All times are UTC

Post subject: Recording Quality
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:56 am 

Hi all,

Basically I am having issues getting a nice sound when recording...

I use a Nagra Ares M microphone (the detachable mic from their Dictaphone range), along with a Tascam 125 interface, recording in to Ableton Live.
And I have a foam cover on the mic, then a pop shield. Also use Gate to cut out the background noise a bit, and compressor to get a nice steady level. And have tried several different types of isolated areas to record my vocals.

But the sound result isn't great. Even with experimenting, I cant seem to get a nice clean sound that fits well with the music.

Is there any other way to improve sound quality please...
Maybe any tricks to force my vocals to match key better?
Or some kind of dampening trick to make vocals blend with music better?

I have used Melodyne a bit, but it just doesn't have the result I want. It sounds very robotic and fake and over processed.

I have been working on getting the right sound vocals behind my music for a very long time. Its quite frustrating

Post subject: Re: Recording Quality
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:54 pm 

I'd suggest a better microphone for starters. I took a look at the mic you're using and it's hard to imagine that you're ever going to get studio quality vocals from it. Get a nice large-diaphragm condenser mic.

I use a Blue Baby Bottle and love the sound it gives me on vocals, at around $400. Or for something cheaper, look for a Rode NT1-A for around $200 that would do a pretty decent job.