Everybody take a look at my lovely country...

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
nathannn

Re: Everybody take a look at my lovely country...

Post by nathannn » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:08 am

this video really didn't make any sense to me.
not once did they really explain why the people where rioting.

any one with some insight care to explain?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:44 am

I wasn't sure either, but then I googled "Ardoyne riots".

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:22 pm

An analogy for the americans:

What would you expect to happen if the KKK were allowed to march/parade through Compton ?
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:37 pm

dum wrote:An analogy for the americans:

What would you expect to happen if the KKK were allowed to march/parade through Compton ?
Excellent analogy, but...

Wanna know something ironic? The KKK's headquarters are in Compton... ARKANSAS! :lol:

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:58 pm

MacGuffin wrote:
dum wrote:An analogy for the americans:

Excellent analogy, but...

Wanna know something ironic? The KKK's headquarters are in Compton... ARKANSAS! :lol:
heh, how poetic :D

my favourite such street name has to be the location of the british embassy in tehran.
It bothered them so much they sealed the main door and opened a new one on an adjoining street by a different name :mrgreen:

soultwist

Post by soultwist » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:04 pm

dum wrote:STOP THE PRESS!! News just in from the greater toronto area..

Except Toronto cops made over 100 arrests in the first day...NO arrests here? What the shit?

Also, no injured cops. Why? Because they put these "recreational protestors" (makes me sick) in their place and roughed them up as they pleased; something these same recreational protestors whined about for days in their tweets and in their "anti-establishment" blogs. But the instructions and locations for peaceful protests were clearly given. If you're in the red zone, anything goes. That cement block on the head could have been prevented by a sniper rifle from a slightly taller roof, a safe distance away is all I'm saying.

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:16 pm

soultwist wrote:
dum wrote:STOP THE PRESS!! News just in from the greater toronto area..

Except Toronto cops made over 100 arrests in the first day...NO arrests here? What the shit?

Also, no injured cops. Why? Because they put these "recreational protestors" (makes me sick) in their place and roughed them up as they pleased; something these same recreational protestors whined about for days in their tweets and in their "anti-establishment" blogs. But the instructions and locations for peaceful protests were clearly given. If you're in the red zone, anything goes. That cement block on the head could have been prevented by a sniper rifle from a slightly taller roof, a safe distance away is all I'm saying.
I'm not sure about the toronto stuff you refer to, so I can't comment on that (perhaps you should exercise the same thing in this discussion?)

but regarding these riots... you only know they are 'recreational' rioters because that is what you were told in a skewed broadcast. Keep that in mind. As for the slab that fell... well as you can see from the footage the riot squad are blasting a water canon up against the wall and blocks are falling from it as a result of the water (as well as other stuff being thrown). I thought it was peculiar the way they zoomed in on the slab that fell on the injured riot police, you couldn't see if it was thrown or if it fell from the wall due to the water like so many other slabs before it. Plus, they said it 'dropped' ..that seemed a little contrived to me too. It would have taken at least two men to lift that slab to chest height and throw it... I mean, I'm not going conspiracy nut here... but it just seems odd the way it was shown & worded in the report.

And this isn't some 'anti establishment' riot, this is a historical clash that has been taking place like clockwork for years. The solution is simply not allowing such a sectarian, provocative, incendiary, hateful parade to proceed through nationalist areas where it is clearly inappropriate and unwelcome.

And finally, the protest started off peaceful with civil disobedience (trying to block the parade passing through nationalist areas with human chains and 'sit-downs' etc) but it escalated, as per the script, when riot police initiated the violence.

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:10 pm

dum wrote:location of the british embassy in tehran.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:11 pm

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but what are the agendas and greivances from both sides of the table?

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:14 pm

dum wrote:
dum wrote:location of the british embassy in tehran.
NICE

@beats: the agendas from both sides involves being total cunts.

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:17 pm

@beats

Loyalists want to exert dominance over Nationalists by parading through their areas in full dress.

Or in american terms:
the KKK want to exert dominance over African-Americans by parading through Compton in white sheets.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:20 pm

The idea of dressing up and marching through streets amuses me.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:27 pm

dum wrote:@beats

Loyalists want to exert dominance over Nationalists by parading through their areas in full dress.

Or in american terms:
the KKK want to exert dominance over African-Americans by parading through Compton in white sheets.
So it's a blatant case of WTF were they thinking? Is there any kind of historical reference anywhere when this kind of parading around had the desired effect and didn't instead result in an architectural food fight?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:34 pm

dum wrote:@beats
Or in american terms:
Now, now, I'm pretty sure if we asked one of the many Orangemen that frequent this board he wouldn't exactly state it like that. So if beats wants a 'both sides' thing, that ain't it.

Beats, as I see it:
the Loyalists, those guys in orange with a natty taste in socks and bad music, they have this slightly unusual idea about them being oppressed and them just trying to uphold their traditions of celebrating being upholders of the law and niceness. But they see the other side, the 'papists' , as being evil villains who live precisely on the traditional leylines of orange peacefulness. The leylines where they traditionally celebrate invading and taking over a country. As you do.

The "Nationalists", or "people who happen to actually live on that road", basically don't want a big parade on the theme of "Fuck You" marching outside their house. Weirdly.

why not join in the merry traditional orangey songs they sing with this handy web lyric guide
http://mysite.verizon.net/cbladey/osong/ooooo2.html

prepare to say "holy fuck", and "what fucking year is this?"
Last edited by Angstrom on Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:35 pm

Famous Scene from The Blues Brothers:

"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"