iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

Re: My New iPad: Daily Reports!

Post by H20nly » Mon May 24, 2010 11:44 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
H20nly wrote:congrats dude... you've come a long way from not working outta-the-box.

it still sounds like you have Slate lust tho...

I have Slate Lust big time. Sue me. :lol:
^ nah. I don't find it a matter worthy of seeking legal assistance with. Will you get one if/when they hit streets?
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue May 25, 2010 12:37 am

H20nly wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:
H20nly wrote:congrats dude... you've come a long way from not working outta-the-box.

it still sounds like you have Slate lust tho...

I have Slate Lust big time. Sue me. :lol:
^ nah. I don't find it a matter worthy of seeking legal assistance with. Will you get one if/when they hit streets?

You betcha. I mean, I'll wait a tad to make sure there's nothing completely horrid going on with them. :lol:

The Slate had an enormous amount going for it when you look at the specs (except the batterly life, lol). If nothing else it'll be a more practical device for business. The app strategy, however, as a big unknown.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue May 25, 2010 4:37 pm

UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue May 25, 2010 5:04 pm

mikemc wrote:well, hope you're happy:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/chin ... -year.html
This is exactly why they need to return manufacturing jobs back to the US. Americans will do repetitive mundane tasks for 40+ years, will be happy to do it, and not once will they think they are a failure in life for doing so.

dum

Post by dum » Tue May 25, 2010 5:11 pm

mikemc wrote:well, hope you're happy:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/chin ... -year.html
Apple declined to comment on the situation
:lol:

ZOMFG!!!! jazzmutant are finally killed by iPad!!! ZOMFG!!!!!
I wonder if jazzmutant will be buried in the same plot as the working class chinese folk who build iPads ?
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue May 25, 2010 5:11 pm

lol.

There's an article out there somewhere on the interwebs (think I saw a copy at the Huffington Post), in which these Apple/Foxconn suicide stories are disingenuous at best. Reason?

Foxconn's employee suicide rate has been either on par on lower than the AVERAGE suicide rate in China, and pretty much the same with other large corps in China.

In fact, the Telegraph article - rather RELUCTANTLY, I might add - goes on to mention something to this effect:
Although the number of suicides is statistically in line with the Chinese average for young people, the rate of cases appears to be gathering speed.
No actual numbers given. Stupendous, Apple Smearing FAIL. :lol:

Oh, from Fast Company:
Now we know that Foxconn has some 800,000 workers, which makes the situation looks even less conspiratorial. According to the World Health Organization, for every 100,000 people in China every year some 13 men and 14.8 women will commit suicide (compared to 11.8 men and 3.3 women in the U.K, for example). This means Foxconn's statistics are actually commensurate with the suicide rate norms for such a large community as its workforce, and in fact the employee suicide rate is below what you may expect for a random sampling of Chinese citizens.
:P

Hey, Capitalism's a Bitch. What can I say? Maybe they should start thinking twice about latching on to the Wal-Mart and Apple teat and go back to...oh, I dunno.....what the fuck DID China do before Apple and Wal-Mart? :lol:
Last edited by LoopStationZebra on Tue May 25, 2010 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue May 25, 2010 5:15 pm

dum wrote: ZOMFG!!!! jazzmutant are finally killed by iPad!!! ZOMFG!!!!!
I wonder if jazzmutant will be buried in the same plot as the working class chinese folk who build iPads ?

No. The ChiComs who commit suicide or die on the line are recycled and used as fertilizer for the lawn out front.

True story, that.

dum

Post by dum » Tue May 25, 2010 5:16 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote: Foxconn's employee suicide rate has been either on par on lower than the AVERAGE suicide rate in China, and pretty much the same with other large corps in China.

In fact, the Telegraph article - rather RELUCTANTLY, I might add - goes on to mention something to this effect:
Although the number of suicides is statistically in line with the Chinese average for young people, the rate of cases appears to be gathering speed.
from the article:
"You cannot compare the situation with the national average suicide rate," said Jin Shenghua, a professor of psychology at Beijing Normal University who was flying down to advise the company on the situation yesterday.

