I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
smutek

Re: I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by smutek » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:47 pm

MacGuffin wrote:Smutek, you make a very good point on how it should be about the party, but at the same time we can't forget that the promoters need to attract people at their even too. It can be a vicious circle!
contakt321 wrote:That's actually how I approach my events. We do book headliners, however, for us it's really a tool to promote the event, and also an excuse to book the djs we are fans of and playing their records.

I think the focus should be on creating a great vibe, no matter who is djing, big or small.
Yeah man, totally understand that promoters need a draw, and I'm not saying that some Dj's don't deserve props - a lot of them do based not only on skill, but what they've contributed to the scene as well.

But this Tiesto sellign out stadiums shit is silly, a lot of people are getting rich from it and I'm willing to bet that the people getting the richest most likely don't even like the music or the scene they are hijacking.

I suppose the problem starts with smaller promoters trying to emulate this model - not throw parties. Motivation I guess - if a promoter is in the game to get a lot of money than the motivation is whacked from the get, if the goal is to make back enough to cover expenses and throw the next party then it seems more legit, because the primary concern is the party - if it gets to a point where it's like "hey, we can actually earn a decent living off of this" than that is awesome - but I think it's the people, big and small, who throw parties just as a tool to generate revenue that screws everything up.

8)

What's the answer?

I don't know....

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:56 pm

dum wrote:Hey Smu, glad to hear you kept the technics :P

do you reckon the kontrol x1 is designed to compliment a setup featuring a real mixer ?
Yeah, totally. To me that seems exactly what it was designed for. It's fully mappable, and I'm sure it can be extended to compliment a midi capable mixer as well - but it's a truly beautiful thing sitting next to a regular old analog mixer like mine. That was exactly why I bought it, limited funds did not allow me to even begin to think about getting some sort of midi mixer - so this thing compliments my Pioneer perfectly.

The only thing the factory settings are lacking is the ability to scroll through folder tree's in the track collection - but that can be easily mapped.

Once that's done there's pretty much no need to touch the laptop at all. It's slim, well built, and sits nicely right next to my mixer, controls are laid out intuitively with identical controls for channels A and B on the left and right side respectively.

It's set up to handle 2 decks in Traktor perfectly, if I were to start using 4 Traktor decks I'd get another one - but it can be re-mapped to accommodate 4 decks via midi mode as well.

But with the factory mappings I have control to browse play lists, load tracks, launch tracks, use cue points, set looping and loop length, control effects parameters, switch effects, assign effects to decks, etc. It's a really intuitive set up.

So yeah man, it's a great controller to compliment a standard non-midi mixer. I'm stoked because I really love my old Pioneer 500. Cost of entry was good as well, I got the Traktor Pro upgrade for I think $79, the Audio 2 Dj for $100, and the Kontrol X1 for $200 - so it's a pretty powerful modification to my existing setup for under $400 all told.

8)

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:15 pm

@smu

Ah OK,..kind of what I was expecting, but hoping it might be useful stand alone too..

picked up a pair of 1210s for an absolute steal (guy was practically throwing them out, majorly caught up in the digital > vinyl hype. I didn't argue this time around, Win for me) so now I find myself slowly saving for a dedicated dj mixer...

As it stands I use ableton for my digital mixes... but I'm gonna revist traktor as it's looking pretty good right now, maybe keep my eyes peeled for a used license.

I guess the serato bridge thing wasn't enough for you to hold onto it ?
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:36 pm

dum wrote:@smu

Ah OK,..kind of what I was expecting, but hoping it might be useful stand alone too..

picked up a pair of 1210s for an absolute steal (guy was practically throwing them out, majorly caught up in the digital > vinyl hype. I didn't argue this time around, Win for me) so now I find myself slowly saving for a dedicated dj mixer...

As it stands I use ableton for my digital mixes... but I'm gonna revist traktor as it's looking pretty good right now, maybe keep my eyes peeled for a used license.

I guess the serato bridge thing wasn't enough for you to hold onto it ?
or keep your eyes peeled for a used torrent :lol:

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:40 pm

Hey dum - yeah, you can play around with it stand alone and I'm sure you could set up your own mappings but personally I wouldn't really recommend it as a replacement for a stand alone mixer, it will definitely serve you better as a compliment to.

As far as the bridge thing goes - I don't know... I really dug Serato but I guess I just wanted to change up a little, got kind of bored with it. I don't scratch or do any tricks so I'm definitely not married to the idea of vinyl control.

Personally I'm not super impressed by the bridge, I'm sure a lot of folks are stoked on it but I'm just not really looking for what it has to offer -and I can't really see me running Serato and Ableton together on my little black book anyway.

The main reason I switched from Traktor to Serato in the first place was because it was just too annoying to get a controller mapped the way I wanted to map it. I was using an Evo UC16, just 16 knobs basically - but I still used hot keys to launch tracks, sync, cue and set loop points. It seemed like it could have been a really enjoyable solution but there was just too much hands on the laptop and it felt more like email checkign than it did Djing - so that was when I gave Serato a shot.

Serato was good stuff - definitely, but more than anything I think I just hadn't upgraded any gear for quite a while and wanted to change. Looking into Traktor it seemed they had really come up with some cool stuff so I figured I'd give it another shot.

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:45 pm

funky shit wrote:
I ran a torrented version for about 2 weeks, once I was happy and made up my mind what I wanted to do I went ahead and bought the upgrade.

8)
dum wrote:
I already owned Traktor 2.5, I had scored it a while back on some Beatport promotion for $99 - then NI had a June upgrade special for $79, so I took advantage of that. Before I heard about the sale price I was considering going with a Traktor Pro educational license, they're available for $150 US - you might check into a local option of the same.

Fully functional, just non-transferable as I understand it.

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:50 pm

good lookin out, I'm valid for edu discounts

8)

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:26 pm

smutek wrote:
funky shit wrote:
I ran a torrented version for about 2 weeks, once I was happy and made up my mind what I wanted to do I went ahead and bought the upgrade.
thats my ableton story right there.

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:31 pm

People who use cracks are basically raping the food these developers are trying to put on their kids' plates.

Stop it.

Ok ?

Just stop it.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:34 pm

If it hadn't of been for the availability of cracks i would never have bought ableton.

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:41 pm

And the world would be less one house producer.

Oh, the humanity!

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:41 pm

:lol:

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:46 pm

At audiomidi.com you get traktor pro and the audio 4 USB interface for $199. Just sell the interface for whatever. It's what I did. Traktor alone is what, $229 from NI? Pretty nice deal.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:51 pm

sparklepuff wrote:At audiomidi.com you get traktor pro and the audio 4 USB interface for $199. Just sell the interface for whatever. It's what I did. Traktor alone is what, $229 from NI? Pretty nice deal.
8O

nice tip!

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Yeah, ha, and for just Traktor, which is noted as being on sale, it's still $199. Audio 4 DJ is $249 by itself from Native.

Go get it, boys!
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams