iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

Re: iPad

Post by H20nly » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:34 pm

hmmmm...

http://www.cio.com/article/694057/Samsu ... hare_Grows

double post, but meh... amongst LSZ's Apple gloatation it might need to be mentioned twice.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:00 pm

H20nly wrote:hmmmm...

http://www.cio.com/article/694057/Samsu ... hare_Grows

double post, but meh... amongst LSZ's Apple gloatation it might need to be mentioned twice.

And Walmart is the nation’s largest retailer. The fragmentation of Android is on par with Walmart’s isles a week before Christmas. :P

:x

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:05 pm

Would you rather sell 24 million smartphones making an average profit of about $10 on each phone, or 17 million smartphones making an average profit of about $360 on each phone? Apple would win this game even if they were in 10th place.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:42 pm

I wonder if there is ever going to be a time when Apple ventures into some new territory and the counter from the competition isn’t “ours is cheaper and only buggy as fuck if you aren’t a black belt in operating systems”.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:14 pm

^ not as long as they maintain their "you can't change shit, we change it" policy. but hey; "it just works". obviously.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:Would you rather sell 24 million smartphones making an average profit of about $10 on each phone, or 17 million smartphones making an average profit of about $360 on each phone? Apple would win this game even if they were in 10th place.
i'd be happy either way. :wink:

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:26 pm

H20nly wrote:^ not as long as they maintain their "you can't change shit, we change it" policy. but hey; "it just works". obviously.

I know you’re a PC guy with a single heartstring open to Apple, but don’t you ever get tired of your team never having a counter to Apple that is something to actually get excited about? It’s all “We finally fixed the fuckups from the previous version. Maybe. A solid maybe. At least we didn’t drain your bank account.”

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:40 pm

beats me wrote:
H20nly wrote:^ not as long as they maintain their "you can't change shit, we change it" policy. but hey; "it just works". obviously.

I know you’re a PC guy with a single heartstring open to Apple, but don’t you ever get tired of the different companies making these amazingly hyped up product announcements and when the product finally lands its SHIT?
alternate version of the post

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote: Apple would win this game even if they were in 10th place.

Exactly. Thank you.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:07 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote:

I know you’re a PC guy with a single heartstring open to Apple, but don’t you ever get tired of the different companies making these amazingly hyped up product announcements and when the product finally lands its SHIT?
alternate version of the post

If I were a billionaire I'd totally start a Windows and Android based hardware manufacturing company named Itschit and the company slogan would be "It's what you'd expect. Itschit." :x

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:02 am

you've gotta wonder the whole thing is just a tech version of the wwf cause in all seriousness apple aren't the only folks with big pockets and they don't even have the biggest pockets in the game. what they've done isn't even revolutionary as much as the fact that they did it is the revolutionary thing. why no one else in the game is developing overly appealing tech that they could overcharge for is a mystery. it's easy to do, the japanese have been doing it since godzilla times, it's almost as if in every area of tech apples competitors are taking a dive. the fact that nobody is really putting up a true fight on the stylistic side of things feels almost criminal. what people want is not even a secret anymore, something fishy is going on.
it's kind of like ableton has known for 10 years what people have actually wanted but......

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:20 am

It's not that easy, especially when you're making and spending a ton of money, your company is traded publicly, and there's a board of directors and tons of investors to answer to.

It's the "Chief Jerk" theory of management: you need one person or a small group with very high standards, impeccable taste, and a reputation that they're not to be fucked with and you might get a string of hits like Apple's been able to accomplish. Otherwise, you devolve into design by committee and a bunch of middle managers who are unwilling to take risks because they're trying to cover their own asses, and you end up with mediocrity. The way you get to be Apple is by having people at the top who are willing to say "I don't give a fuck how long you worked on it, or how long we have to delay the launch. It's not good enough. Go back and start over." Most executives don't have the balls to say things like that, because they know if they don't get a product out the door and make this quarter's numbers, it's their ass.

Sony used to be that way, it's no secret that the old Sony was Steve's ideal company. There's an argument to be made that (among other things) rock and roll never would have happened if Sony hadn't developed the cheap, portable transistor radio (which people said was a stupid idea and is now one of the most common case studies in Marketing textbooks). That's deeply influential product design at work. But now look at them. What in Sony's consumer product line screams "I'm the best! I'm unique! I'll make you look cool! Buy me!"?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:18 am

beats me wrote:

I know you’re a PC guy with a single heartstring open to Apple, but don’t you ever get tired of your team never having a counter to Apple that is something to actually get excited about? It’s all “We finally fixed the fuckups from the previous version. Maybe. A solid maybe. At least we didn’t drain your bank account.”
i'm tired of all of it. the truth is; they all have their flaws. tech is pain in the fucking ass. it's a rat race on a performance enhancing crystal meth cocktail with a ginseng boost.

but damn it's funny reading this shit some times :mrgreen:

you gotta admit; at the end of the day it beats the hell outta talkin about Kim Cardassian.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:48 am

you gotta admit; at the end of the day it beats the hell outta talkin about Kim Cardassian
Feel my pain.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:22 am

H20nly wrote:
beats me wrote:

i'm tired of all of it. the truth is; they all have their flaws. tech is pain in the fucking ass. it's a rat race on a performance enhancing crystal meth cocktail with a ginseng boost.

but damn it's funny reading this shit some times :mrgreen:

you gotta admit; at the end of the day it beats the hell outta talkin about Kim Cardassian.

Let's go for a walk, just you and me. You're an IT guy. While not perfect, Apple has been synonymous with terms like "user friendly", "virus free", and "stable". IT should be shooting hot loads all over themselves in the quest for those achievements, but instead you have to work with terms like "industry standard", "cost effective", and "the OS released 10 years ago is reliable. Let's not fuck with it." Every time Microsoft releases a new upgrade the company might be interested in you probably curl up in a fetal position mermering "No. Please no.", but it doesn't have to be that way. It's just the cycle Microsoft has brainwashed IT and corporations into believing is the only option. <--that's more Kool-aide then even Apple delivers, and yet you're doubtful or even resentful of Apple. Who really is your slave master?

Drinks on me.