All times are UTC

 
 



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:07 pm 

Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:49 am
Posts: 35
Location: Philly, PA
I frequent this site pretty often, and all i ever hear is talk of dnb/dubstep/electronic music/procedures. Dont get me wrong i appreciate all genres, but i would like to chop it up with ppl of the same genre sometimes. So im call all hip hop/rnb producers. Lets start to make more topic regarding Hip Hop.

_________________
Dual Quad Core|8gb ram|Axion 49|FT Pro|Live 8 Suite|Komplelte 8|Waves Mercury


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:42 pm 

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm
Posts: 8436
Not that there aren't hip hop producers that use Live, but I think most of them use Fruity Loops.

It's cheaper and there's the "follow what others are using" thing, in the case of FL being cheap and PC-centric.
Or in other words, it's ghetto. Very very capable ghetto. If not more capable than Live, really....
Then if it isn't FL, it'll probably be Cubase or Studio One.
The big factor here is that it's more pc-centric and for the amateurs using cracked software, Live was impossible to crack during 8, so I think those are reasons why you don't see as many hip hop producers floating around the Live forum.
PC. Ghetto.

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:58 pm 

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 8:06 pm
Posts: 393
Location: New England
shadx312 wrote:
Not that there aren't hip hop producers that use Live, but I think most of them use Fruity Loops.

It's cheaper and there's the "follow what others are using" thing, in the case of FL being cheap and PC-centric.
Or in other words, it's ghetto. Very very capable ghetto. If not more capable than Live, really....
Then if it isn't FL, it'll probably be Cubase or Studio One.
The big factor here is that it's more pc-centric and for the amateurs using cracked software, Live was impossible to crack during 8, so I think those are reasons why you don't see as many hip hop producers floating around the Live forum.
PC. Ghetto.


most actual hip hop users are probably on pro tools. that's just young kids and beginners and they all flood youtube with crap.

i'm vaguely hip hop, i guess. i love the sound but i find the community pretty frustrating. there's a lot of crap writing and acting, the latter is alright in small doses. whenever i search for hip hop stuff i usually just get annoyed with what i find in terms of tutorials or support.

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:52 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Posts: 14193
Location: The Wild West
keydaking wrote:
I frequent this site pretty often, and all i ever hear is talk of dnb/dubstep/electronic music/procedures. Dont get me wrong i appreciate all genres, but i would like to chop it up with ppl of the same genre sometimes. So im call all hip hop/rnb producers. Lets start to make more topic regarding Hip Hop.


it's a tough crowd.


+1 for most hip hop producers are probably using pro-tools more than anything. that seemed to be the consensus when i got into it. i think RZA spilled the beans.


when you say hip hop... what do you mean? for me, these days, that's Cool Calm Pete radio on Pandora.

BTW, the fact that i have to ask that is the problem. a girl on the street in Oakland once told me "hip hop will break your heart". she was right.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:28 pm 

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 8:06 pm
Posts: 393
Location: New England
H20nly wrote:
keydaking wrote:
I frequent this site pretty often, and all i ever hear is talk of dnb/dubstep/electronic music/procedures. Dont get me wrong i appreciate all genres, but i would like to chop it up with ppl of the same genre sometimes. So im call all hip hop/rnb producers. Lets start to make more topic regarding Hip Hop.


it's a tough crowd.


+1 for most hip hop producers are probably using pro-tools more than anything. that seemed to be the consensus when i got into it. i think RZA spilled the beans.


when you say hip hop... what do you mean? for me, these days, that's Cool Calm Pete radio on Pandora.

BTW, the fact that i have to ask that is the problem. a girl on the street in Oakland once told me "hip hop will break your heart". she was right.



if people wrote better and played instruments it would probably have a stronger foundation as a genre.

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:42 pm 

Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:19 pm
Posts: 871
Location: San Francisco, CA
rakim87 wrote:
H20nly wrote:
keydaking wrote:
I frequent this site pretty often, and all i ever hear is talk of dnb/dubstep/electronic music/procedures. Dont get me wrong i appreciate all genres, but i would like to chop it up with ppl of the same genre sometimes. So im call all hip hop/rnb producers. Lets start to make more topic regarding Hip Hop.


it's a tough crowd.


+1 for most hip hop producers are probably using pro-tools more than anything. that seemed to be the consensus when i got into it. i think RZA spilled the beans.


when you say hip hop... what do you mean? for me, these days, that's Cool Calm Pete radio on Pandora.

BTW, the fact that i have to ask that is the problem. a girl on the street in Oakland once told me "hip hop will break your heart". she was right.



if people wrote better and played instruments it would probably have a stronger foundation as a genre.


there are so many things wrong with that statement i don't even know where to begin

_________________
Hip-Hop, Breakbeat, Glitch, IDM, Dub, & Mashups! Go to:
http://memes.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/memes_33


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:45 pm 

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Posts: 6567
shadx312 wrote:
Not that there aren't hip hop producers that use Live, but I think most of them use Fruity Loops.

