iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Tarekith

Re: iPad

Post by Tarekith » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:54 am

Newsflash: not everyone needs midi in a standalone iPad app.
:wink:
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:57 am

Tarekith wrote:Newsflash: not everyone needs midi in a standalone iPad app.
:wink:

Everyone. EVERYONE.

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:59 am

Actually, I think that MoDrum and BassLine and Funkbox are paving the way for MIDI because they are starting to get quite a bit of coverage on non-music related iOS blogs and such. Thus the average joe will think it cool to sync up two apps. Thus more demand for proper MIDI. Thus..PARADISE.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:07 am

Besides.

Goddamnit.

Isn't it just fucking COOL to connect shit together?

I mean....FUCK.

It IS cool.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:08 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:Are you saying no midi in with camera connection kit?

Yeah. No MIDI In. No MIDI out. No MIDI sync.

Intua have had ages to add MIDI, but they don't. That's a huge FAIL in my book, and I just can't take the app seriously. I just don't see how these guys, as well as the developer of NanoStudio, wouldn't have made MIDI and an iPad version a TOP FUCKING PRIORITY from the get-go.

People have to start getting out of the mindset that the iPad is just a standalone thing that doesn't need integrating into a larger gear environment. It's bullshit. There's a reason why DAWs are capable of MIDI. SO's you can PLUG SHIT INTO AND OUT OF THEM, lol. It's no different with the iPad.

I see what you're saying but for me the only serious use is for controllers - Omni TR, touchable, griid, kapture etc. The rest is just fun/toys. What I have on my laptop so far outshines the few little synths and things on the ipad I have no need to go outside of plug-ins. But every once in a while it's cool to strip it down to same sampling essentials and use it like a little standalone mpc. And that's really what Beatmaker is. And of course a very portable little guitar amp sim...
Professional Shark Jumper.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:26 am

But have you tried synths like the iMS-20? NLogSynthPro? SynthX?

As deep as most plugs.

Without taking up valuable CPU.

And in many ways...more fun. :P

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:05 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:But have you tried synths like the iMS-20? NLogSynthPro? SynthX?

As deep as most plugs.

Yeah, I have the iMS-20. The biggest reason I wanted that was because I have the MS-20 controller and I like to use it for jamming with other people through the PA, so that could be like a standalone synth with that hardware feel. And the zoomed patch area goes perfect over the patchbay so you don't have to fuss with cables. And yeah I've tried the NLog synth free version. Nice sound for sure, as is SynthX (timewarp synth engine, very good). But still, I've got enough processing power to just use plug-ins and it's way more important for me to have it all self-contained. I can't stand the thought of using anything external in a track that I want to keep unbounced. Not a virus or an ipad synth, or even rewire. Why bother when my options are already overwhelming with the likes of Komplete, Omnisphere, Zebra and the other several synths I have. But sure it's cool to have a standalone synth or two outside the lappy. And yes it's great if the synth can sync to a DAW for real-time jamming. But standalone Beatmaking and sequencing apps, I'll never need to run that alongside ableton. Why fuss with all that when you can just use drum racks or something Maschine which is even better... That's why I don't particularly care about Beatmaker syncing. But you'r right that it's a damn shame that it can't take midi in to trigger the keyboard instruments. Here's one :x for you on that.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:10 am

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:But have you tried synths like the iMS-20? NLogSynthPro? SynthX?

As deep as most plugs.

Yeah, I have the iMS-20. The biggest reason I wanted that was because I have the MS-20 controller and I like to use it for jamming with other people through the PA, so that could be like a standalone synth with that hardware feel. And the zoomed patch area goes perfect over the patchbay so you don't have to fuss with cables. And yeah I've tried the NLog synth free version. Nice sound for sure, as is SynthX (timewarp synth engine, very good). But still, I've got enough processing power to just use plug-ins and it's way more important for me to have it all self-contained. I can't stand the thought of using anything external in a track that I want to keep unbounced. Not a virus or an ipad synth, or even rewire. Why bother when my options are already overwhelming with the likes of Komplete, Omnisphere, Zebra and the other several synths I have. But sure it's cool to have a standalone synth or two outside the lappy. And yes it's great if the synth can sync to a DAW for real-time jamming. But standalone Beatmaking and sequencing apps, I'll never need to run that alongside ableton. Why fuss with all that when you can just use drum racks or something Maschine which is even better... That's why I don't particularly care about Beatmaker syncing. But you'r right that it's a damn shame that it can't take midi in to trigger the keyboard instruments. Here's one :x for you on that.
Oh shit I forgot you had that MS-20 controller. :x Where did you pick that up?

And yeah, you've got all you need with that softsynth collection, lol. 8O

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:15 pm

On the lighter side there's free streaming of Seinfeld episodes

http://appshopper.com/blog/2011/04/18/s ... -and-ipad/

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:28 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote: Oh shit I forgot you had that MS-20 controller. :x Where did you pick that up?
Got it from someone who posted it last year on the KVR marketplace forum. Pops up every once in a while. In fact there is one there right now with the legacy collection. In england though I think. But you can usually find it on ebay for around 100-150 dollars. But often they are also sold at a complete rip-off price.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:04 pm

chaibuka wrote:On the lighter side there's free streaming of Seinfeld episodes

http://appshopper.com/blog/2011/04/18/s ... -and-ipad/
SWEET! Nice movie selection there as well - easy rider??

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:03 am

Apple needs to fix the shit when you're on the app store app and you go to scroll down and start your swipe on the ratings stars which causes it to pause and then open a pop-up that says you can't rate it because you don't own it. I WASN'T TRYING TO FUCKING RATE IT. I WAS TRYING TO SCROLL DOWN!!!!

That.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:05 am

And my favorite user review today.

"DON'T BUY. Crashes!! U A-HOLES need to test your crap first!!"

:lol:

We're so angry when hiding in plain sight on the internet. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:38 pm

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:42 pm

beats me wrote:EA is having a big Easter sale.

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/04/ea-h ... sale-check
Sweet, and I was actually going to buy dead space this weekend too!  9.99 down to 0.99, awesome!
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com