"When the rate of suicide jumps rapidly it is alarming. You can only compare this with the situation in other similar factories".
Anyway, you're right to summon the word 'disingenuous' in reference to the telegraph. It's a rag that i wouldn't wipe my arse with.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue May 25, 2010 5:18 pm

dum wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote: Foxconn's employee suicide rate has been either on par on lower than the AVERAGE suicide rate in China, and pretty much the same with other large corps in China.

from the article:
"You cannot compare the situation with the national average suicide rate," said Jin Shenghua, a professor of psychology at Beijing Normal University who was flying down to advise the company on the situation yesterday.

"When the rate of suicide jumps rapidly it is alarming. You can only compare this with the situation in other similar factories".
Anyway, you're right to summon the word 'disingenuous' in reference to the telegraph. It's a rag that i wouldn't wipe my arse with.

Yes, but what is 'alarming'? lol. 1 more? 800 more? Doesn't say.

Yes. The Telegraph doesn't like Jobs because they think he's a hippy.

dum

Post by dum » Tue May 25, 2010 5:19 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote: Yes. The Telegraph doesn't like China.

Truthfully enhanced.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue May 25, 2010 6:01 pm

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Wed May 26, 2010 4:30 am

Even though i'm an apple user, and have been for many years, i'm no fan boi and i'm quite open to a bit of apple bashing every once in a while. But, did every one miss the part about how the factory is assembling and producing for more than just apple..?
A spate of recent suicides at Foxconn has highlighted the concerns over working conditions inside the giant Longhua factory, where 300,000 workers assemble goods for clients including Apple, Sony, Nintendo, Dell and Nokia.
I don't see this as an apple issue, this is a foxconn issue.
Or have i missed some thing here?
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed May 26, 2010 1:33 pm

People are outraged that Apple (other companies are barely, if ever, mentioned :P ) doesn't do 'something'. Like, dunno, find another Chinese factory (where the suicide rates will be pretty much the same :P ), or switch to India (where worker's rights are even more wretched :P ), or Mexico (where the Cartels demand enormous amounts of protection money. Remember the push by companies to manufacture in Mexico during the 90s? Of course you don't - because it lasted about a day. :P ).

It's all a classic deflection move whereby Apple is the Evil Overlord pushing it's Chinese workers into an early grave whilst the Chinese Government gets a free pass. :P And every other company (as well as their respective HQ governments) gets a free pass.

Let's review:
Number of independent workers' unions in China = 0
Number of official, nationwide workers' rights laws in China = 0
Laws allowing Chinese workers to make legal claims against a corporation = 0
Laws allowing Chinese workers to make legal claims against the government = 0

Of course, this is what companies LUV about China. lol. Apple is not anymore innocent or guilty than the thousands of other Euro/Asian/Canadian/Australian/US/etc companies who have set up shop there.

There was a great article at Truthdig.org not too long ago in which they were reporting on one of the big UN councils on workers' rights; in which the delegates all roundly chastised China for it's poor labour record. A photo and comment of the large conference area revealed that nearly every one of the laptops, cellphones, projectors, video conf devices, and speakerphones used for the conference were made in China.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed May 26, 2010 9:59 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Of course, this is what companies LUV about China. lol. Apple is not anymore innocent or guilty than the thousands of other Euro/Asian/Canadian/Australian/US/etc companies who have set up shop there.
and truthfully, we're not any more innocent than Apple for buying the shit.

roll creates jobs argument in 3...2...
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu May 27, 2010 2:29 am

Report #6
May 26, 2010

Fuck screen protectors. I'm barebackin' it all the way. Hate the way those things feel. I don't want anything getting between my finger and the sexy glass.

I did get a nice little sleeve for it though.

http://buymedge-px.rtrk.com/products/ipad-touring.psp

Red. Pocket for the phones. Little handle that comes out of a zipped pocket for when I'm feeling REALLY gay.

I also avoided the tempation to get some kind of rubber pad protection as well. Fuck it.