I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
Post Reply
aqua_tek
Posts: 2569
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:48 pm
Contact:

I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:50 pm

... especially when self-important DJ's come up with silly shit like this, and their ass kissing friends follow suit, posting and reposting everywhere, which eventually turns into long, pointless battles (which I choose to not get involved with. I just read and try to find any amusing tidbits. But it's actually boring as hell).

Image

As if matching two tracks required THAT much talent. Maybe DJ's are bitter because producers and other types of musicians, many of whom don't give 3 shits about what they use to mix, get more bookings than they do. :lol:


I'm not hating on tradition. It's important to recognize the roots of it, and everyone should learn the basics before moving on. Also, I know some people prefer a certain "feel" and I respect that. But that's exactly my point: why can't people just use whatever they want, and live and let die? :wink:

dum
Posts: 2678
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Re: I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by dum » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:15 am

huh ?
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

ChiDJ
Posts: 2241
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:59 pm
Location: CHick-A-Go!
Contact:

Re: I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by ChiDJ » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:24 am

:roll:


This thread was dead before you even created it.
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Image

ChiDJ
Posts: 2241
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:59 pm
Location: CHick-A-Go!
Contact:

Re: I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by ChiDJ » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:24 am

"NECRO-THREAD"
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Image

aqua_tek
Posts: 2569
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:48 pm
Contact:

Re: I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:01 am

Yes, it's been a dead topic to me for a long time. But when people start bringing it up all of a sudden (which I've seen way too often lately. Does summer bring out people's inner douche? Perhaps), then I feel compelled to make these statements.

Anyways re-read the post. I'm not talking about ALL DJ's in general, though maybe my post came off that way on the first read. I do think there's many great ones that deserve all the respect they garner.

But then there's others who preach and burn to an extreme and it makes them come off as kind of bitter.

I understand if someone starts out as strictly a "DJ" and doesn't take the time to learn the basics of it. But when it's people with a certain level of credibility, be it through having been a traditional DJ before, or through their production, I think it's silly for others to get their panties in a bunch if they choose to play on Traktor or whatever.

Anyways Todd, don't get butthurt. I know you're legit as a DJ, and I consider you likable, as a fellow whore-monger. :mrgreen: If anything we can agree to disagree.

djsynchro
Posts: 7471
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:06 pm
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Contact:

Re: I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by djsynchro » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:59 am

it.ju5t.3ork5

ChiDJ
Posts: 2241
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:59 pm
Location: CHick-A-Go!
Contact:

Re: I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by ChiDJ » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:07 am

aqua_tek wrote:Yes, it's been a dead topic to me for a long time. But when people start bringing it up all of a sudden (which I've seen way too often lately. Does summer bring out people's inner douche? Perhaps), then I feel compelled to make these statements.

Anyways re-read the post. I'm not talking about ALL DJ's in general, though maybe my post came off that way on the first read. I do think there's many great ones that deserve all the respect they garner.

But then there's others who preach and burn to an extreme and it makes them come off as kind of bitter.

I understand if someone starts out as strictly a "DJ" and doesn't take the time to learn the basics of it. But when it's people with a certain level of credibility, be it through having been a traditional DJ before, or through their production, I think it's silly for others to get their panties in a bunch if they choose to play on Traktor or whatever.

Anyways Todd, don't get butthurt. I know you're legit as a DJ, and I consider you likable, as a fellow whore-monger. :mrgreen: If anything we can agree to disagree.

I feel you Bro. No bad blood from me.

Hell, I was I producer before I became a DJ.

I just think that most of us here are above this shit.

