iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
stringtapper

Re: iPad

Post by stringtapper » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:37 pm

I'd like to interrupt in order to boost my iCred by informing everyone that I will soon be sporting one of these.

Carry on.
Unsound Designer

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:51 pm

stringtapper wrote:I'd like to interrupt in order to boost my iCred by informing everyone that I will soon be sporting one of these.

Carry on.

:x

HOT.

And that band is INCREDIBLY MANLY. :x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:18 pm

beats me wrote:Jobs is hell bent on adding wireless sync over wifi between idevices and computers. They’ve been working on it for awhile but there’s issues keeping a stable connection.
so it doesn't work if you hold one of the devices in

a. your left hand
b. your right hand
c. both hands, but you have a cock
d. all of the above

:?:

beats me wrote:it will only be available on the next gen devices
well yeah.

cool watch ST.

on another note... i was at a convention for work yesterday... they were raffling an iPad 2. i found myself really wanting to win this raffle. i blame all of you.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:37 pm

H20nly wrote: i blame all of you.

I feel a sense of shame but also a sense of pride and accomplishment at the same time.

Kinda like after I have sex.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:44 pm

well at least we're still friends. :wink:
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:07 pm

I love reading tech blogs complaining 2-3 dollars is too much for a monthly ezine issue and commenters agreeing with them.

What else is 2-3 dollars?

A cup of coffee
A single movie rental
A fast food meal, IF you order from the value menu
Using an ATM that isn’t associated with your bank

I guess since the financial state of the economy, government, and housing market is so incomprehensibly mind numbing that people have to rally against ezine prices because counting pennies literally is the only kind of financial management they feel they have a grasp on. :x

:lol: at them.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:28 am

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Hmmm, radioactive iPad 2's. They prolly won't need batteries!

"manufacturers are said to be concerned over the shortage of key components following the earthquake and tsunami disaster in Japan. Apple is said to have taken a proactive approach to the crisis, offering upfront cash payments to suppliers to secure components for devices like the in-demand iPad 2."
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:22 pm

iCred :lol: Epic.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:12 pm

Okay, well it's fairly clear that I'll be needing an iPad2. :lol:

Some music apps are more CPU intensive than others, of course, but when you've got touchAble, Midi Touch, Konkrete Performer, and NlogSynthPro running on an iPad1 all at the same time, it nearly brings the fucking thing to it's knees when you switch between apps.

Midi Touch seems to be a real beasty in terms of usage. I've got about 10 tabs set up, and there's an annoying lag when switching between them. After I fiddle with that, I'll switch over to something like touchAble and that thing practically screams in agony as it gets woken up from it's background slumber.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:29 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Okay, well it's fairly clear that I'll be needing an iPad2. :lol:

All conclusions seem to be that there won’t be an iPad 3 out this year. All of that was wishful thinking. So you can buy a 2 soon with confidence that it won’t be old hat a few months down the road.

So my worst case assumptions about giving my mom my iPad 1 became a reality this weekend. She has an old iMac with 1GB of ram running OSX 10.4 and iTunes 9.

In order to sync and activate the iPad you have to be using iTunes 10 :x
In order to use iTunes 10 you have to be on at least OSX 10.5 :x
In order to be running OSX 10.5 you have to have at least 2GB of ram :x

Luckily they had a work Macbook that I just logged into her iTunes account to sync and activate but she’ll be screwed as far as backing up or upgrading the OS until she gets a new computer. It’s not really worth the cost to install more ram in her old ass iMac.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:21 pm

beats me wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:Okay, well it's fairly clear that I'll be needing an iPad2. :lol:

All conclusions seem to be that there won’t be an iPad 3 out this year. All of that was wishful thinking. So you can buy a 2 soon with confidence that it won’t be old hat a few months down the road.

So my worst case assumptions about giving my mom my iPad 1 became a reality this weekend. She has an old iMac with 1GB of ram running OSX 10.4 and iTunes 9.

