I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
SubFunk

Re: I agree with Deadmau5 a bit more each passing day...

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:04 pm

Bee Dub wrote:DJ's don't exist without producers
wow!, really? thanks for the info, though. just learned something new.
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:06 pm

beats me wrote: The real skill is being able to utilize all the features in a coherent set that isn't overkill or obnoxious. To the dance floor it should sound more like remixes of tracks they've never heard before, not blatant effects, loops, and one shot abuse.
+1 the real skill is to do it in a way you don't even 'hear' as such it should sound naturally just like playing an awesome track that rocks... all the overdone fx / loop wank is awful.

and then no one can buy the 'track' they just heard or buy it anywhere. that is what it is about for me using modern possibilities in a good DJ set, be there, hear it there and experience it there... in a CLUB at that one given moment and nowhere else.
Last edited by SubFunk on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:09 pm

SubFunk wrote:
beats me wrote: The real skill is being able to utilize all the features in a coherent set that isn't overkill or obnoxious. To the dance floor it should sound more like remixes of tracks they've never heard before, not blatant effects, loops, and one shot abuse.
+1 the real skill is to do it in a way you don't even 'hear' as such it should sound naturally just like playing an awesome track that rocks... all the overdone fx / loop wank is awful.
Agreed, but then there's the whole idea that if you don't show the audience what you're doing, you could literally be reading your email. Or worse, you could be like Blank & Jones and hit play, throw your arms in the air during breakdowns, and go home having done nothing.

But I'm not one to talk...I'm entirely bored of DJ sets these days, so I'm overly critical or people playing other people's music.

Now if you were to perform an hour-long liveset of your own tunes, you'd get mad props from me, even if the music itself was just mediocre.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:11 pm

nebulae wrote:But I'm not one to talk...I'm entirely bored of DJ sets these days, so I'm overly critical or people playing other people's music.
i can even share that, i am usually bored myself there is only a very tiny few worldwide that really grab my attention.
*** Image GAFM ***

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:24 pm

SubFunk wrote:
nebulae wrote:But I'm not one to talk...I'm entirely bored of DJ sets these days, so I'm overly critical or people playing other people's music.
i can even share that, i am usually bored myself there is only a very tiny few worldwide that really grab my attention.
I seriously LOL @ myself for paying $40 to see Paul Van Dyk six years ago in Denver. Paul's a nice guy, but come on man, up in the DJ booth, I had no idea what he was doing or what not. What came out in the speakers was like a good bangin' PVD album. Did I need to pay $40 for that?

And I get the argument that a lot of DJs do deep edits of the music. But these days, can you really tell when a DJ has really added something to a song, or was it just a snip here and cut there? I did a DJ set a couple of years ago where I did deep edits of songs and then I played live synth over my deep edits. The results had a ton of energy, and the mistakes made it human and real. IMHO, that was more of a hybrid performance, and that's what I'd really like to see DJs doing with Live. The beatmatching is a been-there-done-that. Even adding effects like filter sweeps is a *yawn*. What we need now is to see something more. If you play other people's music, you gotto somehow make it a performance beyond just editing and filtering and beatmatching.

I'll gladly pay $40 to see any of you stupid mother fuckers pay a set of your own music. And if your Mac crashes in the middle of the set, I'll buy you a drink while it's rebooting.

dum

Post by dum » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:30 pm

Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:46 pm

thx...mad props

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:09 pm

aqua_tek wrote:Anyways the Deadmau5 thing was kind of a forum joke / ploy to get people to read the thread. Anything with Deadmau5, Daft Punk, Tiesto, Sasha, Obama, BP, Afghanistan, religion, etc. in the title guarantees to get hits.
i knew this bit...

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:46 pm

I just bought Traktor Pro because of this thread. I'm going to be a famous DJ.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:49 pm

sparklepuff wrote:I just bought Traktor Pro because of this thread. I'm going to be a famous DJ.
You were already famous due to that incident with the goat. Infamous, actually.

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:16 pm

this thread made me look up deadmouse on youtube.

deadmouse fail..... he is having a new mouse head made..... he wont be able to see out of it but it will have a vr headset in it so he can only see ableton....

i thought djs were meant to look at the dancers.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:19 pm

nebulae wrote:
sparklepuff wrote:I just bought Traktor Pro because of this thread. I'm going to be a famous DJ.
You were already famous due to that incident with the goat. Infamous, actually.
Thanks for the birthday wishes yesterday, asshole
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:22 pm

the_antagonist wrote:this thread made me look up deadmouse on youtube.

deadmouse fail..... he is having a new mouse head made..... he wont be able to see out of it but it will have a vr headset in it so he can only see ableton....

He's not a DJ. He hates DJs. That makes the whole mouse head thing ok. Just sayin.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:32 pm

beats me wrote:
the_antagonist wrote:this thread made me look up deadmouse on youtube.

He's not a DJ. He hates DJs. That makes the whole mouse head thing ok. Just sayin.
All his songs sound the same. Plus when I went to Toronto, I emailed him to meet me for a beer, and he didn't show up.

He is dead to me.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:52 pm

nebulae wrote:All his songs sound the same.
But he has said that he's bored with his sound and by extension the Electro genre and he wants to move on to other things. May be a form of arrogance but I think even he is somewhat surprised at how easily he shits out his tracks and the masses eat 'em up like they're the greatest thing ever.

But I think it would be difficult for anybody to switch gears when they're selling out venues and packing festival floors while rocking out to their own music. There's bills to be paid, gear lust to satisfy, and headgear to be innovated.