It's the lounge after all. Let's just get high, make some beats and tell some stupid jokes. 8)
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Image

luddy
Posts: 791
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:36 am
Location: Beijing
Contact:

Re: I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by luddy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:25 am

One of these days I gotta learn something about DJing so that I can follow these threads. :lol:
-Luddy

squelcht
Posts: 1896
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:38 am
Location: QC, NC
Contact:

Re: I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by squelcht » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:38 pm

ChiDJ wrote: It's the lounge after all. Let's just get high, make some beats and tell some stupid jokes. 8)
this.

aqua_tek
Posts: 2569
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:48 pm
Contact:

Re: I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:12 pm

squelcht wrote:
ChiDJ wrote: It's the lounge after all. Let's just get high, make some beats and tell some stupid jokes. 8)
this.
I agree. I'll bring a few six packs and call up some ladies of the night. Make space in the fridge.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by beats me » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:31 pm

I still enjoy beating this horse from time to time, not a dead horse because some still won't let it die.

IMO any DJ that is still bitching about not having to beat match has very little imagination or creativity. Not having to beat match opens up a lot of new possibilities. Also throw in less time spent crate diving with being able to quickly browse massive libraries on the computer. These 2 things took up a majority of old school DJs time and once removed they really don't know WTF do to with their time and just assume everybody else who is using software isn't doing much of anything either.

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Re: I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by SubFunk » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:49 pm

beats me wrote:I still enjoy beating this horse from time to time, not a dead horse because some still won't let it die.

IMO any DJ that is still bitching about not having to beat match has very little imagination or creativity. Not having to beat match opens up a lot of new possibilities. Also throw in less time spent crate diving with being able to quickly browse massive libraries on the computer. These 2 things took up a majority of old school DJs time and once removed they really don't know WTF do to with their time and just assume everybody else who is using software isn't doing much of anything either.
+1 good DJ-ing has very little till' nothing to do with beat matching. beat matching is only a necessary evil.

yet i am not a fan of tight 'grid' based mixes... they usually make things simply sound dull and dead... but again that is not dependent on the medium...

you can make good or bad mixes with any medium. vinyl, CDs, digital dj programs, whatever... it doesn't matter.

and the "e-mail" checking DJ is the one that would play shit and boring with vinyls or CDs as well.

talent or non talent has nothing to do with the tools used.
*** Image GAFM ***

aqua_tek
Posts: 2569
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:48 pm
Contact:

Re: I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:08 pm

beats me wrote:I still enjoy beating this horse from time to time, not a dead horse because some still won't let it die.
Exactly. You think it's dead and long gone, but then it gets brought back from the grave by some people, so you have to beat it back down.

Undead horse.

Plus, we need a break from the whole ipad / religion / BP circus. Might as well start another redundant thread

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by beats me » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:16 pm

SubFunk wrote:
beats me wrote:I still enjoy beating this horse from time to time, not a dead horse because some still won't let it die.

IMO any DJ that is still bitching about not having to beat match has very little imagination or creativity. Not having to beat match opens up a lot of new possibilities. Also throw in less time spent crate diving with being able to quickly browse massive libraries on the computer. These 2 things took up a majority of old school DJs time and once removed they really don't know WTF do to with their time and just assume everybody else who is using software isn't doing much of anything either.
+1 good DJ-ing has very little till' nothing to do with beat matching. beat matching is only a necessary evil.

yet i am not a fan of tight 'grid' based mixes... they usually make things simply sound dull and dead... but again that is not dependent on the medium...

you can make good or bad mixes with any medium. vinyl, CDs, digital dj programs, whatever... it doesn't matter.

and the "e-mail" checking DJ is the one that would play shit and boring with vinyls or CDs as well.

talent or non talent has nothing to do with the tools used.
I think it's funny when an old school DJ takes a sweeping glance at Traktor and all they can come up with is "Hey, it beat matches everything for you!". That's about 5% of what it does. I laugh that they can't wrap their head around the other 95% of the features that it brings to the table.

But I also feel it's something you really need a controller for to get the most out of it. Doing everything with a single mouse click at a time is kind of lame and really limited.

contakt321
Posts: 1523
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: NYC

Re: I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by contakt321 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:25 pm

Just curious, other than the effects - what is the other 95%?

I use Serato but have always been curious what I have been missing.

Post Reply