iPad

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: iPad

Post by H20nly » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:50 pm

stringtapper wrote:I actually just tested the address method with him and for some reason it sends the text fine, but sends it with a return number that isn't the same as your actual number you're sending from, soooo I don't know what that's about.
which carrier is it?

also on the group message thing. tell your friend to look for an MMS option from whatever menus he has available... maybe thats the catch. i can't remember for sure, i eluded to this in my post on the prior page.

what he's probably doing is making a text...then sending it to X number of people and it splits it to each one. so he needs to find a group setting. i'd bet my left nut it's in there. he just needs to try a different way/option. i know it can be done because i had two friends with iPhones when i had an Android and we all chatted it up in a single thread. one of them even started a side conversation with me because she was so appalled by what the other girl had said about her tits or something. these two conversations were happening simultaneously

stringtapper
Posts: 6276
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: iPad

Post by stringtapper » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:57 pm

H20nly wrote:
stringtapper wrote:I actually just tested the address method with him and for some reason it sends the text fine, but sends it with a return number that isn't the same as your actual number you're sending from, soooo I don't know what that's about.
which carrier is it?

also on the group message thing. tell your friend to look for an MMS option from whatever menus he has available... maybe thats the catch. i can't remember for sure, i eluded to this in my post on the prior page.

what he's probably doing is making a text...then sending it to X number of people and it splits it to each one. so he needs to find a group setting. i'd bet my left nut it's in there. he just needs to try a different way/option. i know it can be done because i had two friends with iPhones when i had an Android and we all chatted it up in a single thread. one of them even started a side conversation with me because she was so appalled by what the other girl had said about her tits or something. these two conversations were happening simultaneously
AT&T

Sorry I wasn't clear, we've had the group texting thing between phones figured out. It's the Messages thing for me that's the issue (not really a biggie).
Unsound Designer

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: iPad

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:12 am

derp. i don't know why i didn't catch what you were saying before. i think this will make sense when you think it through...

you would have to use an email client for the message to show up with your name in it... i sent one to myself using Outlook and my name shows up because it's configured in the client. so yeah, it won't have the phone number unless you set that up as your name in the client. if you use hotmail or gmail etc. you would have to change your name on the settings page to show up as well.

so that's where your name would come from...

BUT... it's still sent from an email server so the reply has to go back through AT&T

clearly the process needs to be refined. maybe someone at some company like Apple will come up with a... wait... :x

stringtapper
Posts: 6276
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: iPad

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:17 am

H20nly wrote:ok ST...

i just feel sorry for beats me. he thinks Apple is perfect, but he can't remember the last time he didn't own all Apple products... i.e. he doesn't know any better.

EVERY company has their flaws... their high points... and their low points... in all fairness though... Apple has done some fucking cool shit during the last 10 years. no denying it. i'm just pointing out that they are simply packaging things neatly just as often, if not more often... than they are really inventing something that was not their before.

i'll stop now. :x
I use almost all Apple gear. The Xbox is the one place where I deviate from that because I need to have my silent murder simulations in HD. :twisted:

I use Macs because of the OS first and foremost. The combination of OS X, iOS, iTunes, and AppleTV lets me integrate the OS I use for my work with devices I like to use for entertainment. It's the seamlessness when it comes to the correspondence between interfaces that makes it the best IMO (although AppleTV's GUI needs an overhaul). I'm sure the combination Windows, Windows Phone, Surface, and Xbox is an awesome experience, but alas, my choice comes down to the core OS that I use for work.
Unsound Designer

stringtapper
Posts: 6276
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:21 pm

Re: iPad

Post by stringtapper » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:18 am

H20nly wrote:you would have to use an email client for the message to show up with your name in it... i sent one to myself using Outlook and my name shows up because it's configured in the client. so yeah, it won't have the phone number unless you set that up as your name in the client. if you use hotmail or gmail etc. you would have to change your name on the settings page to show up as well.

so that's where your name would come from...

BUT... it's still sent from an email server so the reply has to go back through AT&T
Yeah that makes sense.
Unsound Designer

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: iPad

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:40 am

H20nly wrote:

i just feel sorry for beats me. he thinks Apple is perfect
No I don't. You have a couple months before Outside Lands to reread this entire thread and then apologize for saying that in person.

:x

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: iPad

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:43 am

Best article title of the year

NFC Stands For Nobody Fucking Cares, And Apple Gets That

:P

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/12/nfc/

:x

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: iPad

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:22 am

:lol:



i'm stoked :D



:x

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: iPad

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:28 am

stringtapper wrote:
H20nly wrote:ok ST...

i just feel sorry for beats me. he thinks Apple is perfect, but he can't remember the last time he didn't own all Apple products... i.e. he doesn't know any better.

EVERY company has their flaws... their high points... and their low points... in all fairness though... Apple has done some fucking cool shit during the last 10 years. no denying it. i'm just pointing out that they are simply packaging things neatly just as often, if not more often... than they are really inventing something that was not their before.

i'll stop now. :x
I use almost all Apple gear. The Xbox is the one place where I deviate from that because I need to have my silent murder simulations in HD. :twisted:

I use Macs because of the OS first and foremost. The combination of OS X, iOS, iTunes, and AppleTV lets me integrate the OS I use for my work with devices I like to use for entertainment. It's the seamlessness when it comes to the correspondence between interfaces that makes it the best IMO
i should have added that to the pluses in my spiel. i do like the way my iPhone works with my iMac... so i see that.

BUT... Android and Windows are not the same company and they work together just fine. that ease of use + price point x the masses... /time is what we are watching unfold.

agreed on the need to have a plane for the slaughter. Skyrim is my rath manifestation of choice right now... or Assassin's Creed 3 for those spiteful days. :x

Komodovaran
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:20 am

Re: iPad

Post by Komodovaran » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:52 am

beats me wrote:Best article title of the year

NFC Stands For Nobody Fucking Cares, And Apple Gets That

:P

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/12/nfc/

:x
Except that 90% of the commenters regard this as a shitty article.

:x

Angstrom
Posts: 14722
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: iPad

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:37 am

I'm in the market for a new phone and fully expected myself to be getting something Appley, a 5s most likely.
But looking at the current market its amazing how far they have slipped against the competition. On one list of "the top 20 phones" it put them in fourth! Weird.

If you were wondering - the HTC One came first.

Tarekith
Posts: 17633
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Re: iPad

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:54 pm

Remember that list was made by Windows users though.

Angstrom
Posts: 14722
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: iPad

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Tarekith wrote:Remember that list was made by Windows users though.
is it? You'd think that windows users would put a windows phone somewhere in the top ten though

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and ... day-645440

Of course this is just some dude in an office somewhere, it's not gospel, but considering the last 10 years have seen the iSomething at the top of every chart, and the phrase "iPhone beater" has served mainly as a joke about how nobody is beating iPhone no matter how hard they try. That any poll would put them not even second, but fourth, was unthinkable 4 or 5 years ago.

H20nly
Posts: 15844
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: iPad

Post by H20nly » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:36 pm

walk into a few carrier shops... look around at the various staff and see what they are using i.e. clipped to their belts and whatnot. you'll get a more honest picture from that than anything... if a phone is prone to failures... they see the pattern first.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: iPad

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:47 pm

I have absolutely no need for it, but I’d really like to get one of those new 11” MBAs. I think it would be perfect for my level of computer based music on the go. But I never do music on the go. The closest I come is occasionally DJing with Traktor on my 13” MBA. I don’t think the smaller screen size would have a big negative impact on that.

:x

Post Reply