Prince the Ponce

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
LoopStationZebra

Re: Prince the Ponce

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:33 pm

I somehow don't think that Steve Jobs is losing any sleep over not having Prince in his roster.

Love how CNN and others just picked up this story over the weekend.

THE INTERNET IS OVER!!!!

lol

I remember during the height of the Purple Rain era when fuckwit journalist after fuckwit journalist was comparing Prince's guitar playing to that of Jimi Hendrix. Oh My.

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:01 am

I'm of the opinion that Steve Jobs, the man who could quite possibly have anything in the world, does in fact lose sleep because he cannot have Prince. It's poetic justice. The owner of what could become the largest record "label" of all time cannot have (arguably) the most talented artist of all time.

More power to Prince, the man who's been fighting the good fight against greedy labels from almost day one. Once those assholes get a better business model maybe, just maybe they'll get him.

But probably not, because he's Prince.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:16 pm

^ hell yeah!

fucker said if you won't pay up front i'll give the shit away, piss on ya... Steves probably been rocking in a corner arms around his legs trying to fathom this word... 'give' for days now...

"what does it mean"
"but the profit, the profit?!"
"sharing creates loyality... no NO this can't be... manipulation and packaging creates loyalty"
"packaging...packaging... packaging...."
"a newspaper is not a package"
"there's an app for that"
"app for that"
"curse you Prince!!!"
"curse YOU!"
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:19 pm

no.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:39 pm

Hey, the upside is that sales of the Daily Mirror actually broke 15,000. :P

"hi, I'm going to make a gutless statement about the Internet and online sales and iTunes by helping the sales of one of the world's most WRETCHED newspapers."

o
m
f
g

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:04 pm

:D
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:39 pm

H20nly wrote:^ hell yeah!

fucker said if you won't pay up front i'll give the shit away, piss on ya... Steves probably been rocking in a corner arms around his legs trying to fathom this word... 'give' for days now...

"what does it mean"
"but the profit, the profit?!"
"sharing creates loyality... no NO this can't be... manipulation and packaging creates loyalty"
"packaging...packaging... packaging...."
"a newspaper is not a package"
"there's an app for that"
"app for that"
"curse you Prince!!!"
"curse YOU!"
LoopStationZebra wrote:no.
I totally agree. It's more likely that Steve Jobs loves Prince and this hurts his feelings more than it causes anger.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:46 pm

^ give him time.. he's crossing over from the denial stage in to the depression stage. this is because he started with the negotiation stage which... failed. eventually he will reach the acceptance stage and after that the world will have a new distraction to confuse them because, if for no other reason, putting the lowercase letter 'i' in front of anything else will cause only teenie boppers and LSZ to be able to keep track of the list of polished, highly technical, highly desirable... turds. this state of confusion coupled with mass want is his happy place. because YOUR money makes his feelings... better.

Now go out there, get another iTunes container and start downloading today!

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:01 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:gutless statement about the Internet
Which spread like wildfire via said internet.

New album is pretty interesting after first listen...

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:08 pm

H20nly wrote:eventually he will reach the acceptance stage
I'm not so sure about this. Prince is fucked in the head. No doubt. But he is full of love and is eager to share his gifts with the world. However if one was on the receiving end of his utter contempt, I think that would be an awfully hard pill to swallow.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:21 pm

^
his chastisement might smart a little, i agree with you there and i agree with Prince, especially as an artist/musician, even in his fucked-in-the-headitude ... and i find humor in Steve's developing persona, which at this point is rapidly seeping through the seams - its a good thing (for him) those gadgets are so cool.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:54 pm

Artists at Prince's level shouldn't be burning a lot of calories trying to figure out how to get the most personal bang for the buck out of song sales because they don't need the money or delivering the most pristine sound quality because it was established 50 years ago that no matter what quality level you give it to people at they are still going to mash it down to a shitty mp3.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:15 pm

^ If artists at Prince's level don't give a shit who will? Who is really in a position to tell the mighty Apple iTunes (amongst others) what they can and cannot do, or even should do, and actually have anybody pay any real attention. I know if I tried to tell them how they're gonna run shit that there wouldn't be write ups about it, LSZ would NOT start a thread and other than me and the other peeps in LiquidLab no one would notice that doesn't know me personally or come in some kind of direct contact with us.

If Prince, Lady GaGa, Madonna, Stevie Wonder, NAS, The Rolling Stones, Jay Z, Daft Punk, NOFX, Barbara Streisand, Metalica, Zamphir (pan flute in hand) and the likes all banded together and put a proverbial foot down you would see some directions and ideas shifting and under consideration etc. Its a Pyramid scheme so only those who have drank from the very top can change the bottom... because the bottom won't change itself... at least not intentionally.

meh. I don't know what I really think should change, but I think that money machines should be challenged lest they bleed the landscape dry.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:15 am

H20nly wrote:^ If artists at Prince's level don't give a shit who will? Who is really in a position to tell the mighty Apple iTunes (amongst others) what they can and cannot do, or even should do, and actually have anybody pay any real attention. I know if I tried to tell them how they're gonna run shit that there wouldn't be write ups about it, LSZ would NOT start a thread and other than me and the other peeps in LiquidLab no one would notice that doesn't know me personally or come in some kind of direct contact with us.

If Prince, Lady GaGa, Madonna, Stevie Wonder, NAS, The Rolling Stones, Jay Z, Daft Punk, NOFX, Barbara Streisand, Metalica, Zamphir (pan flute in hand) and the likes all banded together and put a proverbial foot down you would see some directions and ideas shifting and under consideration etc. Its a Pyramid scheme so only those who have drank from the very top can change the bottom... because the bottom won't change itself... at least not intentionally.

meh. I don't know what I really think should change, but I think that money machines should be challenged lest they bleed the landscape dry.
You're talking about a bunch of artists who greatly benefited from the old world music industry and while they may have been financially raped based on percentage they still managed to make mass fortunes that they could continue to live off of until the day they die even if they stopped all new moneymaking ventures starting today. I have no delusion they're fighting the industry for the future of the little guy. It's all about their ego and probably resentment over past practices.

It's like Odessa continuing to go around the world hunting down Nazis into their 90's. I'm not saying knock it off or let it go. Have at it. But largely nobody gives a shit anymore beyond a train wreck like fascination of possibly getting a glimpse of a genuine living Nazi. Similarly nobody gives a shit about established rock stars battling it out with major record labels or distributors beyond seeing who comes off as more of a whiny bitch.

The majors will continue to crank out their factory made shit, but more and more artists will start doing everything themselves and make the decisions and *gasp* can even sell their music on iTunes right next to the majors (but not Prince). Artists like Prince should stop whining about the industry that ultimately made them rich and famous and put more positive vibes and words out about helping people to become successful musicians that don't need a label.

I have the opposite view of you. Change isn't going to happen from the top down between rich musicians and rich labels. Change is going to happen from the bottom up and already is because the rich are too busy battling it out to see the little guy shoving them out of the way.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:27 pm

beats me wrote: Similarly nobody gives a shit about established rock stars battling it out with major record labels or distributors beyond seeing who comes off as more of a whiny bitch.
THIS THIS THIS THIS

omfg

It's like listening to someone at Goldman Sachs whining about how government interference will result in their making only $10billion in profits this year; as opposed to their usual $15bil

:lol:

Now, when Prince steps up and offers his own alternative to help other artists, and stops acting as a shill for some news rag, we'll have something to talk about.