iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: iPad

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:39 pm

Angstrom wrote:I guess, I'm sat here working on my PC, and so all the talk of "it connects to your mac!!!" does absolutely nothing for me. Dropbox is crossplatform, I can send a file from my desktop to my iPad and my iPhone, and also allow a friend on an Android, or a netbook to look at it.

For me a dropbox beating project needs to at least beat dropbox. It seems like they are competing in a small walled garden and meanwhile the rest of the world is moving on with broader innovation and connectivity.

Hey Apple, how about you make it so that fucking Facetime works again you jerks! Guess what the solution to Facetime breaking in ios7 was? Skype. That's what.

Just nothing here for me at all.

I don’t know about Android but there is a Cloud Drive connection for Windows (or will be when it is released).

I think it’s also cheaper than Dropbox. I’m paying Dropbox $10 a month for 100G of space. Apple’s solution will be $4 for 200G of space. My main issue with it is I didn’t see any mention of a shared folders option. My roommate and I use a shared Dropbox folder for sharing DAW projects.

Another cool thing Apple is offering with Yosemite (maybe iOS 8?) is you will be able to email people files up to 5G in size via a link that is automatically generated and using their cloud. No more having to upload a file to a third party service just so you can share the file with one person.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:45 pm

@H2.

They briefly mentioned in their enterprise segment where Apple will work with your company to configure idevices with your company’s setup needs before they are even shipped, including email. When the employee opens the box and peels the wrapping off it will already be set to go. No more shipping it to the IT department first where they have to manually configure everything before they give it to the employee.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:04 pm

Huh... That would be kind of cool if the Microsoft Exchange option wasn't already so easy. It essentially means that the user will have to tell Apple what the settings are instead of IT plugging them in. I can't imagine Apple asking for the password though, so that means that 1/3 of the needed info will still have to be plugged in manually... I suppose that's easier to do during setup than manually later. I wouldn't consider it groundbreaking though :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:23 pm

H20nly wrote:Huh... That would be kind of cool if the Microsoft Exchange option wasn't already so easy. It essentially means that the user will have to tell Apple what the settings are instead of IT plugging them in. I can't imagine Apple asking for the password though, so that means that 1/3 of the needed info will still have to be plugged in manually... I suppose that's easier to do during setup than manually later. I wouldn't consider it groundbreaking though :x

Sounds like the classic Apple “We’ll it all for you” vs. PC “I want to micromanage everything myself” debate. :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:42 pm

fuck iCloud.

FFS.

First of all, it will never fucking be accessible from the plethora of apps that access the cloud.

I mean, really people.

:x :x :x :x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:50 pm

beats me wrote:

Another cool thing Apple is offering with Yosemite (maybe iOS 8?) is you will be able to email people files up to 5G in size via a link that is automatically generated and using their cloud. No more having to upload a file to a third party service just so you can share the file with one person.

omfg. Dude. This always sounds so awesome and convenient then, when you first try and use it, it's all shit.

6 months later, it's still shit.

1 year later, it's still shit.

iCloud. Need I say more, really? REALLY?

Apple has fumbled through the cloud shit far FAR worse than - well - everyone else. Microsoft's new 360 SkyDrive/One Drive is so fucking perfect - so nearly flawless - it puts all else to shame. About the only shitty thing with Microsoft's new cloud is that the FUCKING NAME KEEPS CHANGING. :lol:

Apple + Cloud = :x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:05 pm

TRUE. :x

But I don't know anything about Microsoft's offering. Why would I? :x

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:11 pm

H20nly wrote:
Angstrom wrote:Hey Apple, how about you make it so that fucking Facetime works again you jerks! Guess what the solution to Facetime breaking in ios7 was? Skype. That's what.
:? what do you mean? Facetime works here. is this a certain hardware version affected thing??
there were a lot of reported issues with Facetime after ios7 was introduced. With me and my GF on ios6 it was all fine, but as soon as I updated to ios7 we could never talk to each other any more. Not my ipad to her Mac, not my iPad to her phone.

Here's one of the responses for example: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5419

some other stuff suggesting it's death on the ios 6 side
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/ios ... -required/

here's some stuff suggesting the death is on the ios7 side
http://www.imore.com/having-trouble-ime ... how-fix-it

etc. etc. there are a lot of threads. If you have the exact right versions of everything on both ends, it might work, but you won't know that ahead of time. Skype works.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:57 pm

Yikes!

Sorry about you and your girl... :x

I must have the winning formula. I just used FaceTime yesterday at work from my phone to an iPad and it was flawless. I guess I got lucky.

I have an iPhone 5S... The last update made the fingerprint reader all but flawless. I've been really happy with my Apple tech. I have to agree with LSZ though... Microsoft got the cloud right. They're pricing on things like Office365 is in the realms of 'just do it'

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:05 pm

H20nly wrote:They're pricing on things like Office365 is in the realms of 'just do it'
What? Apple’s FREE including all future updates and browser based options is excessive? :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:21 pm

Apple is allowing developers to offer app bundles to users to buy multiple apps for cheaper than if they bought them individually. Sounds great but I can see some developers abusing it in the other direction.

“I’m not going to pay $10 for this app!”

Vs

“Wow, I get these 4 apps for $12! (which should have been 1 app in the first place)”

Or 3 of the 4 apps are SHIT.

:x

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:34 pm

Hopefully user reviews will have some influence against that.
ImageImage

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:37 pm

I read recently about ratings and reviews being professionally gamed and scattered with mixed but mostly rave reviews so it doesn’t look obvious. It explains the 5 star ratings with nothing but complaints in the actual review and 1 star ratings with high praise. The bots be buggy. :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:46 pm

beats me wrote:
H20nly wrote:Their pricing on things like Office365 is in the realms of 'just do it'
What? Apple’s FREE including all future updates and browser based options is excessive? :x
Free if you had the hacked version when Mavericks was released. I didn't. I therefore have to buy it.

Besides, we were talking business model right? Office is it. Apple's email doesn't work because the size of the inbox for iCloud... in 2014... is shit. We'll be able to move our entire company email to Office 365 with various flavors of Microsoft's offerings for about 5 dollars per user per month. That's way less than server parts, maintenance, and licensing... hell, you could even factor in electricity. Then, there's those fucking Saturdays/Sundays where I have to come to work to deal with the server being down. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:18 pm

H20nly wrote:
beats me wrote:
H20nly wrote:Their pricing on things like Office365 is in the realms of 'just do it'
Free if you had the hacked version when Mavericks was released. I didn't. I therefore have to buy it.

Besides, we were talking business model right? Office is it. Apple's email doesn't work because the size of the inbox for iCloud... in 2014... is shit. We'll be able to move our entire company email to Office 365 with various flavors of Microsoft's offerings for about 5 dollars per user per month. That's way less than server parts, maintenance, and licensing... hell, you could even factor in electricity. Then, there's those fucking Saturdays/Sundays where I have to come to work to deal with the server being down. :x

Bitnez.

I don’t know anything at the level you work (live, and breathe), but Apple isn’t the only company offering free business software solutions. And I think there are plenty of excitable young people with small startups that are saying “Fuck the Microsoft business world stranglehold!” I think it’s very doable to avoid Microsoft in the beginning but not sure if that remains true as you scale up. I also don’t know if there is any business essential software that no other company provides a reliable option for.

But even if Microsoft continues to dominate you can’t deny that other OSes, software, and hardware are starting to gain traction. I don’t know if that makes your job more interesting or more annoying. There are fun challenges and then there are frustrating bullshit challenges. My job is mostly filled with the latter. :x