PS3 or XBOX360 ????

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.

Should I get:

PS3
53%
XBOX360
28%
Dedicated game-PC
19%

Total votes: 58

supamonsta

Re: PS3 or XBOX360 ????

Post by supamonsta » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:21 pm

Hi,

back from 2 holidays weeks, I bought and read 3-4 console magazines, and I pretty sure I'll go the ps3 route, here are the games I'm attracted by , lots of them beeing exclusives:

tekken 6
gods of war 1, 2 & 3
little big planet
demon souls
uncharted 1 & 2
infamous
wipeout HD or collin dirt 2
deadspace
killzone 2
Resident evil 5
Half life 2

and from the PSN, eden, shooter, xfoldern 1 & 2...

The xbox is cheaper, often has better graphics for non excusive games, but I find to be really attracted by the PS3 exclusives, and I'm a tekken and wipeout addict (I had both on the ps1)...

The PC route is definitely not my cup of tea, I would need to pay waaay much more than the price of a ps3 + 10 games to get a decent PC with enough power (and the mac fanboy I am doesn't really want to get back to windows since 4 apple years...)

the only disappointment I got, reading reviews, articles, game selections for both xbox and ps3, is that there are really too few 2 players platform games like LBP, rayman or stuff like that...
FPS, Simulation, Sports, RPG and 3D action-adventure games are really numerous and attractive, but where are the 2-players r-type style shooters and platformers????

I might be too old...

anyway,

thanks for your comments

cheers :mrgreen:

deanthomastunes

Post by deanthomastunes » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:30 pm

The only reason that cross-platform games look ever so slightly better on the Xbox is because of lazy developers failing to take full advantage of the PS3. Luckily, it is with the exclusives that the PS3 shines. Play the first 10 minutes of God of War 3 and you'll see what I mean lol.
Progressive/Tech/Uplifting Trance
Soundcloud | Facebook | Twitter

LATEST RELEASES
BUY HERE

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:03 am

supamonsta wrote: but where are the 2-players r-type style shooters and platformers????

I might be too old...
all that shit is geared toward online play it seems. this way you get the privilege of paying a monthly fee to play with others but you don't have to ever know them, look at them or smell their body odor... :x :? :wink: i dunno... i like 2 player games too, but it really does seem that online gaming is whats being pushed and pursued.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:26 am

Deanthomastunes wrote: Luckily, it is with the exclusives that the PS3 shines. Play the first 10 minutes of God of War 3 and you'll see what I mean lol.
absolutely, GOW 1, 2 and 3 are on top of my wishlist. this games look amazing! (I'll buy the 1+2 HD remaster first, it's only 25$...)

H20nly wrote:all that shit is geared toward online play it seems. this way you get the privilege of paying a monthly fee to play with others but you don't have to ever know them, look at them or smell their body odor... i dunno... i like 2 player games too, but it really does seem that online gaming is whats being pushed and pursued.
yes, this is strange, as the xbox and ps3 go "massive virtual multiplayer", while the wii remains in the REAL LIFE multiplayer...

but I don't want a wii :?

Happily,
I browsed a bit the PSN (playstation network), and it seems there are lots of "minis" and "little" games that are much more interesting for 2 players platformers, shooters and tetris or puzzle bobble style arcadre/reflexion games (we love that kind of games)... and not too pricey :D

but I'm still disappointed to see the LITTLE number of games available for the ps3 on the PSN (VS PSP games)... anyway I already found around 10 interesting ones that will perfectly suit the needs for fun 2players games with the girl :D

OK , I'm gonna PS3.

thanks again!

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:42 pm

I don't really like online play because of all the 14-year-olds that do nothing with their lives other than play video games and cap your ass as soon as you appear on the screen, and also I'm more disturbed by interacting with people in video games than I would be walking into a bar packed with sexually ambiguous tweakers.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:51 pm

beats me wrote:I don't really like online play because of all the 14-year-olds that do nothing with their lives other than play video games and cap your ass as soon as you appear on the screen
that is so true! they should have ranking systems so you can play with people of your caliber.

I'm more disturbed by interacting with people in video games than I would be walking into a bar packed with sexually ambiguous tweakers
:lol: :lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:02 pm

MacGuffin wrote:
beats me wrote:I don't really like online play because of all the 14-year-olds that do nothing with their lives other than play video games and cap your ass as soon as you appear on the screen
that is so true! they should have ranking systems so you can play with people of your caliber.

I'm more disturbed by interacting with people in video games than I would be walking into a bar packed with sexually ambiguous tweakers
:lol: :lol:

It's true. When I tried Second Life years ago I was embarrassed by the noob tutorial outfit I put on my character that I couldn't figure out how to change or take off. Then I fucked up my hair style to the point of it looking like a Mr. T mohawk that ran left to right instead of front to back. I felt like all the "people" were pointing and laughing at me. I'd constantly bump into people and type "Sorry, excuse me." Many times if people were approaching I would run or fly away.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:22 am

ok,

bought the ps3 last saturday, (120gb slim), and DeadSpace, tekken 6 and Gods of War collection (1 & 2 HD remastered)

and already had BIG BIG BIG fun quite finishing Gods of War 1 with the girlfriend. Can't wait to finish it, then play the others.

downloaded 2-3 little really fun games for cheap on the PSN, and this is really cool (Critter Crunch, PixelJunk Shooter and Eden totally rock, as for Söldner-X as I'm a big 2D shooters fan)

Played Tekken 6 for some hours yesterday... the graphics are not the best (objects collisions could be better), but the whole tekken experience is there, and really improved by the graphics and the number of characters ( I'm a big tekken 3 fan)

not yet tried DeadSpace, I'm a bit scared (I remember being terrified behind a closed door in wolfenstein 3D or doom, needing to breathe and relax before opening it...)

