iPad

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Tarekith

Re: iPad

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:36 pm

#1thelark wrote:Waiting 5yrs between updates is no big deal on a notebook... in the meantime you'll have spend 5000 bucks on several IOS-devices which will not be supported after 2 years
If you sell your current iOS device RIGHT when the new versions come out, you can often make a good bit of money on the deal. I haven't "paid" for an iPhone since my first one, the ones I sold covered the cost of the new one and a bit more usually. Same with iPad, you can't sell it for more than the cost of a new one, but on average I've gotten around $350 for mine when I sell.

$150 every couple years to stay on the latest and greatest and never have to worry about compatibility.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:12 am

Tarekith wrote:
#1thelark wrote:Waiting 5yrs between updates is no big deal on a notebook... in the meantime you'll have spend 5000 bucks on several IOS-devices which will not be supported after 2 years
If you sell your current iOS device RIGHT when the new versions come out, you can often make a good bit of money on the deal. I haven't "paid" for an iPhone since my first one, the ones I sold covered the cost of the new one and a bit more usually. Same with iPad, you can't sell it for more than the cost of a new one, but on average I've gotten around $350 for mine when I sell.

$150 every couple years to stay on the latest and greatest and never have to worry about compatibility.
Just sold, shipped my MBP today, after 3 years of intense use, just 100 $ less than what I paid. Selling top models of Sony and IBMs that I used to use before, the value loss were( after maximum 2 years of use) between 1000 to 1500$. The last pc of mine Vaio new 2600€ after 5 years was sold @ 250€ which was slightly above average Ebay value. It is not just Apple hype, know plenty of people that find use for their 10 years old Macs. Build quality comes at a price, just like in case of RME or Clavia, but when it comes to re selling you can get decent price.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:11 pm

Reselling your older Apple hardware? 8O

I was looking for something in my closet the other day and found an old 15” MBP that the battery expanded so much that it popped the lid on the bottom open that couldn’t be reclosed. I have another 15” MBP that’s serving as a coaster for my 13” MBA. It’s been in that position for about 2 years now. :x

But both those old MBP had hardware issues. I’ll be damned if I have to invest in fixing something just so I can resell it. These aren’t classic cars that are going to increase in value over time if I maintain and repair them. :x

#1thelark

Post by #1thelark » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:30 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Lol, my three year old iphone with about $40 worth of apps says your full of crap.
Mostly, you're a jelly hater! :lol:
Lol, you don't get the point.

My iphone2g still works perfectly, it has a better batterylife than any ip5 OR S4.
BUT: its risky to use it because of the missing security patches, not supported OS version.

F*ck them companys for that planned obsolescence crap...
My phone still works, why do you force ppl. to buy a new phone that wont even last a day, and practically isn't fixable.

Sustainability, anyone? I gotta find some programmers to do upcycling by patching "obsolete" products and software.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:35 pm

#1thelark wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
Lol, my three year old iphone with about $40 worth of apps says your full of crap.
Mostly, you're a jelly hater! :lol:

My iphone2g still works perfectly, it has a better batterylife than any ip5 OR S4.
BUT: its risky to use it because of the missing security patches, not supported OS version.

My phone still works, why do you force ppl. to buy a new phone that wont even last a day, and practically isn't fixable.

Sustainability, anyone? I gotta find some programmers to do upcycling by patching "obsolete" products and software.

I find it sad that we live in a world where replacing a cell phone every couple years puts you in crisis outrage mode.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:46 pm

#1thelark wrote:

I hear you, but opne major missing point on your part. You can sell an old iphone for ridiculous amounts. Shit AT&T wants to give me $100 for it? Must be worth about $250 on craigslist then! :lol: That covers the cost of a new iphone 5 and doesn't throw it in the trash!
The market for jailbroke phones does help for sure. Pretty much all computer related stuff has a 5 year lifespan for most people as it is. I will only upgrade to the 5 if I find that the icloud integration etc. is worth it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:54 pm

FELLAS!!! If you want to provide intelligent solutions or alternatives to somebody who clearly just wants to hate and bitch then take it to the Music and Audio Production forum. That behavior will not be tolerated in The Lounge. :x

Lately there’s been a concerted effort to win over trolls in The Lounge and I don’t like it. :x

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:08 pm

#1thelark wrote:I gotta find some programmers to do upcycling by patching "obsolete" products and software.
Mentioned it before, but programmers can't do this via the app store - Apple forces us to use the latest development tools, which don't support the older products. Jailbreaking gets round this, but vast majority of devs avoid this...

