iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

Re: iPad

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:41 pm

if you can access what is on the "drive" aka iPod... then you can play those tracks with Windows Media Player. so move your headphone jack.

look at it like this... when you plug it in the computer it is recognized a removable storage. a "map" is made that contains the information about what is on the drive... the OS on the PC wins over the OS on the iPod for access to the files...

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Wifi sync with the iPhone really is an EPIC PIECE OF SHIT.

omfg.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:02 pm

H20nly wrote:if you can access what is on the "drive" aka iPod... then you can play those tracks with Windows Media Player. so move your headphone jack.

look at it like this... when you plug it in the computer it is recognized a removable storage. a "map" is made that contains the information about what is on the drive... the OS on the PC wins over the OS on the iPod for access to the files...

That’s not a fanboy a solution and therefor not the proper solution.

The proper solution is to get yet another $29 power adaptor I can leave at to plug it into to charge while playing. :x

Your solution is some kind of hybrid abomination of playing my iPod library with a Windows player. Disgusting, if even possible. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:16 pm

Microsoft wants Apple to lower their standard 30% cut for Office’s iOS subscription that allows desktop access.

Apple: Oh Hells no! We haven’t done it for anybody else and we’re not doing it for you.

First I’d like to know exactly what this subscription does. If it just allows you to access files you created on the desktop version of Office it seems like a bullshit subscription to begin with that should just be part of the standard purchase.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:37 pm

beats me wrote:
H20nly wrote:if you can access what is on the "drive" aka iPod... then you can play those tracks with Windows Media Player. so move your headphone jack.

That’s not a fanboy a solution and therefor not the proper solution.

The proper solution is to get yet another $29 power adaptor I can leave at to plug it into to charge while playing. :x

Your solution is some kind of hybrid abomination of playing my iPod library with a Windows player. Disgusting, if even possible. :x
well, that's the difference between me and Apple... i actually want to help, and free of charge at that vs. you're fucked unless you buy more shit. :idea: :x
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:39 am

beats me wrote:Microsoft wants Apple to lower their standard 30% cut for Office’s iOS subscription that allows desktop access.

Apple: Oh Hells no! We haven’t done it for anybody else and we’re not doing it for you.

First I’d like to know exactly what this subscription does. If it just allows you to access files you created on the desktop version of Office it seems like a bullshit subscription to begin with that should just be part of the standard purchase.

Uh. The apps will be free. You'll have to pay a subscription, however, to be able to edit files and transfer them back and forth to your desktop via the CLOUD.

lol.

Fucking Microsoft. Just charge $10 for the app and offer everything and be done with it.

ffs.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:16 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote:Microsoft wants Apple to lower their standard 30% cut for Office’s iOS subscription that allows desktop access.

Uh. The apps will be free. You'll have to pay a subscription, however, to be able to edit files and transfer them back and forth to your desktop via the CLOUD.

lol.

Fucking Microsoft. Just charge $10 for the app and offer everything and be done with it.

ffs.

That’s sure shooting themselves in the foot with a lot of customers. The common man personally doesn’t use (need) Office to the point of wanting to pay a monthly subscription.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:20 pm

^ the common man doesn't want to pay for it at all. oh, don't kid yourself... they want to use Word all the time... they want to use Excel... they have occasion to want Power Point as well... but they always want to know if "you have a spare copy of _____". as if by owning it someone is obligated to share it with anyone and everyone who takes a class or needs to open a document that their school, their kid's school, their boss, their grandma and and anyone else who might send over a .doc, .xls, or a .ppt file that crosses their personal computing path in life.

but yeah, you're right. no one wants to pay.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:03 pm

H20nly wrote:^ the common man doesn't want to pay for it at all. oh, don't kid yourself... they want to use Word all the time... they want to use Excel... they have occasion to want Power Point as well... but they always want to know if "you have a spare copy of _____". as if by owning it someone is obligated to share it with anyone and everyone who takes a class or needs to open a document that their school, their kid's school, their boss, their grandma and and anyone else who might send over a .doc, .xls, or a .ppt file that crosses their personal computing path in life.

but yeah, you're right. no one wants to pay.

No, I didn’t say nobody wants to pay for anything. They don’t want to pay a subscription. Apple charges $10 a piece for each of their Office product counters, so $30 total. That’s very reasonable and you can still endlessly cloud sync without a subscription. There’s no reason Microsoft couldn’t follow the same structure and I think people would be willing to pay upfront to use Office on their idevice.

Making it free but forcing you to pay for a subscription is, well, bullshit. Microsoft is making you subscribe for even minimal use. Just 1 year of Microsoft 365 is $72. Again, that is bullshit. :x

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:35 pm

I dont know why any normal person should ever need Office. I am sure it is great for big enterprises with hundreds or thousands of employees but not individuals or small enterprises, for whom it is overkill. I regret not switching to Numbers earlier-somehow brainwashed that Office is the standard. Learnt Excel at school, spending hours learning new versions, so I know Excel & Word OK. Took me maybe half an hour to learn Numbers, now do my accounts, any Excel jobs, at least 4 x faster compared to Office. Can save in Office formats, have all my documents available at all times, if I dont have iPad with me, have all contracts, price-lists, press kits, infos etc on iPhone.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:43 am

Logitech's Easy-Switch keyboard will let you switch between using with your computer and 2 idevices at the push of a button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyBKfITAcW4

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:41 am

rikhyray wrote:I dont know why any normal person should ever need Office.
then you've never worked in a large office. possibly never been to college either.

we're literally surrounded by Office and its output.
rikhyray wrote:I am sure it is great for big enterprises with hundreds or thousands of employees but not individuals or small enterprises
these hundreds of thousands of employees aren't normal people?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:46 am

beats me wrote:Logitech's Easy-Switch keyboard will let you switch between using with your computer and 2 idevices at the push of a button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyBKfITAcW4

FUCKING AWESOME.

That well may be the product of the year, right there. Jebus.

8O

I'm also glad it supports Windows. ffs. That vid is misleading. Switching between my work PC, MacBook, and iPad whilst at my desk? omfg. PRICELESS.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:45 am

H20nly wrote: then you've never worked in a large office. possibly never been to college either.
we're literally surrounded by Office and its output.
Well, that I am musician, and by grace of music gods, never had to be work in large office which does not mean, I have limited mental abilities or am some inferior human being, compared to "large office workers". Regarding my academic background, before deciding for professional musician career, I made it up to PhD though dont think it is required to understand Office, which as I mentioned had in my computer school and know rather well how to use.
However even even if I was "uneducated" musician who never been to collage I do not think it would disqualify me from judging sense of using application that is overkill, while there exist plenty of more suitable options, able to handle Excel or Word formats.
We are surrounded by polluted air but that does not mean it is good, healthy for us.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:02 am

H20nly wrote: we're literally surrounded by Office and its output.

i think you are missing his point. the iWork alternatives to Excel/Word/Powerpoint bloatware are quicker and easier to use for the tasks that 99% of people need MS Office for.