Luckily they had a work Macbook that I just logged into her iTunes account to sync and activate but she’ll be screwed as far as backing up or upgrading the OS until she gets a new computer. It’s not really worth the cost to install more ram in her old ass iMac.
What kind of RAM is it?
I have a dead G4 and a dead mac book pro sitting in a box.
Only reason i have kept them is on the off chance they might be usefull as canible food.
Can't promise anything as i'm in the middle of relocating to a new town.
But if you let me know the ram type, and if the ram i have is the same, i'll be happy to send it your way to help your moms.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Sorry to cross post, but I think it fits here too:

http://tarekith.com/mp3s/Tarekith-Slip.mp3

As I mentioned in my Touching Matters blog post a couple weeks ago (http://tarekith.com/touching-matters/), I recently got an iPad2. One of the apps I was most interested in trying out was Apple's new Garageband for the iPad, as I know the desktop version is usually under-appreciated considering how much it can do for the price. So I decided to see how much I could do by writing an entire song in just that one app on the iPad.

For the most part it was a very enjoyable process, and I was able to complete the track in only a few days without once opening the help documentation. You don't get a lot of instruments in the iPad verison, but the ones they do give you are pretty good sounding and fun to play, and they cover a good range of sounds too. The Smart Guitar in particular was more fun than I thought it would be, and the best part is that you can ignore all the default picking patterns and just play it manually yourself (which is what I did in this song).

At first I was a little bummed out that you can't go back and edit anything you've recorded, at least not on a piano role like on the desktop version (or any DAW for that matter). However, if you zoom in a lot, you CAN edit the regions by slicing them into smaller regions, cutting and pasting them where you want, and then rejoining them into new regions. So you still have quite a bit of flexibility when it comes to editing, provided you have the patience to work that way. Reminded me a lot of my old SP808 back in the day, so it wasn't a huge deal for me.

It wasn't all fun and games though, there were some frustrating moments too. For instance, without per track effects (you only get a globel reverb and delay) or EQ, balancing everything was a little rough at time. All of the instruments are very full sounding, so they can tend to much up on the low end when you add enough together. This track only uses 7 of the available 8 tracks, and I had to fight that a little bit. Especially with the drums, the low end on the kicks and toms is monsterous! Luckily the Classic Drum Machine kit I used offers a high pass filter, so I was able to tame most of the subby low end (still a touch much more my own liking though).

More discouraging though, was the fact that the much hyped ability to import projects created on the iPad into Garageband on the Mac didn't work correctly. The guitar parts in this song did not play right at all on the Mac version, despite the fact that I'm using the latest versions of both. Notes were skipped, and the strong bends I played in the drop and outro were ignored on the Mac. That was a let down, as I was forced to record this via the headphone out on the iPad. Still sounds ok, but not as good as a direct render would have sounded I'm sure.

Anyway, the version you hear is recorded straight from the iPad2 with no additional processing other than normalizing to -0.3dBFS and converted to 320kbps MP3. I dind't do any mastering on file, this is exactly how it sounds straight from the app.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:45 pm

Homebelly wrote:
beats me wrote:

What kind of RAM is it?
I have a dead G4 and a dead mac book pro sitting in a box.
Only reason i have kept them is on the off chance they might be usefull as canible food.
Can't promise anything as i'm in the middle of relocating to a new town.
But if you let me know the ram type, and if the ram i have is the same, i'll be happy to send it your way to help your moms.

The thought is appreciated, but the computer is hardly worth salvaging and she’d still have to pay Apple to install it. Beyond the ram issue the HD also makes clicking noises that sounds like guinea pigs stomping on corn flakes anytime you open something which also takes forever to load. It’s time for a new computer.

TheDriller

Post by TheDriller » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:08 pm

beats me wrote:
The thought is appreciated, but the computer is hardly worth salvaging and she’d still have to pay Apple to install it. Beyond the ram issue the HD also makes clicking noises that sounds like guinea pigs stomping on corn flakes anytime you open something which also takes forever to load. It’s time for a new computer.
What are you on?
You dont need more than 2GB to run 10.5,

I've had both 10.4 , 10.5 and 10.6 running on this old white macbook with only 1GB of ram, no problems.