On the other hand, all those 5 year anniversary free apps work fine on my first generation iPad, apart from Traktor DJ, heh... :wink:
#1thelark wrote:Sustainability, anyone?
http://www.fairphone.com/

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:09 pm

beats me wrote:FELLAS!!! If you want to provide intelligent solutions or alternatives to somebody who clearly just wants to hate and bitch then take it to the Music and Audio Production forum. That behavior will not be tolerated in The Lounge. :x

Lately there’s been a concerted effort to win over trolls in The Lounge and I don’t like it. :x
Heh... sorry!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:53 am

8O wrote:
beats me wrote:FELLAS!!! If you want to provide intelligent solutions or alternatives to somebody who clearly just wants to hate and bitch then take it to the Music and Audio Production forum. That behavior will not be tolerated in The Lounge. :x

Heh... sorry!
^ don't be.

Jebus Chris 80... if anything it's a plea for the likes of you to post WAY more.

please.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:57 pm

H20nly wrote:
8O wrote:

Heh... sorry!
^ don't be.

Jebus Chris 80... if anything it's a plea for the likes of you to post WAY more.

please.

Agreed. But I didn’t respond because this thread has a proud tradition of abruptly not responding to people or ignoring posts.

:x

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:34 pm

Microsoft lowered the price of the Surface RT by $150. 8O The only time manufactures have done that in the past is when the device is DOA and I don’t think I’ve heard of any case where lowering the price has made the device more successful beyond the first week or 2 of “wow, a lower price!” impulse purchases. :x

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:48 pm

beats me wrote:Microsoft lowered the price of the Surface RT by $150. 8O The only time manufactures have done that in the past is when the device is DOA and I don’t think I’ve heard of any case where lowering the price has made the device more successful beyond the first week or 2 of “wow, a lower price!” impulse purchases. :x
Yeah, I still wouldn't want it. Most people wont buy that since you can buy an ipad2, ipad mini or a used ipad 3 for around the same price.

I tried a surface at best buy, there was no way to adjust the viewing angle when using the keyboard, any little movement would make the screen fall over. Really bad design.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:13 pm

nathannn wrote:
beats me wrote:Microsoft lowered the price of the Surface RT by $150. 8O The only time manufactures have done that in the past is when the device is DOA and I don’t think I’ve heard of any case where lowering the price has made the device more successful beyond the first week or 2 of “wow, a lower price!” impulse purchases. :x
Yeah, I still wouldn't want it. Most people wont buy that since you can buy an ipad2, ipad mini or a used ipad 3 for around the same price.

I tried a surface at best buy, there was no way to adjust the viewing angle when using the keyboard, any little movement would make the screen fall over. Really bad design.

I also think they overestimated people’s excitement level over using Office on a tablet. With the exception of running Office directly you can still use an iPad for business…but it also feels like something you can do a lot more with. The Surface RT seems like something you can just do business on and a whole lot less…but the IT department will love it.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:34 pm

beats me wrote:
nathannn wrote:

I also think they overestimated people’s excitement level over using Office on a tablet. With the exception of running Office directly you can still use an iPad for business…but it also feels like something you can do a lot more with. The Surface RT seems like something you can just do business on and a whole lot less…but the IT department will love it.
The IT department might like it only when they have to use it to remote into other windows machines to fix them. For the most part everyone in IT now days prefers osx and the ipad.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.