iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
stringtapper

Re: My New iPad: Daily Reports!

Post by stringtapper » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:47 pm

Who cares about the screen lock? You can now download PDFs from Safari and open them in iBooks!

:x :x :x
Unsound Designer

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:53 pm

The multi-tasking implementation is really good, it just takes some getting used to at first. I had the same complaints with my iPhone 4 at first, but now I really like it. The best advice I can give is just ignore the double tap home button for everything except quick iTunes access (play, pause, etc). Launch and switch to your apps via the same way you always do, from the home screen icons.

Really no need to 'clean' things up, apps in the background shouldn't be doing anything for the most part, just ignore them. No performance benefit to shutting everything down anymore.

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:46 pm

i dont get the multi tasking thing either,i was hoping i could run 2 or 3 apps at the same time,say beatmaker and rebirth,but when they mute each other out depending on which one is on my screen.sucks!!! useless really...

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:55 pm

john gordon wrote:i dont get the multi tasking thing either,i was hoping i could run 2 or 3 apps at the same time,say beatmaker and rebirth,but when they mute each other out depending on which one is on my screen.sucks!!! useless really...
Imagine multi-task BPM sync. 8O

And then a DAW app that would let you use the many synth and drum apps that you would access from the multi-task bar. 8O 8O

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:07 pm

beats me wrote:
john gordon wrote:i dont get the multi tasking thing either,i was hoping i could run 2 or 3 apps at the same time,say beatmaker and rebirth,but when they mute each other out depending on which one is on my screen.sucks!!! useless really...

And then a DAW app that would let you use the many synth and drum apps that you would access from the multi-task bar. 8O 8O
this is what i thought it was going to do... like i said,useless..

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:58 pm

john gordon wrote:
beats me wrote:

this is what i thought it was going to do... like i said,useless..

About as useless as AirPlaying content to your Apple TV from your idevice that has the same content that is already on your Apple TV. :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:46 am

OMG!!!!! I hadn't really gone into using multi-tasking on my iPhone so I just double clicked and noticed that just about every app I have (which is a lot) was running in the background. Not only is that unnecessary but it also defeats the purpose of quickly jumping to an open app if I have to side scroll along the bottom and sift through every app I own. Imagine if every application on your computer was sitting open on the dock or task-bar. Somebody needs to set limits here!! Jobs!!!!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:26 am

beats me wrote:just about every app I have (which is a lot) was running in the background.
I don't think the apps are really "running in the background", my guess from how it has been handled is that certain apps maintain an active thread while minimized, but in general the other apps are merely in a sort of 'suspended' mode. IE: background apps are frozen in state, ready for a quick restore. That's why its often called "fast app switching".

I think we have a few iOS developers on this board yes/no? They could tell us for sure.

Anyway, there simply isn't the RAM and power available to keep all those apps running as they appear to be. This isn't a desktop OS, it's all turtlenecked trickery.
[EDIT]
Google tells me, yes, this is (roughly) how it works, cryogenically frozen apps > http://whenwillapple.com/blog/2010/04/1 ... ned-again/

only very few sorts of apps are really still functioning in the background. Mainly Pandora, iPod app, when they are playing music, otherwise - they are frozen using no CPU.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:49 am

beats me wrote:OMG!!!!! I hadn't really gone into using multi-tasking on my iPhone so I just double clicked and noticed that just about every app I have (which is a lot) was running in the background. Not only is that unnecessary but it also defeats the purpose of quickly jumping to an open app if I have to side scroll along the bottom and sift through every app I own. Imagine if every application on your computer was sitting open on the dock or task-bar. Somebody needs to set limits here!! Jobs!!!!
Stop worrying about the double tap home button, you really never need to worry about that. Just get to your apps the same way you always did, or set up some folders to speed things up. Multi-tasking is more or less completely transparent except for music players and GPS reliant apps. You don't need to worry about whatever is in the double-tap scroll bar, because most, if not all of those apps aren't using any of your resources.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:02 am

I'll buy in that it's not really hitting the CPU but....But....BUT I also see the background multi-tasking bar as a way to quickly switch between apps that aren't on the same page or in the same folder. I'm starting to create and organize folders but that's not going to be optimal for every possible scenario.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:35 am

Multitasking with Atomic browser and the lounge is SHIT. always kicks back to the main page when I switch back to Atomic.

:x

This doesn't occur with Safari.

I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:44 am

beats me wrote: [

Still don't know why AirPlay is so godsendy, but whatevs. Apple failed to implement this on the old Apple TV which I've concluded they just abandoned. But if all your content is already accessible on your Apple TV from your computer, most likely the same computer you sync your idevice to, then why the fuck would you need to stream it from the idevice?!?

. :x
Dude, seriously?

You've taken video or bought some iTunes music or just snapped some pics and want to watch them/ listen on your AppleTV or device connected to an Airport Express. With AirPlay, no need to sync with iTunes to load that shit into your library first. Do you not see the value?..?

Or, in my earlier case, my main router with net connection is up in the attic. Too far for a reliable connection down on the first floor or basement. Now I just use my spare router on the 1st floor and send my tunes directly from a device. No need to even have my 1st floor computer on and running iTunes. Just the router needs to be on.

MOTHERFUCKINGWIN!!!!!!!

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:47 am

:x :x :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:59 am

:x = hardest working man in The Lounge.

GOD I love that little guy.

db120

Post by db120 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:27 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:Multitasking with Atomic browser and the lounge is SHIT. always kicks back to the main page when I switch back to Atomic.

This doesn't occur with Safari.

Why do people use atomic over icab to browse? The latest icab update is ridiculously good.