It's cheaper and there's the "follow what others are using" thing, in the case of FL being cheap and PC-centric.
Or in other words, it's ghetto. Very very capable ghetto. If not more capable than Live, really....
Then if it isn't FL, it'll probably be Cubase or Studio One.
The big factor here is that it's more pc-centric and for the amateurs using cracked software, Live was impossible to crack during 8, so I think those are reasons why you don't see as many hip hop producers floating around the Live forum.
PC. Ghetto.


Shad my man I think Nathan was closer to the truth when he thought I was a skinny white guy :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:51 pm 

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Posts: 6567
rakim87 wrote:
H20nly wrote:
keydaking wrote:
I frequent this site pretty often, and all i ever hear is talk of dnb/dubstep/electronic music/procedures. Dont get me wrong i appreciate all genres, but i would like to chop it up with ppl of the same genre sometimes. So im call all hip hop/rnb producers. Lets start to make more topic regarding Hip Hop.


it's a tough crowd.


+1 for most hip hop producers are probably using pro-tools more than anything. that seemed to be the consensus when i got into it. i think RZA spilled the beans.


when you say hip hop... what do you mean? for me, these days, that's Cool Calm Pete radio on Pandora.

BTW, the fact that i have to ask that is the problem. a girl on the street in Oakland once told me "hip hop will break your heart". she was right.



if people wrote better and played instruments it would probably have a stronger foundation as a genre.


You have got to be kidding.
The problem is that you didn't say that about rock, pop, punk, or electronic music.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:58 pm 

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Posts: 6567
As a public service I wanna direct you to this

Just skip ahead to 10:13 of the clip to receive the message

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ5d6rDVMb0


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:04 am 

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 8:06 pm
Posts: 393
Location: New England
memes_33 wrote:

there are so many things wrong with that statement i don't even know where to begin

should we all agree with each other in the first place or am i allowed to think? i do not give the slightest shit if hip hop was originally based in sampling

starving student wrote:


You have got to be kidding.
The problem is that you didn't say that about rock, pop, punk, or electronic music.



HA! that may be true but people crapping out garbage remixes left and right and shitting all over them with their fake style and crap writing is debatably worse. even worse a lot of people just look for prepared instrumentals to shit all over.

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:11 am 

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Posts: 6567
rakim87 wrote:
memes_33 wrote:

there are so many things wrong with that statement i don't even know where to begin

should we all agree with each other in the first place or am i allowed to think? i do not give the slightest shit if hip hop was originally based in sampling

starving student wrote:


You have got to be kidding.
The problem is that you didn't say that about rock, pop, punk, or electronic music.



HA! that may be true but people crapping out garbage remixes left and right and shitting all over them with their fake style and crap writing is debatably worse. even worse a lot of people just look for prepared instrumentals to shit all over.

You could be talkin about the plethora of ableton live sets on beat port for all I know, the issue is that you think hiphop has a monopoly on something that it doesn't, for me to act like you don't know that would be insulting your intelligence so what's really real?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:19 am 

Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 8:06 pm
Posts: 393
Location: New England
starving student wrote:


HA! that may be true but people crapping out garbage remixes left and right and shitting all over them with their fake style and crap writing is debatably worse. even worse a lot of people just look for prepared instrumentals to shit all over.

You could be talkin about the plethora of ableton live sets on beat port for all I know, the issue is that you think hiphop has a monopoly on something that it doesn't, for me to act like you don't know that would be insulting your intelligence so what's really real?[/quote]

there doesn't seem to be much rationality or point to what you're saying. you're also speaking for me in terms of the monopoly thing.

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:21 am 

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm
Posts: 5615
starving student wrote:
rakim87 wrote:
if people wrote better and played instruments it would probably have a stronger foundation as a genre.


You have got to be kidding.
The problem is that you didn't say that about rock, pop, punk, or electronic music.


You'll have to excuse ss, logic and attention to detail are not his strong suits.

@ss: the thread isn't about rock, pop, punk, or electronic music. Just because someone makes a statement on a current topic doesn't mean they're making a de facto statement about some other topic. See how that works?

Of course the "better writing" part is true for all styles and genres.

Not sure how one could seriously say that there need to be more people playing instruments in rock, pop, and punk compared to hip hop. Electronic music, maybe.

_________________
Unsound Designer

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:29 am 

Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:08 pm
Posts: 4336
Location: la
90% of the hip hop cats are about hardware, not software imo. Push might change that a bit. maybe

Most of the top dudes are MPC and/or Maschine so the rest follow suit, in general. Too much mucky muck in live for a lot of them.

Pro tools midi is dead simple, solid as hell, and easy to track vocals. Hip hop production is about "simple" and huge vocal stacks.

MPC and Pro tools is the main combo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Where are all the Hip Hop Producers?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:38 am 

Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Posts: 6567
I didn't even take the more instruments part serious so you can consider that something I didn't respond to but the 'writing' , I thought that was funny and outlandish, I'll entertain anyone's opinion at any time no matter how ridiculous it is cough cough stringtapper can vouch for that, but his strong suit isn't mathematics
Or he'd tell you that even making a statement like that only makes sense in broad terms.
My apologies if the monopoly inclination was off base, it seemed to fit.

Btw st you do know he was talking about the foundations of genres in a comparative manner else what would he be using to determine the strength of the foundation in the first place.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC

 
 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group