iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
mrdelurk

Re: iPad

Post by mrdelurk » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:12 am

Writer gets locked out of his iPad for 49 YEARS after his 3-year-old son tried to enter the wrong password too many times

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:25 pm

mrdelurk wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:12 am
Writer gets locked out of his iPad for 49 YEARS after his 3-year-old son tried to enter the wrong password too many times
:lol: ouch. that sucks

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:44 am

I've been hearing the new big boy iPad Pro aren't a good jam for music producers. Beyond just removing the headphone jack music producers are also running into glitch issues long before they did on the previous generation. :x

On the positive side I'm saving $1,000+ now. :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:48 am

I read a lot about that on the Audiobus forums, but honestly I have't had a single issue with my Pro 11", it's definitely a step up from the 10.5" I had before. The headphone jack going is unfortunate, but the writing's been on the wall for awhile now so I don't know why people seem shocked.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

crshm

Post by crshm » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:07 am

Gaz Williams rants about the iPad Pro in this interview.
https://youtu.be/5yXbxCG1Gbk

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:46 pm

The latest generation of iPad pros have actually finally enticed me enough for me to seriously consider getting one. Quite an investment, though, especially since Apple charge so much for storage space, and because the Apple Pencil comes on top of that. I'd primarily use the iPad for design related stuff; I see so much praise for Procreate, but it would also be cool to have a mobile music production unit.

To seasoned users: how much on-board storage space have you found you need?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:51 pm

I always just get the lowest and cheapest Pro models, 32 or 64 GB is fine for me. I don't keep a ton of apps I'm not using on it, and media files get transferred to it as needed.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:24 pm

sporkles wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:46 pm
The latest generation of iPad pros have actually finally enticed me enough for me to seriously consider getting one. Quite an investment, though, especially since Apple charge so much for storage space, and because the Apple Pencil comes on top of that. I'd primarily use the iPad for design related stuff; I see so much praise for Procreate, but it would also be cool to have a mobile music production unit.

To seasoned users: how much on-board storage space have you found you need?
I have 256G on my iPad. I probably won’t go higher but I’m really pushing the space limit because I like my entire music library on there for when there is no WiFi available, happens more than you’d think. Also video and photo storage has become an issue since I’ve started getting into video production.

If we’re talking the 12.9 Pro I’ve seen complaints about them for music production from removing the headphone jack to music apps starting to glitch and freeze long before they did on the previous generation iPad.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:32 pm

I was under the impression that the 11" and the 12.9" were identical, save for the size?

Anyway: are there any non-Apple fanboys in this thread? I'd like to know how an iPad works alongside a PC; are there major advantages missed by not being all Apple?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:12 pm

There are some third party methods for integrating iOS apps as vsts. But I don’t know what the user experience is like with that. I have a windows computer but hardly touch my computers anymore. I just enjoy using the iPad.

Something Windows does miss out on though with regard to that kind of connectivity is the ability on macs to set the iPad or iPhone as an actual audio device and be able to send and receive midi and audio with it. I don’t know the finer quirks of it but it is nice that it’s a readily available feature.

Aside from that, I’d imagine the only other thing to consider is file transfer. This can vary greatly depending on options given in an app, and your use of file systems inside iOS. Those too are kind of tricky, but it seems many people have pretty good luck using Dropbox. If you already have that, it should be light hassle getting things sorted. Much easier to deal with than trying to use iTunes and The connector as your file transfer gateway.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:03 am

sporkles wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:32 pm
I was under the impression that the 11" and the 12.9" were identical, save for the size?

Anyway: are there any non-Apple fanboys in this thread? I'd like to know how an iPad works alongside a PC; are there major advantages missed by not being all Apple?
I use an app called FileBrowser by stratospherix. I've used it for ages. It allows me to log onto my shares on my local PC network, and I can send a file from or to either direction (EG sending files from iPad to PC). I don't use my iPad for much these days though. I can't really stand making music on it, so it's a glorified control surface really.

https://www.stratospherix.com/products/filebrowser/

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu May 23, 2019 8:37 pm

So I went ahead and got an iPad Pro 11", and I really like it so far, but does anyone know of a dongle that will let me connect both a USB MIDI keyboard and a simple pair of headphones? I tried with Bluetooth phones, but the delay was immense. I got the Apple USB-C to 3.5 jack, but that eats up the only port on the device...

What made me a little annoyed was that a third-party USB-C to 3.5" didn't work. :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu May 23, 2019 11:46 pm

You should be able to hook up both the keyboard and headphones with Bluetooth.

I cannot imagine why you got the delay. I would try forgetting them and re-adding them. Or try another set of headphones as a test... Something is amiss. Maybe restart the iPad.

oh and, congrats!
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:27 pm

For midi you can get very useful and reliable latency. For audio, it is not currently possible.

As for connections, for previous iPads and iPhones you were stuck getting strictly apple brand products in order to make connections.

But on the late model pros with USB C you can use almost any brand USB C hub on the market. I suggest one with charging capabilities at least. There is however a little bug with some of the ones that have built in audio where you need to disconnect and reconnect it if you’ve been away from it a while before it recognizes the audio jack as a possible output.

Additionally, many of these hubs offer the more common variety of USB that supports many audio interfaces and USB hubs. With a USB hub connected you can connect multiple midi controllers plus an audio interface (allowing for headphone out).

The only thing I would keep in mind is not to go TOO cheap. You don’t want some lousy hub that has bad wiring and power standards produced in a sweatshop bricking your iPad. But things with great reviews available for MacBooks etc or one’s meant for iPad should all be viable options.