Even Microsoft thinks Apple "Just Works"

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
funky shit

Re: Even Microsoft thinks Apple "Just Works"

Post by funky shit » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:22 pm

this reminds me of the time on xbox live, where a couple of english boys where chatting in a london accent and this wee american wank blurts out

"dude, speak english"

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:54 pm

Well. Eh. I used to bang this chick who lived by Hainult station way East. Her Dad's accent was so thick that I couldn't understand a FUCKING WORD he was saying. It might have been "Please don't stick your thumb up my daughter's ass"' or "would you like a beer?".
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Well. Eh. I used to bang this chick who lived by Hainult station way East.

He was probably saying 'that's not how you f**king spell Hainault :? :lol:
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:15 pm

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Rave

Post by Rave » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:34 pm

English comes from England. Americans just speak a bastardised version of it. End of ...

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Actually English mainly comes from a mix Germaninc languages and Norman French. Therefore, we now speak a bastardised version of the original languages. It's not unfair then for the Americans, who also have a rich diversity of modern cultures, to have a bastardised version of their own.

Remember your roots! :D

thefinger

Post by thefinger » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:47 pm

Rave wrote:English comes from England. Americans just speak a bastardised version of it. End of ...
and the english sound just like a fucking chaucer story ... sure.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:48 pm

it just works :idea:

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Tarekith wrote:
plantaginate wrote:does everoyne else hate the way americas say caramel?
carmel? wft is that?
losers.
At least we say aluminum right. The english always add that extra "i" in the end.
Actually, both spellings have been used in the US over time. A little google will tell the story.

'The metal originally obtained its name from the Latin word for alum, alumen. The name alumina was proposed by L. B. G. de Moreveau, in 1761 for the base in alum, which was positively shown in 1787 to be the oxide of a yet to be discovered metal. Finally, in 1807, Sir Humphrey Davy proposed that this still unknown metal be referred to as aluminum. This was then altered further to that of aluminium so to agree with the "ium" spelling that ended most of the elements. This is the spelling that is generally used throughout the world. That is, until the American Chemical Society in 1925 officially reverted the spelling back to aluminum, which is how it is normally spelled in the United States.'
Last edited by UKRuss on Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:50 pm

thefinger wrote:and the englifh found juft like a fucking chaucer ftory ... fure.
Chaucered.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:02 pm

well, i need to get it of my chest, the worst english pronunciation / sound is south african english, they sound like they are all heavily mentally disabled, seriously disgusting... it is sort of the equivalent to the german 'schwaben accent' that also sounds like they are mentally retarded school children.

arrgghh...
*** Image GAFM ***

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:21 pm

8O Isn't that just the Afrikaans/Dutch roots coming through?

I have a more interesting question:

Why is it that when non-native English speakers speak English with their own accent, such as French of German (French people tend to struggle with English word endings and pronunciation, Germans tend to change word order to reflect German sentence structure and cannot pronounce 'th' sounds using 'z' sounds instead) we understand them completely.

Yet when we try to speak their languages, if we don't emulate their own accent perfectly, they don't understand a word we've said?

Zis is ze qvestion, or? For sure. :wink:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:01 pm

UKRuss wrote:Yet when we try to speak their languages, if we don't emulate their own accent perfectly, they don't understand a word we've said?
is this the case? really?

i have a few english friends who speak very funny sounding german and i can fully understand them.

that brings me again to sounds... dutch girls speaking german is so incredibly cute :D
*** Image GAFM ***

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:06 pm

UKRuss wrote:Yet when we try to speak their languages, if we don't emulate their own accent perfectly, they don't understand a word we've said?

Zis is ze qvestion, or? For sure. :wink:

Well, first of all I think that while I've seen this happen, it's not true most of the time. There are many immigrants here in Montreal who struggle learning French and I can still understand them. Some people have a hard time understanding different accents, of course, but that could easily happen, let's say, with some texan bumpkin who can't understand the "strange british accent".

And the other phenomenon worth noting is that there are millions of people who speak just a little bit of basic english which doesn't happen in other languages. When I travelled to Italy, I still mostly spoke english, even if Italian is close to French linguistically.
We are more used to hearing weird pronunciations of english words, our ears are tuned from decades of listening to tv and movies with Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Cheech Marin, Dolf Lundgren, random alcoholics from Manchester, etc...

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:23 pm

I make a generalisation, of course. I speak both French and German pretty well anyway so it's usually not an issue unless it's a very technical conversation. 8O

I have had it once where I only realised some time after the event that I had had a complete conversation in a different language. That was a good feeling, I wasn't aware we weren't speaking English, came natural.

France, ski season 1990, Meribel.

Good times.