iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Tarekith

New iPad review

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:45 pm

The new iPad is interesting. First thing I noticed was the weight difference with the iPad2, and that it was thicker. I mean, I knew ahead of time about this, but on paper the differences looked like you wouldn't be able to notice them. Definitely noticeable after so long with the iPad2, not a problem for me, but definitely noticeable.

Text everywhere is super sharp now, and that's the main reason I ugraded. Graphics are hit or miss still depending on the app or where they are from. Pictures in the camera roll are really improved, as are my higher res movies. Digital magazines are either beautiful, or look worse than the iPad2 depending on how they are created. Text in the new Sound On Sound USA app looks like ass now, and it was great on the 2. :(

Overall not really too different from what I expected.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

LoopStationZebra

Re: iPad

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Whoa whoa. So native 1024x768 resolution apps/mags are hit or miss in terms of image quality on the new iPad?

Please tell me that's not the case.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:25 pm

BEATS THE QUALITY OF REPORTING ON YOUR NEW IPAD HAS BEEN COMPLETE SHIT.

EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:05 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:BEATS THE QUALITY OF REPORTING ON YOUR NEW IPAD HAS BEEN COMPLETE SHIT.

EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

This.

I am literally drowning my anger in alchohol right now. :x

This drink isn't half bad.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:01 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Whoa whoa. So native 1024x768 resolution apps/mags are hit or miss in terms of image quality on the new iPad?

Please tell me that's not the case.

For the most part apps seem to be ok, though it depends on how they are generating their text. Sometimes it can be a little fuzzier than on the iPad2 if the text is part of an image that's scaled up. Not as bad as say the conversion from earlier iPhone apps to iPad scaling was, but noticeable.

Things like magazines are much more variable. Here's a screenshot someone took of the SoundonSound magazine on te new iPad for instance:

http://www.ooberman.net/dan/pixels.PNG

You can see the text is very pixelated, which is not the case on the iPad 2. The SOS team is looking into in this case, but I think we're still in one of those situations where it'll be a little while as developers get everything updated. One downside of all this is that apps that are Retina optimized for the iPad are a lot bigger now. The new Garageband is 3 times larger than it was just two weeks ago, as are most of the Apple apps. A magazine that is 180MB an issue (the average for most), will now be closer to 500MB.
Tarekith

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:04 pm

There needs to be more available where I can really tell the screen res difference. The one thing I did was go to the Apple home page on both the new iPad and the iPad 2 and you can really tell the difference in color saturation and then you zoom in on the picture it's still quite detailed on the new iPad but gets blurry quick on the iPad 2.

AS far as weight, my bareback new iPad feels about the same weight as my iPad 2 with a rubber case on the back.

It took a good 2 hours for it to copy everything from my backup of the iPad 2. After that I got into a clusterfuck mess of trying to get the new router to work. Then the old router wouldn't work either. Now I got the old router working again. I'll try the new one again tomorrow. You really do feel like something died when you don't have an internet connection. :x

But of course that caused me to sign up for 4G on the new iPad a bit sooner than I originally wanted to, and loading web pages was faster but not exactly nipping at wifi's feet. :x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:42 pm

The biggest difference for me (and what I bought it for) was text, that right away is instantly clearer. But yeah, when it comes to images it's hit or miss about how obvious the difference is, especially online.
Tarekith

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:01 am

best review evuuh...http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/6npa

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:56 am

Man, the text on the iPad1/2 is great. I do a ton of reading with iBooks/Kindle App/Nook app....never had a problem. It's crisp and fine. I did see my first 3rd gen iPad today and, while it's clearer, it's not like the 1 and 2 were shitty. :?

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:00 am

this pisses me off, give me something better to read about the new ipad than it's reading ability dammit :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:19 am

It's faster. Sorta. It's heavier. :x It's thicker. :x This is progress. :|

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:24 am

notice how nobody's talkin about how superduper the extra power is :x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:57 am

Not noticeable at all, it's all for the new display resolution. Honestly, other than the clearer display, it just feels like a thicker, heavier iPad2.
Tarekith

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:57 am

Notice that there's not the usual DELUGE of reviews and comment on the interwebs. 8O

Certainly not like there was for the iPad2

Rave

Post by Rave » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:43 am

They seem easier to purchase too. My bro walked in and got the base 4g model yesterday. No queues no fuss.

I am concerned about the weight how does it compare to a first gen iPad?