What does electronic music mean to you?

Discussion of anything not related to audio or music production
beats me

Re: What does electronic music mean to you?

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:17 pm

Chin stroking post of the year.

I wish I could return to the days of just liking what I like but since you posed the direct question, it's become an unstoppable analysis of what software or hardware the artist is using and how they achieved the sounds they got.

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:26 pm

beats me wrote:Cock stroking post of the year.
fixies!
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

soultwist

Post by soultwist » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:28 pm

I think it was someone in this forum who said (roughly)that "Good music should have some level of surprise and unpredictability". I agree.

Electronic music gives me two levels of anticipation: composition and sonic possibility. And the last one is what it means to me. If I listen to a song, I may feel a change coming, a drop, or chorus, etc. But I can't predict what I'm about to hear, like I can with an old Ramones record for example.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:38 pm

dum wrote:
beats me wrote:Cock stroking post of the year.
fixies!
:lol:

That seriously gave me the unpleasant visual of somebody rubbing one out to their favorite electronic production.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:46 pm

dum wrote:ok, well, what does clark-type laidback stuff mean to you ?
(and the same goes for noisy ambient stuff like ben frost)

bonus points if you can answer without using the words Immerse Inner Outer Connect Subconscious

good challenge! I'll give it a try. :mrgreen:

What I like about so-called "IDM" like Clark, Aphex Twin, Manual, Mouse on Mars, etc. Is that it has a good balance between "artsyness" and entertainment. Usually a lot of nice and interesting experimental sounds in an entertaining presentation.

What I like about noisy ambient stuff like Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Fennesz, Polmo Polpo, that sort of thing, is the balance between harshness and beauty, the sense of a timeless moment... at times recreating the feeling when you're after a night of partying and you hear musical links between drone tones in the ventilation of the subway tunnels and all the neon lights buzzing. Also, sometimes the harshness just gets me in the guts, kinda like extreme metal should if it wasn't made by tough guys obsessed by juvenile over-the-top violence.

dum

Post by dum » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:28 pm

MacGuffin wrote:
dum wrote:ok, well, what does clark-type laidback stuff mean to you ?
(and the same goes for noisy ambient stuff like ben frost)

bonus points if you can answer without using the words Immerse Inner Outer Connect Subconscious

good challenge! I'll give it a try. :mrgreen:

What I like about so-called "IDM" like Clark, Aphex Twin, Manual, Mouse on Mars, etc. Is that it has a good balance between "artsyness" and entertainment. Usually a lot of nice and interesting experimental sounds in an entertaining presentation.

What I like about noisy ambient stuff like Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Fennesz, Polmo Polpo, that sort of thing, is the balance between harshness and beauty, the sense of a timeless moment... at times recreating the feeling when you're after a night of partying and you hear musical links between drone tones in the ventilation of the subway tunnels and all the neon lights buzzing. Also, sometimes the harshness just gets me in the guts, kinda like extreme metal should if it wasn't made by tough guys obsessed by juvenile over-the-top violence.
kool :D
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:33 pm

so how many points is that total, with the bonus :)

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:42 pm

it just works

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:42 pm

BoxDJ wrote:What does electronic music mean to you? In what ways it is expressive and soulful?

For example, Jazz music is where the rules are constantly broken. Jazz is like having a conversation with someone, it shows the listener what the artist is thinking and feeling. A very cool genre in my opinion.

What would you say about electronic music though? A representation of the present, the future, the technology world? Lets hear your thoughts.

:mrgreen:
Electronic music is, more than Jazz, a music where rules can be broken. For me, it means infinite freedom from any constraints. It can be as innovative as it can be derivative, just like any other music, but once you don't give a shit about styles and genres, the sky is the only limit.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:53 pm

a higher electrical bill.
*** Image GAFM ***

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:01 pm

eep opp ork ah ah

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:18 pm

I think like "pop' "acoustic" "Classical" electronic music could be anything as long as it's produced electronically.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Think different.

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:30 pm

Speaking of Clark, this is a good tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM1lLuOz-58
Drums

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:32 am

For me as a listener, it could mean any number of sub styles of music incorporating mainly electronic instruments.

As a composer, it refers to the tools I use to create roughly one half of my own musical equation (acoustic instruments being the other).