So far I LOVE the ps3, graphics are stunning, the OS is really cool and simple to use. Wifi is rock solid, and the connexion was a breeze.

I was afraid using the hdmi port for the graphics with a HDMI/DVI cable to my monitor would prevent from using also the RCA connectors to route to my audio system, but the parameters are really easy to tweak (dual video out, dual audio out...)
I have the hdmi routing video via DVI to the monitor, and audio routed to my ultralite and monitors via the RCA of the generic cable. I'm glad the ultralite can be used standalone, so I don't need to power the computer up...
(got no TV, so gotta use the computer monitor for the PS3)

Everything is smooth, easy, simple.

IT JUST WORKS BRILLIANTLY !!!

Thanks for your help!

cheers

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:34 am

I think I'll have some times away from music production,

Thanks again to all of you for your great help with ableton, synths, routings, gear, plugins, etc etc. You all rock.

Now I got everything working well, routed, plugged, ready to produce music...

I'm gonna shoot monsters and dismember zombies on the ps3.

Time to fight.

Sayonara!!!!

B-S

Post by B-S » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:02 pm

good. let us know if you face any issues with your PS3. I've read several articles about unit being noisy, overheat easily, etc...

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:44 pm

the ps3 is quite silent, even after a 10 hours session, but you can hear the fan cooler sometimes, nothing that I would really call "noisy".

Heat: it warms a bit up, but nothing really that could be called an "overheating problem" IMHO,

but the ps3 is 3 days brand new, I'll feedback in some times if I find anything :D

Now enjoying Deadspace, wow, stunning graphics and gameplay, and wow, nowadays games know how to be really, REALLY GORE 8O
:twisted: :twisted:

cheers

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:01 pm

^^ 10 hour session? 8O you've got it bad! :D

deadspace made me shit myself :mrgreen:

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:14 pm

May need to get deadspace now... sounds fun.

I'm really into playing Demon's Souls. If you've ever played Resident Evil 2 w/out a memory card it's a similar experience. Everything around you can kill you if you're not careful and if you die... back to the beginning it is for you and all the enemies respawn. Couple that w/ a creepy atmosphere and it plays like a survival horror game instead of a dungeon crawler. Very satisfying diablo2/oblivion RPG and only $30.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:11 am

yes, I read lots of reviews about demon souls, but I don't think I really could stand this difficulty level...

I'm not a hardcore gamer, even If I like difficulty and hard games, fact is, I don't want to do the same level 50 times before managing to get to the boss, then... die again :lol:

deadspace is really hard to me, even in normal game, but all the checkpoints and save points make me able to progress, I don't think I would really like to allways get to the beginning of the level after each death

Demon souls reviews attracted me, the ambiance seems cool, and all the fuss about its old school difficulty made me interested, but I'm too afraid I won't be able to get into :oops:

I may give it a try one day, when I'll be better at using the 2 pads and all the buttons on the dualshock3

BTW,

In deadspace I prefer inverting the Y axis of the camera pad, am I alone? should I stick with the normal X/Y, or is the option to invert the Y axis available in all FPS??

Because I'm getting used to inverted Y with deadspace, and I'm gonna buy other FPS like killzone 2, resistance 2, and I'm afraid I'll have to learn different controls??

cheers

Ed J

Post by Ed J » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:03 pm

supamonsta wrote:yes, I read lots of reviews about demon souls, but I don't think I really could stand this difficulty level...

I'm not a hardcore gamer, even If I like difficulty and hard games, fact is, I don't want to do the same level 50 times before managing to get to the boss, then... die again :lol:

deadspace is really hard to me, even in normal game, but all the checkpoints and save points make me able to progress, I don't think I would really like to allways get to the beginning of the level after each death

Demon souls reviews attracted me, the ambiance seems cool, and all the fuss about its old school difficulty made me interested, but I'm too afraid I won't be able to get into :oops:

I may give it a try one day, when I'll be better at using the 2 pads and all the buttons on the dualshock3

BTW,

In deadspace I prefer inverting the Y axis of the camera pad, am I alone? should I stick with the normal X/Y, or is the option to invert the Y axis available in all FPS??

Because I'm getting used to inverted Y with deadspace, and I'm gonna buy other FPS like killzone 2, resistance 2, and I'm afraid I'll have to learn different controls??

cheers
Dead space is freaking amazing. Probably the best survival horror game I've played in the past 5 years (if ever). The whole real-time thing really freaked me out at first, couldn't get used to the idea that stuff might attack you while you're on a radio call :D

The deadspace controls are pretty much the same as most 2nd and 3rd person controls (at least on xbox, should be the same on PS3), and I'm pretty sure I have the y axis inverted on it too.

Oh, and if you think dead space is hard, try doing the 'One Gun' achievement, you have to play the entire game with just the plasma cutter :D
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!