I can now reach for the lasers in my lounge

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
tlennon

Re: I can now reach for the lasers in my lounge

Post by tlennon » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:33 pm

@beats me & Rave - Do you charge/get paid more if you supply the lighting effects?
Terrence Lennon

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:05 pm

When I used to do private gigs - very much so. I always rented in the past. These lights are for my place only,though I have taken one of them for a spin already outside to see how it would cope.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:20 pm

tlennon wrote:@beats me & Rave - Do you charge/get paid more if you supply the lighting effects?
I'm probably the last person on this forum you should ask because my gigs have mostly been for the love of the game. And I don't mean that in an artistic integrity way but more like would I rather sit at home and do nothing or go out and attempt to keep a dance floor moving with drink in hand. I have gotten paid but it's never been some big contractual thing with options.

But in general I think the venue owner largely doesn't give a shit about lighting and probably wouldn't want to pay extra. Lights are more for the benefit of myself and the crowd. There probably isn't a university willing to fund this study but I'm willing to bet that if you took 2 gigs with the same DJ and same crowd and did one without lights and one with, the one with the lights would have a lot more energy and people dancing.

Lights probably become more of an area of focus and rate increase with things like contractual wedding and corporate gigs.