iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
LoopStationZebra

Re: iPad

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:41 pm

I'm still rocking bareback on all my iOS devices.

Though both iPads do have soft zip cases for transport.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:00 pm

I will say too that the new ipad's battery seems to die real fast. You can watch it tick down as you use it. Also, I think it was at full when I went to work yesterday and was at about 80% when I came home.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Do you have any apps that use gps running in the background?
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:57 pm

more on this please, that's def something to consider.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:17 pm

Just that some apps will be constantly pinging for gps signals, even if you arent actively using them. Sometimes I'll forget to stop tracking with motionxgps and it'll be I the background still recording my tracks and using up battery in the process.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:25 pm

Dear focus-group, I have a couple of questions:

What was the verdict on the Alesis iO dock in the end? Worth getting? Heard the build quality isn't great, but is it useful apart from that? Usage will be to get a solid cabled MIDI connection out of the iPad without the accident-waiting-to-happen that is the CCK.

Also, what's the score with iPad desktop stands for performing? We have a couple of these:

Luxa2 H4:

...and it's ok, but not ideal. It's reasonably stable on the desktop, and the rubberised grips hold the iPad ok and don't damage it and the angle and rotation's very useful. But it's not completely stable in the grips, a push on the edge of the iPad can dislodge it, and the base doesn't fold up in any way, so it takes a huge amount of space when transporting it.

Any tips greatly appreciated!

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:28 pm

Tarekith wrote:Do you have any apps that use gps running in the background?
I may have enabled location services for a couple of them, is that what you mean? I'll try turning those off and see if there's a difference.
Professional Shark Jumper.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:50 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Do you have any apps that use gps running in the background?
I may have enabled location services for a couple of them, is that what you mean? I'll try turning those off and see if there's a difference.
see i hadn't even considered these things prior to you guys mentioning it, is there a default you can set?

@8O that stand is ugly there's gotta be something else

steko

Post by steko » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:57 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:I will say too that the new ipad's battery seems to die real fast. You can watch it tick down as you use it. Also, I think it was at full when I went to work yesterday and was at about 80% when I came home.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/22/new ... ng-images/
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:01 pm

steko wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:I will say too that the new ipad's battery seems to die real fast. You can watch it tick down as you use it. Also, I think it was at full when I went to work yesterday and was at about 80% when I came home.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/22/new ... ng-images/

Oh my!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:03 pm

8O wrote: What was the verdict on the Alesis iO dock in the end?

Piece. Of. Shit.

The thing stopped working after the iOS5 update, and Alesis spent an enormous amount of energy not fixing the problem and blaming Apple. They started removing posts on their forum from users. It fucking lasted forever. Someone ultimately determined that it was, of course, Alesis who were behind the 8 ball.

Fuck Alesis.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:11 pm

And if that isn't enough to rage about; the new Angry Birds Space looks massively compressed. :x I'd gladly sacrifice more than 100 MB of space if it could prevent my eyes from bleeding.

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:15 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:

Piece. Of. Shit.

The thing stopped working after the iOS5 update, and Alesis spent an enormous amount of energy not fixing the problem and blaming Apple. They started removing posts on their forum from users. It fucking lasted forever. Someone ultimately determined that it was, of course, Alesis who were behind the 8 ball.

Fuck Alesis.

Cheers. That's saved me €170 then... Guess there's no alternatives out there that offer a better physical connection than a CCK-type dongle, right?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:59 pm

8O wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:

Piece. Of. Shit.

Fuck Alesis.

Cheers. That's saved me €170 then... Guess there's no alternatives out there that offer a better physical connection than a CCK-type dongle, right?
iConnectMIDI is by far the best thing going. In terms of MIDI routing, it's absolutely flawless and super-flexible. Nothing comes close.

They'll have a new product called iConnectMUSE but it won't be available til Fall....

http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMUSE-Overview

Looks interesting, but it's totally unclear as to whether the iPad dock cable to USB will carry both MIDI and audio. Let's hope so.. Even then, That thing needs a shitload more USB/standard MIDI ports. They should have keep all the available ports from the iConnectMIDI unit and then just added the audio i/o. Make it a bit larger - more like a proper iOS Motu style interface.... :x

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:08 pm

I spent most of the winter wishing my iPad 2 was 18 degrees warmer.