iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

Re: iPad

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:56 pm

yes, we can.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:58 pm

We can do that (100 pages)!!

Don't post very often, but this is a fun thread, so I'll act like I'm working and carry on...

GarageBand iPad plugin support (3rd party)... or maybe even something like rewire:
It's almost a guarantee over time, I think. It's not likely imminent though.
These procs aren't bad, but we're still talking essentially P4D capabilities, with 4-year-old memory capabilities (but low power draw and a thinner OS and programming API).
That's just an estimation, on my part, but I'm probably not TOO far off. To be sure, these aren't close to the Macbook I'm on right now in terms of processing power and memory capability, and no where near an 8-12 core Mac Pro.
Plugins kind of hit limits there pretty quickly, particularly samplers and things like Omnisphere.

On the other hand, I don't know if I care.
I mean, I already have a nice desktop and laptop. For a scratchpad, or playback/mixing device, you don't need Komplete 7, or Omnisphere.

Wonder what the iPad GarageBand instruments are like, anyway. I'm assuming they're similar to "normal" GarageBand, given that you can swap the projects.

- zevo
infinite density, zero volume

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:06 pm

Grr.

You need to think BIGGER and OUT OF THE BOX. lol

Doubling the processing power is a huge deal - as is the 9x increase in graphics power.

There is a new synth app that I've just bought called SynthTronica that works with formants. Bring in any sample - or record your own with the iPad mic - and start playing and manipulating that sample. While you can only edit the formant length in the spectral view, in future updates (or in some other app) you will no doubt be able to do some serious visual manipulation with that formant ala' Alchemy. That requires some serious processing power - depending on how badly you want to fuck up that sample. Adding more samples on top of that original? MORE processing power required, thank you very much.

This is the beginning of real field sample manipulation, and it's going to require raw processing power. :P
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:08 pm

Almost at 100 pages and almost at 12,000 viewings.

:x

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:18 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Grr.

You need to think BIGGER and OUT OF THE BOX. lol

Doubling the processing power is a huge deal - as is the 9x increase in graphics power.

There is a new synth app that I've just bought called SynthTronica that works with formants. Bring in any sample - or record your own with the iPad mic - and start playing and manipulating that sample. While you can only edit the formant length in the spectral view, in future updates (or in some other app) you will no doubt be able to do some serious visual manipulation with that formant ala' Alchemy. That requires some serious processing power - depending on how badly you want to fuck up that sample. Adding more samples on top of that original? MORE processing power required, thank you very much.

This is the beginning of real field sample manipulation, and it's going to require raw processing power. :P

What scares me about all that right there is how soon before our first gen iPad can't handle any new apps beyond a twitter aggregator? :x

And yeah, you could just try to subscribe to a “no new apps” diet, but what about current apps you already have that update to no longer being useable on your first gen iPad? :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:24 pm

Nobody in The Lounge has talked about anything that wasn't Apple related in the last 5 hours (and counting)

:mrgreen:

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:31 pm

djsynchro / martinkellogs would be out of their minds right now. Were they still with us. :P

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:35 pm

beats me wrote:

What scares me about all that right there is how soon before our first gen iPad can't handle any new apps beyond a twitter aggregator? :x

And yeah, you could just try to subscribe to a “no new apps” diet, but what about current apps you already have that update to no longer being useable on your first gen iPad? :x

I hear you, and it's something you've been talking a lot about lately. I'd think you're going to get a good 3 year Arc Of Use from various apps.

That kind of thing doesn't bother me as much as developers not in it for the long haul and dropping support. Remember the whole iTouchMIDI thing? Cool app. WAY ahead of it's time. The guy is long gone. With something like touchAble, I'd be in serious shit if they left the scene. Something new will always come around, but.... :|

That's why Ableton needs to get their FUCKING HEAD IN THE GAME in terms of iPad support.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:35 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:djsynchro / martinkellogs would be out of their minds right now. Were they still with us. :P
We'd be on page 114 by now. :)

steko

Post by steko » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:47 pm

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:48 pm

I’m also curious to see how this improved airplay will work. To this point I’ve been severely disappointed in the amount of apps that supposedly airplay video but when I stream them to the Apple TV all I get is the audio and not the video. Will the improvement be by default with the new OS or will each developer have to go in and add some coding to their existing app?

inmazevo

Post by inmazevo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:50 pm

Yeah, Apple phases out old devices faster than some others, usually via OS updates being unsupported on older devices.
I'm always on the fence with that.
On the one hand, I like "charging ahead" with the tech, and not overly bloating (and in some cases hindering) that advancement with backward compatibility. On the other hand, that means you have to accept a certain shelf-life with new Apple gear.

It's not like we don't know that's the deal though.
Still sucks occasionally, but that's the Apple deal. That's what they do, periodically, and they've done it for so long I've sort of gotten used to it.

Knowing this, however, has me flipping back to wanting the newest one, even at a mild premium, just to avoid being out of the game earlier than I want.

I swear, in the last 4 hours, I've gone from wanting a new iPad, to wanting the old one, and back and forth.

I, too, am glad that we have 9 days for the dust to settle, and hopefully get a tear-down and some hands-on reports, before making a decision.

I will say this, though:
iPad 2 is the iPad I was looking for, for the most part. In fact, it's what I expected the first one to be (sans the bigger storage space).

- zevo

(PS - synthtronica looks fun)
infinite density, zero volume

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:52 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:That's why Ableton needs to get their FUCKING HEAD IN THE GAME in terms of iPad support.

are you kidding? Live 8 has been like a nasty rash that finally stopped itching but if you look close enough you can still see it.

this place would be un-fucking believable if every swinging dick who took a coding class before deciding to become a hippie in college writes a music app and all the world's past future present tense DJ/Producers meet here to experiment with these 5 dollar pieces of - :?:
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:08 am

H20nly wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:That's why Ableton needs to get their FUCKING HEAD IN THE GAME in terms of iPad support.

are you kidding? Live 8 has been like a nasty rash that finally stopped itching but if you look close enough you can still see it.
Well, maybe they can get an iPad app right? I mean, maybe it's time for them to think smaller. :P

this place would be un-fucking believable if every swinging dick who took a coding class before deciding to become a hippie in college writes a music app and all the world's past future present tense DJ/Producers meet here to experiment with these 5 dollar pieces of - :?:
Isn't this already happening? :P What does this have to do with Ableton getting into the mobile game? I'm not seeing the connection, but then again my head is SWIMMING with Apple goodness right now. :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:17 am

Must be a shitload of people watching that vid because it's struggling with the playback at times.