All times are UTC

Post subject: Sky Ferreira
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:33 pm 

Im liking this girls music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzl3GkRytnE&feature=kp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFCZP1Nz3Ds

I usually dont like music that's played on the radio and have a hard time liking anything made by people ten years younger than myself but this is good music.

Btw Im just guessing its played on the radio because I seen her recently on Jimmy Fallon.

Post subject: Re: Sky Ferreira
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:36 pm 

Emanresu0891 wrote:
Im liking this girls music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzl3GkRytnE&feature=kp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFCZP1Nz3Ds

I usually dont like music that's played on the radio and have a hard time liking anything made by people ten years younger than myself but this is good music.

Btw Im just guessing its played on the radio because I seen her recently on Jimmy Fallon.

'Everything is Embarrassing' produced by devonte hynes is the only song I really like from her.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:11 pm 

You might be surprised what is and isn’t being played on the radio. Not that I listen to the radio either, but I do listen to some “Top current 100” streaming channels from time to time to see what kids are into today. I’ve never heard this artist. I’ve also never heard her on any of the stations I listen to generated by similar artists or genre. There are songs on those stations I think are commercial radio-worthy but they aren’t being played on those top 100 stations either.

I liked the songs but they weren’t special. If I heard them on a streaming station I probably wouldn’t skip them but I wouldn’t buy them either, and I am old school and still actually buy music frequently.

And I noticed she likes to get topless. So there's that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:32 pm 

UPDATE: One of her songs just played on the Top 50 Blogged channel on the Songza app. :)

The name of the station says it all. Songs that are getting a lot of hype on blogs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:31 pm 

Hey it's like she's a cross between Rhianna and The Joker....

Sometimes I wonder when a 'music company' is interviewing new talent, they ask if the person is willing to play certain character to fill a niche that's missing at the time, like in this case it'd be

"Ok right now there isn't a white loner bad girl, she's probably into drugs and may be into stripping every once in awhile but not in a sorority girl on spring break sort of way, but more in a 'daddy touched me' sort of way. Think Billy Idol meets Mommy Dearest. It will fit right into the current 80's trend also. Will you be willing to play the part to be a star, at least until you're forgotten?"

And then secretly she's slipping out the back door to bring her neighbors a potato salad on Easter Sunday.

Not bad, still has that 'brought to you by...an old major label recycling factory' vibe to it though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:57 pm 

^ I remember when the White Stripes came out I had some of the same suspicious thoughts.
Music that plays on nostalgia has been a thing for about 14 years now, I just over look it and listen to the music.
"Grunge" Rock will be the next nostalgic comeback thing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:39 am 

It isn't about music playing on nostalgia, it's just a curiosity about how many basic normal talents that get a chance to be a star, and part of it has to do with playing a certain role; wearing a certain avatar or archetype costume that's marketable to a certain group to fill a niche, like a goth country musician (Chris Gaines?) or a sensitive rapper (Drake). It's the same thing as boys in a boy/girl group, one's bad, one's preppy, one's sporty, etc.
How many of them are costumes is what I mean. I think that's why Rhianna is so much more popular, because she seems authentic. And for every Rhianna there's going to be 20 emulations, not that I'm saying this one is a straight rip; she could be the real deal, I don't really care tbh.

I don't have a problem playing along and enjoying it nonetheless, just most of it seems trite and formulaic. In her case it's not so blatant.
She sounds really familiar though, I think someone must've done a dubstep remix of one of her hits or something.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:05 pm 

As we’ve discussed in other threads I’m digging the 80’s synth pop revival, but that doesn’t mean it’s all good. Image aside, there’s many hopping on that sound bandwagon and in some cases they think just emulating that sound is good enough, kind of like some producers thinking a dollop of wobbles is all you need for a great dubstep track. But I concede that for some listeners the formula is all they need to enjoy it.