but...it sounds better in the room now than it did before. I think this is purely down to getting, or being able to get, the speakers in a perfect triangle with my head, sounds great! :D

I do love my Samsons as well though, once you get to know your monitors you know what is working and what isn't and these babies I can always rely on to tell me whats going on.

Rave

Post by Rave » Sun May 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Good job fella. A nice black cloth would finish it off nicely. :)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun May 02, 2010 9:49 pm

UKRuss wrote:unless I was supposed to fill them up with sand or something.
speaker stands are indeed (some models) are supposed to be filled with sand.
*** Image GAFM ***

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon May 03, 2010 3:28 am

Yes. Filled with sand is normal.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon May 03, 2010 7:30 am

I'm glad I didnt though....easier to move. Ebay here they come. :D

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon May 03, 2010 8:29 am

UKRuss wrote:I'm glad I didnt though....easier to move. Ebay here they come. :D
well it is better then the resonator box underneath your speakers you created now... well judging from the pic... and the flat reflecting surface just in front of them... (laying flat on a surface that extends the size of the speakers in front of them)

but you say it sounds good so i think the pic is misleading?
*** Image GAFM ***

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon May 03, 2010 8:45 am

It sounds fine to me. I guess my mixes will prove it one way or the other. :)

Anyone want some speaker stands?