Prince the Ponce

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
LoopStationZebra

Re: Prince the Ponce

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:00 am

dhilsabeck wrote: Says the man creeping on 4k posts in little over a year. :roll:
And every one of them a FUCKING GEM. :P

LoopStationZebra wrote: And I didn't take anything out of context. He's fucking bonkers.
dhilsabeck wrote:Prince? Bonkers?!? No fucking shit. Just another reason why so many people love him.
Yes but he used to be bonkers in a look at how effortlessly I combine 32 different musical genres to create gold kinda way; instead of a The internet's completely over kinda way. :lol:

LoopStationZebra wrote:And you don't agree that MTV's outdated?
My feelings on MTV are irrelevant because his comparing of MTV to the Internet is the

worst.

analogy.

ever.

Even worse than some of beatsie's automobile analogies.

:)

But I do agree that the reporter is a complete cunt. Then again, he's a member of the British music press. :lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:55 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:effortlessly
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

jeskola01

Post by jeskola01 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:06 am

beats me wrote:I don't get the logic behind not giving free digital downloads of the music away but then giving a shit ton of CDs away. And no shit wizards on here should start quipping about sound quality. There are plenty of options for high quality digital downloads, but I guess nobody in Prince's circle is going to pipe in with "But boss……".
Because the newspapers would be giving him a guaranteed lump sum of cash up front. Probably wouldn't have got the cash if the release wasn't exclusive to the papers - no doubt a hefty increase in sales for the newspaper.

No doubt the CD will end up online and Prince fans will be able to get it anyways, so it's a win win for him.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:21 am

jeskola01 wrote:
beats me wrote:I don't get the logic behind not giving free digital downloads of the music away but then giving a shit ton of CDs away. And no shit wizards on here should start quipping about sound quality. There are plenty of options for high quality digital downloads, but I guess nobody in Prince's circle is going to pipe in with "But boss……".
Because the newspapers would be giving him a guaranteed lump sum of cash up front. Probably wouldn't have got the cash if the release wasn't exclusive to the papers - no doubt a hefty increase in sales for the newspaper.

No doubt the CD will end up online and Prince fans will be able to get it anyways, so it's a win win for him.
If that's the case then I'm annoyed even more. Artists at Prince's level could live large for the rest of the their life if they didn't do a damn thing to make money starting today. I was hoping it was purely some kind of artistic integrity thing but if it's just some new form of money grab under the guise of "you get it for free" then fuck that.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:18 am

Prince's last album release was also distributed through the newspapers in the UK.

I think it was eventually released in stores but a couple of months after. A bit like Radiohead's In Rainbows.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:20 am

leedsquietman wrote:Prince's last album release was also distributed through the newspapers in the UK.

I think it was eventually released in stores but a couple of months after. A bit like Radiohead's In Rainbows.
Aah, with this and the comment about the Internet, it all makes sense now...Prince is single-handedly attempting to save print media. Wow. You go big guy. You go.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:55 am

I think the UK release was from a couple years back: Planet Earth. It pretty much was advertising for his 21 date run at the O2 arena in London. He makes a lot of money playing live as he should.

Plus, I think the "free" albums technically count as record sales so that's also good for business. Plus it encourages people to listen to higher quality versions of his stuff.

I think he also did this by giving away free copies of Musicology at his shows a few years ago and fixed it into the ticket price.

I could of course be wrong about all of this.

LoopStationZebra wrote: Yes but he used to be bonkers in a look at how effortlessly I combine 32 different musical genres to create gold kinda way; instead of a The internet's completely over kinda way. :lol:

Maybe you haven't heard No More Candy 4 U. It's off his last album and it's as gold as it gets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD6Et6QQ ... re=related

And again, don't take the "internet's completely over" out of context. You said so yourself the journalist was a "complete cunt". Despite being very bonkers, Prince is smart and successful and very tactful. You allegedly don't even like him and you're advertising for him.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:24 am

dhilsabeck wrote: Prince is smart and successful and very tactful. You allegedly don't even like him and you're advertising for him.

SNAPALOOPALA!!!

The sturgeon is loose!

:D
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:39 am

Prince makes cool music, plus he banged carmen electra... and I loved the shit out of her when I was a teen.

ergo Prince > me.

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:40 am

Can't he lick his own balls or something?
Drums

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:45 am

ChiDJ wrote:This
this

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:53 am

Pr0nce?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:51 am

H20nly wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:effortlessly

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jebus. If you can't troll in the fucking Lounge then where can you troll? :lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:30 pm

Dude's name is 'Prince'

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:57 pm

dhilsabeck wrote:I've been interested in Prince's delusions since I was about 5 years old and very confused about Computer Blue.
LoopStationZebra wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/201 ... -22382552/
The internet's completely over
:lol:
I think this is taken a little out of context. How I interpreted it is that the internet music business model is broken, which I do agree with. With Itunes, prices went up about 100% and quality went way down. People were then "forced" or encouraged to "pirate" music because they don't want to pay $15 for an inferior quality version of their favorite music. Doesn't make sense. Bad business model so people (both consumers and producers) search for alternatives.

And then Prince denies iTunes distribution to his new music and they get angry. I think that's a reasonable protest and one that very few people could pull off effectively. The catch though, is the healthy amount of music sharing and the fans that will no doubt get their hands on the new music, regardless of where it's distribution is limited to. It took me a while to get my hands on MPLS sound/Lotusflower and I did try getting to Target, but there aren't too many Targets around here...so I downloaded it and insist with people that Prince continues to release incredible music. And loved it and will continue to try to support Prince because people genuinely want to support good art.

-----

And anyone who is treated to the opportunity to jam out with Prince and then go on to portray him as a delusional freak is kind of a dick. Seriously. That's the type of shit you talk about constantly until the day you die. "Did I ever tell you fuckers the time I jammed out with Prince..." Opportunity of a lifetime and this person took it for granted. Weak.

i think that, with Prince, if he directs an "interview" by hosting a priviate tour of Paisley Park, an invitation to play drums with a living legend, a personal screening of his new material, a "party" with smoothies and melons in his personal club and watch old soul train videos, you just have to go with that shit. For a journalist, that a gift. Why would anyone in their right mind ask dumb questions about Michael Jackson and personal relationships and the past? As if there isn't enough interesting shit happening on the spot that you can't just go with that and come up with a fascinating article, then you just flat out suck as a journalist.

late to the party as usual but look at it this way i'm early for your next one :)
gotta say this was spot on what a post and those of you who don't get it are whats wrong with the world hahaahaha