Hawtin using iPad at DEMF

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
MacGuffin

Hawtin using iPad at DEMF

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:44 pm

short video I found, featuring Richie Hawtin AND the iPad.
I'm sure this will cause many reactions on the forum.

Let the shitstorm begin... :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoA4-yn6dbw

8O

Re: Hawtin using iPad at DEMF

Post by 8O » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:51 pm

...and Lemurs ...and Behringer ... :)

What program's on the iPad?

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:57 pm

Walking away from the scene and playing from the other side of the dancefloor made a huuuuge smile appear on my face :)

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:23 pm

I don't see or hear how his iPads were affecting the sound at all. :lol:

Christ. All that gear. And he still sounds like ASS.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Zygi wrote:Walking away from the scene and playing from the other side of the dancefloor made a huuuuge smile appear on my face :)
On a related note, a lighting engineer friend of mine swears by his iPhone app that lets him control the console via wifi from anywhere in the venue e.g. Luminair DMX lighting control app...

stonee

Post by stonee » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:46 pm

I would guess he's using touch osc.

i have my ipod set up, and I love blowing the minds of people who are obvioussly fucked out of they're tree when i walk up and let them diddle with some xy pads.

henrygibson

Post by henrygibson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:25 pm

wow, that is some shiny-ness! seems to have 2 ipads, dont know what each is controlling but you can hear the music change when he touches them

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:38 pm

Looks like a list of clips, maybe controlling Live. Don't know much about the apps out there for iProducts, but if people on here can make a custom controller, he is also able (to pay a guy to) program a custom App. All it seems to be to me is a list of clips that is scrollable and nothing much else.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:48 pm

As much as I love my iPad I fail to see anything currently out there that has a WOW factor beyond "He's doing something, anything with an iPad!".

Reminds of when my parents got their first VCR and the height of technology at the time was a remote with a 20 foot cable. Then wireless remotes came along and WOW!, but really you were still just pressing play/stop/fast-forward/rewind.

Similarly awhile back I spent a good couple headache hours trying to get my computer to see my wireless printer that never happened. Then I had a good hardy chuckle at myself when I realized when printing my computer is never more than 4 feet from my printer so why the fuck is having it work wirelessly of great importance? Well, other than the fact I paid extra for that.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:00 pm

it just works

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:06 pm

beats, have you TRIED LiveControl yet? I'm telling ya man, it's a game changer for me. The giddiness I feel whemcsliding my fingers up down and all around..... :twisted:

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:19 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:beats, have you TRIED LiveControl yet? I'm telling ya man, it's a game changer for me. The giddiness I feel whemcsliding my fingers up down and all around..... :twisted:
It's cool but for genuine excitement from me it would have to be something that you couldn't do just as well with a tactile hardware controller, like taking advantage of the physics engine. Does everything with LiveControl involve you having to have your fingers on the surface?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:55 pm

beats me wrote: Does everything with LiveControl involve you having to have your fingers on the surface?

God yes. That's the beauty of it, lol.

Pretty, pretty glass. Pretty smooth glass how I love you so.

Having the ability to control multiple things at once with your fingers seems much easier with touch screen; particularly if the screen isn't huge; which the iPad's of course is not. Controlling multiple REAL faders at the same time? meh. There's always one that gets away from you, isn't there? Rascals.

The motion is smoother in my mind as well. There is a perfect amount of give and resistence with the touch screen and your fingertips. No fader or encoder will ever be as smooth; don't care how great the build quality is or how much lube they put in the pots or whatever, lol. It's like tracing your finger over a fine woman's ass. No. BETTER. :P

I'm trying to sell you on this AND I'M NOT SURE FUCKING WHY. :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:11 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:I'm trying to sell you on this AND I'M NOT SURE FUCKING WHY. :lol:
I'm not sure why either :)

But I would be excited if you could do someting like make obnoxious filter sweeps controlled by the puck movement in the air hockey game.

re.mark

Post by re.mark » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:19 pm

Zygi wrote:Walking away from the scene and playing from the other side of the dancefloor made a huuuuge smile appear on my face :)
I have dreamt of doing this for years.. now the time has come and i cant afford it, so everyone will be doing it before me
:( :( :( :( :( :(