So, macs arent smart enough to automatically choose souncard

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
flowdesigner

So, macs arent smart enough to automatically choose souncard

Post by flowdesigner » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:29 pm

I was hoping that when I unplugged it from my fireface, and opened Live, the built in soundcard was automatically connected.
It just doesnt work. Lame

martinkellogs

Re: So, macs arent smart enough to automatically choose souncard

Post by martinkellogs » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:32 pm

sorry to hear.
Last edited by martinkellogs on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:37 pm

spit rust corks

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:39 pm

flowdesigner wrote:I was hoping that when I unplugged it from my fireface, and opened Live, the built in soundcard was automatically connected.
it's lives fault, other programs can do that, peak for example always jumps to the built in I/O if it can't find the last connected card,

other programs automatically prompt you to the choices at the time, etc. every program is dealing differently with it, live sucks in that department, i often criticised that.

making big plans about new functions (or announcing them and then nothing happens) but not even getting the utmost simple basics right.
*** Image GAFM ***

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:46 pm

SubFunk wrote:
flowdesigner wrote:I was hoping that when I unplugged it from my fireface, and opened Live, the built in soundcard was automatically connected.
it's lives fault, other programs can do that, peak for example always jumps to the built in I/O if it can't find the last connected card,

other programs automatically prompt you to the choices at the time, etc. every program is dealing differently with it, live sucks in that department, i often criticised that.

making big plans about new functions (or announcing them and then nothing happens) but not even getting the utmost simple basics right.
This.

Logic automatically detects sound cards too.

Really pisses me off when I boot up Live and without fail I have to go into the prefs and fuck around with the soundcard option.

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:59 pm

Maybe it is a safety mechanism . Imagine you got the volume really high for that soundcard.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:00 pm

Rave wrote:Maybe it is a safety mechanism . Imagine you got the volume really high for that soundcard.
bullshit!
*** Image GAFM ***

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:04 pm

SubFunk wrote:
Rave wrote:Maybe it is a safety mechanism . Imagine you got the volume really high for that soundcard.
bullshit!
Don't hold back fella :lol:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:05 pm

beats me wrote:
SubFunk wrote:

This.

Logic automatically detects sound cards too.

Really pisses me off when I boot up Live and without fail I have to go into the prefs and fuck around with the soundcard option.
yep!

if at least the popup would show with the right tab open where need to change it (which some other progs do, for example)

that would be already cool, but the need to go through the prefs every single time, i especially don't understand this for a program that is specifically designed for laptop use (live use = laptops) and you pull a laptop permanently in and out of a studio... using more then one soundcard.

get the basics right before any further new function nonsense... live needs to be way more convenient and FAST in use, it is if i can remind them particular for live use! that means every saved second setting the system up in a club / venue is valuable.
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:07 pm

Rave wrote:
SubFunk wrote:
bullshit!
Don't hold back fella :lol:

sorry not against you at all, but it's bullshit, it is after my knowledge (and i do know the one or other daw) the only one left with such an annoying way of dealing with it.
*** Image GAFM ***

steko

Post by steko » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:29 pm

Yeah, this is one of the annoyances of Live, you can't specify a default card. I often take the laptop outside to work, which means I have to reselect the RME card each time I get back in the studio. As mentioned, in Logic it will always use the RME if connected, or the internal card if it's not. Very convenient.

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:34 pm

I will test this on cubase later :)

One thing I did not like is that ableton wouldn't even open if I had disconnected my native instruments dj audio 4 card

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:40 pm

Make sure you get this, it's free!

SoundSource menu bar app. Change audio hardware from the Finder + shortcuts to audio and MIDI prefs.

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/dow ... Source.zip
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:36 pm

On pc, double click where it says "off" in the top right hand corner that takes you straight to the sound card settings. Not a total solution I know, but something at least.