T.V.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
crystalmsc

Re: T.V.

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:17 am

Really enjoyed watching The Making of the Mob: New York. Great casts, narrative and story.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:43 pm

crystalmsc wrote:Really enjoyed watching The Making of the Mob: New York. Great casts, narrative and story.

Duuuuude. Agreed it is great. They just finished season 2 on Chicago: The Outfit. Seems that New York got most of the coverage but Chicago really took over and mostly stayed under the radar comparatively.

Maybe next season they will do Boston. And then of course Disney. :P

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:29 pm

beats me wrote:The Night Of is a limited HBO series. One season that just ended. It’s a murder/legal/prison drama.
Just started, great so far, thanks.

crystalmsc

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:46 pm

beats me wrote:Seems that New York got most of the coverage but Chicago really took over and mostly stayed under the radar comparatively.

Maybe next season they will do Boston. And then of course Disney. :P
I will watch them all when it's available here, it's been a long time to watch something addicting like this on TV. I watch Shark Tank too sometime.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:06 pm

Tarekith wrote:
beats me wrote:The Night Of is a limited HBO series. One season that just ended. It’s a murder/legal/prison drama.
Just started, great so far, thanks.
:)

At the end of the first episode I felt a bit “Shit, that could have been me!” reflecting back to my partying days with alcohol and drugs o'plenty available. You don't realize how things could go extremely sideways.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:04 pm

Narcos season 2 dropped today on Netflix. Great 3 day weekend ahead. :)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:58 pm

Watched that Jean Claude Van Damme black-comedy spy thriller thing on Amazon. Stupid as fuck and It amused me, hopefully they make a whole season.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:13 pm

Stranger Things hasn't been mentioned??

Watch it

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:11 pm

Yeah, I saw Stranger Things. I liked it, but mostly because it's got that '80s vibe nailed so well. If it weren't for that aspect, and the blatant homage to all the defining movies of the era, I don't know how interested I'd be. I think it would just be seen as derivative if it were set in 2016, so I guess that was a clever move in more than one way. I really love the mood, though, and just taking it in was really enjoyable. Not sure how I feel about a second season, though. I found the premise a bit daft in the end, so maybe if they come up with an altogether new mystery.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:06 am

I think one part of the reason the Duffer brothers used the 80s as a character was that modern mobile telephony kills all horror movie tension.

*TEXT: hey doodz, I'm trapped in the darkzone, watch out for the demon, its in the shed.*

Etc. (Thats not a spoiler BTW)

In fact...
somebody should remake After Hours, but it's just that the protagonist drops his phone and has to cope without it for 12 hours.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:50 am

Angstrom wrote:(Thats not a spoiler BTW)
:lol:

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:53 am

sporkles wrote:Yeah, I saw Stranger Things. I liked it, but mostly because it's got that '80s vibe nailed so well. If it weren't for that aspect, and the blatant homage to all the defining movies of the era, I don't know how interested I'd be. I think it would just be seen as derivative if it were set in 2016, so I guess that was a clever move in more than one way. I really love the mood, though, and just taking it in was really enjoyable. Not sure how I feel about a second season, though. I found the premise a bit daft in the end, so maybe if they come up with an altogether new mystery.
i definitely got sucked in by how well they did the 80's, not perfect... but damn good.

i think one of the things that stood out to me about it is how the story is definitely of the horror genre, but it can be enjoyed by a less hardcore audience. so i can watch it with my son or recommend it to my mom without the Nightmare on Elm Street or Saw type gratuitous gore being off putting.

an example of what i mean, Penny Dreadful... i really liked that too, but would never watch it with my child or recommend it to my mother. never.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:55 am

I really liked it in the beginning, but by the last 2-3 episodes it was pretty easy to tell what was going to happen so the suspense factor went way down. Also Winnona just seemed out of place in that roll to me. Overall really good though, definitely worth a watch.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:57 pm

H20nly wrote:Penny Dreadful
I was so pissed off when they cancelled that show and how they ended it. “Planned the whole time” my ass. More like "we need to ax the shows with the biggest budgets". :x

Lately I’ve found the shows where they dump an entire season in your face at once I seldom have the interest to finish a season. I don’t feel the need to binge and for whatever reason by brain needs me to be forced to wait a week for an episode at a time. I don’t have the discipline to space it out myself. :|

shadx312

Post by shadx312 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:03 am

Looking forward to the next season of Americans. Love it. Currently the only thing playing that I've been following is Mr Robot. I have some niggles with it but still has me on edge most of the time. Netflix asked me to trial again so I binged the first 2 seasons of Halt & Catch Fire and thinks it's pretty good...all the characters are flawed so you'd think the realism of that would make it more enjoyable but not so much because....they're flawed :p Initially I would have never expected to be such a fan of Bosworth.

Stranger Things I really enjoyed but then in retrospect I was a bit meh on the whole 'homage' thing. Since it wrapped up pretty well I would do a different story for second season but I understand there's some leftovers to exploit and the cast chemistry so I hope they go balls out and get ridiculous with it.

Oh, a couple documentary recommendos: One on Tony Robbins and Finding Fela! There's one that can only be seen by ordering called Inside Out in the Open about Free Jazz, many musicians that had records put out by the interesting ESP label.