iPad

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
glitchrock-buddha
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:29 am
Location: The Ableton Live Forum

Re: iPad

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Back to the Ipad.

I heard I could sync over wi-fi now. So I found Settings> General > iTUnes wifi sync. Here it told me that it would be able to sync when my computer was available and the ipad was plugged in. Well, the ipad was plugged in and my computer was on the network with itunes open. But nope nothing. What the hell. :x

So I plugged it in to the computer to sync. I changed some bookmarks around on my mac but when I went to check it on the ipad after syncing, they weren't updated as usual. Plugged it back in and went to the sync tabs. It now tells me that syncing bookmarks is done via icloud. Ok awesome. Now how the hell do I get that to work???!?!! I've tried turning on and off push and all that and messing with every settings I can. Also turned bookmarks sync off and back on, didn't change them. What the hell. :x
Professional Shark Jumper.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: iPad

Post by beats me » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:01 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:What Amazon needed to do...again...is create their own incredible OS. I'll never understand how a company like that...which clearly has the financial resources needed...would want to attach themselves to Google. wtf? With more end-to-end control they could have actually followed the Apple model and kept things tight.

Jebus, they're the closest thing to Apple without actually being Apple. They have a massive retail/rental online presence. They've got solid deals with every single media company out there. If they'd done their own OS then a customer never, in theory, would have ever needed a reason to leave the Amazon ecosystem.

Now?

Now, they're at the fucking MERCY of Google and a 3rd party OS.

ffs.

:x
Well, I like my Kindle Touch but I'll admit my iPad has me spoiled and even though I mentally tried to prepare myself that it isn't an iPad I still find myself trying to pull off iPad-like gestures which are having ZERO effect. :x I haven't bought a book on it yet. I think the first book I'll buy is the recently published book of Jobs' email responses to the random masses. :P Which is only available on the Kindle. WTF? Seriously. :x

There's more rumors of Cook cooking up some "over my dead body" products that Jobs widely rejected, namely a 7" iPad (Kindle killer? :P ) and a 4" screen on the next iPhone which Jobs felt was too unwieldy and unnatural to use. But when I updated to Lion I found Apple's "natural" direction for scrolling in relationship to a track pad unnatural so I switched it back. Sorry Steve! :x

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: iPad

Post by beats me » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:02 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Back to the Ipad.

I heard I could sync over wi-fi now. So I found Settings> General > iTUnes wifi sync. Here it told me that it would be able to sync when my computer was available and the ipad was plugged in. Well, the ipad was plugged in and my computer was on the network with itunes open. But nope nothing. What the hell. :x

So I plugged it in to the computer to sync. I changed some bookmarks around on my mac but when I went to check it on the ipad after syncing, they weren't updated as usual. Plugged it back in and went to the sync tabs. It now tells me that syncing bookmarks is done via icloud. Ok awesome. Now how the hell do I get that to work???!?!! I've tried turning on and off push and all that and messing with every settings I can. Also turned bookmarks sync off and back on, didn't change them. What the hell. :x

Not to get wordy here, but the current state of air sync and iCloud is SHIT.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: iPad

Post by beats me » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:17 am

Jesus, The Beatles were fans of the quick fade. It's as if for every song somebody was in the studio yelling "We're reaching 3 minutes. Kill it!" Hard to believe songs that short stick in our memories.

iPad.

:x

Correction. Most Beatles songs don't breach the 2:30 barrier. 8O

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: iPad

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:36 pm

beats me wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:Back to the Ipad.

I heard I could sync over wi-fi now. So I found Settings> General > iTUnes wifi sync. Here it told me that it would be able to sync when my computer was available and the ipad was plugged in. Well, the ipad was plugged in and my computer was on the network with itunes open. But nope nothing. What the hell. :x

So I plugged it in to the computer to sync. I changed some bookmarks around on my mac but when I went to check it on the ipad after syncing, they weren't updated as usual. Plugged it back in and went to the sync tabs. It now tells me that syncing bookmarks is done via icloud. Ok awesome. Now how the hell do I get that to work???!?!! I've tried turning on and off push and all that and messing with every settings I can. Also turned bookmarks sync off and back on, didn't change them. What the hell. :x

Not to get wordy here, but the current state of air sync and iCloud is SHIT.
THIS.

It's why I immediately turned off all iCloud functions on my devices. It's way too early to bother with this mess.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: iPad

Post by beats me » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:09 am

Unlike for PCs, there's no low budget late night commercials on how to ungun your Mac. :x

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: iPad

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:52 pm

It's still astonishing how you can't create photo albums on your iDevices.

Fucking APPLE ASSHOLES.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

abletoff
Posts: 922
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:15 am
Location: rome italy

Re: iPad

Post by abletoff » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:57 pm

My iPad 2 fell on the marble floor yesterday. It is now very slightly bent, it seems to work properly but I have a pity feeling as letting it fall is a mortal sin.
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)
Image

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: iPad

Post by starving student » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:22 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:It's still astonishing how you can't create photo albums on your iDevices.

Fucking APPLE ASSHOLES.

:x
how quickly they turn :mrgreen:

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: iPad

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:40 pm

abletoff wrote:My iPad 2 fell on the marble floor yesterday. It is now very slightly bent, it seems to work properly but I have a pity feeling as letting it fall is a mortal sin.

Correct.

My 1st gen has a slight dent in the back. Every time I hold the iPad I feel it and, when I do, I know that somewhere a magical unicorn is screaming.

:(
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: iPad

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:44 pm

starving student wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:It's still astonishing how you can't create photo albums on your iDevices.

Fucking APPLE ASSHOLES.

:x
how quickly they turn :mrgreen:

Hah!

If you follow this thread, you'll actually notice that beats and I are probably the most hyper-critical of Apple and it's many faults. We're this way because when someone or something you love has achieved near perfection, the remaining flaws stand out as monumental fuckups.

:x

I know this seems odd given that we're usually licking the dirty asshole of Steve Jobs (alive or dead), but nonetheless it's true. It's a shame one can't filter to just the negative posts from beats and I, because I'm willing to bet that they make up 40% of our posts.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: iPad

Post by beats me » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:28 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
starving student wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:It's still astonishing how you can't create photo albums on your iDevices.

Fucking APPLE ASSHOLES.

:x
how quickly they turn :mrgreen:

Hah!

If you follow this thread, you'll actually notice that beats and I are probably the most hyper-critical of Apple and it's many faults. We're this way because when someone or something you love has achieved near perfection, the remaining flaws stand out as monumental fuckups.

:x


I know this seems odd given that we're usually licking the dirty asshole of Steve Jobs (alive or dead), but nonetheless it's true. It's a shame one can't filter to just the negative posts from beats and I, because I'm willing to bet that they make up 40% of our posts.

:x
I read awhile back that some Apple store employee got canned for talking some minor shit about Apple on a social network and his profile was even set to private. This thread serves as testimony I won't be getting a job at Apple. :x

I'm going to go read my Kindle now. :P :x

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: iPad

Post by starving student » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:46 am

hows your kindle at journaling?

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: iPad

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:47 am

beats me wrote:I'm going to go read my Kindle now. :P :x

*Loops covers the ears of Steve Jobs' corpse.*

"Don't listen, my Liege. Don't listen."

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Hidden Driveways
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:13 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: iPad

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:16 pm

iCloud sync is mega-fail. And this whole business of "now you'll be able to sync your iPhone with your computer wirelessly" is mortal-fail. Yes, you can sync through WiFi, but the phone needs to be plugged into an AC outlet. AC outlet = wire. Wire = wireless fail. iCloud = I don't even know what to make of it. All I know is that when I first set it up, the very first thing it did was warn me that my iCloud was full. So I noodled around in the settings, and now it pushes some iPhone photos over to my iPad, and this morning I discovered that many of the things I had recently entered into my Google Calendar are simply gone. They were there a couple of days ago, and now they're lost in the cloud (I suppose). Mega-fail.

Post Reply