How many different DAWS do u typically use to produce

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.

How many DAWS do u use to produce a track typically?

60%
33%
3+
6%

Total votes: 48

ChiDJ

Re: How many different DAWS do u typically use to produce

Post by ChiDJ » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:01 am

Machinesworking wrote:Tiny screenshot, but cool. Honestly I just started working with Live in Rewire mode, mostly I run DAWs as "separate but equal" so both can run AUs.
On a laptop, Spaces kicks ass for Live and DP, rewired or not. This is where Kore rules too, same instance of Kore holds all running VI's so it's easy as shit to transfer whole songs between Live and DP. Mainly I use it to hold the instruments I'll play in a live context though.
I'm getting DP7 ASAP, as I really want the resizable TO, contextual menus, resizable fonts, and broadcast WAV file recording. 8)

ChiDJ wrote:Image

Lt me know how you like DP 7. I'm still on 5 and Tiger and not planning to upgrade til my CPU takes a dirt nap.
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:10 am

FWIW - DP 7.2 is getting mostly great reviews at Gearslutz by long time DP users.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar10/articles/dp7.htm - DP7 review
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr10/a ... p_0410.htm - dp7.1 new features
http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=12984 - dp7.2 new features

Sound On Sound review by long time DP user Robin Bigwood.

BTW the upgrade cost from any previous version of DP to DP7 is only $195.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:36 pm

I knew you liked DP, but I didn't know you preferred it over DVDA?

www.instantrimshot.com

dum

Post by dum » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Logic definitely gets the only DAW to work in on OSX treatment though, and people IMO just naturally gravitate toward sit thinking it's the solution on OSX.
it's no mystery.

Logic offers ' wow 8O ' amounts of bang for buck, it's an industry AND educational standard, and you're right it is the OSX DAW. There's no thinking about that, that's a certifiable fact. It's developed by APPLE who make the hardware it runs on as well as the OS. You don't get much more the than that.

I get the fact you like DP though and I take your word for it that it is a great DAW to write with, and I will definitely check it out at some point on the strength of your recommendations and tips. But do all of your DP promotional posts really need to sit on a foundation of Logic criticism/indifference ?
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:36 pm

leedsquietman wrote:FWIW - DP 7.2 is getting mostly great reviews at Gearslutz by long time DP users.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar10/articles/dp7.htm - DP7 review
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr10/a ... p_0410.htm - dp7.1 new features
http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=12984 - dp7.2 new features

Sound On Sound review by long time DP user Robin Bigwood.

BTW the upgrade cost from any previous version of DP to DP7 is only $195.
Thanks Brotha! I also frequent MotuNation and they've been really postive about 7.2 as well. :wink:

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:41 pm

timothyallan wrote:I knew you liked DP, but I didn't know you preferred it over DVDA?

http://www.instantrimshot.com
:lol:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:39 pm

dum wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Logic definitely gets the only DAW to work in on OSX treatment though, and people IMO just naturally gravitate toward sit thinking it's the solution on OSX.
it's no mystery.

Logic offers ' wow 8O ' amounts of bang for buck, it's an industry AND educational standard, and you're right it is the OSX DAW. There's no thinking about that, that's a certifiable fact. It's developed by APPLE who make the hardware it runs on as well as the OS. You don't get much more the than that.

I get the fact you like DP though and I take your word for it that it is a great DAW to write with, and I will definitely check it out at some point on the strength of your recommendations and tips. But do all of your DP promotional posts really need to sit on a foundation of Logic criticism/indifference ?
Don't get me wrong I like Logic. I switched from DP to it for years. My criticism of Logic comes from what I see as a shitty Apple policy that most people probably wouldn't agree with, which is to buy good products and then market them as being the only solution to buy if you want power, stability, integration, etc. Logic was a great program previous to Apple buying them, and I know they can do what they want, but it's very possible that Cubase and DP disappear on the Mac due to the the fact that Apple now is behind Logics marketing. Plus, honestly I haven't been thrilled with the way Logic is going since 8, it's become Apple-ized in ways I don't like, that slow my production of songs down, but make beginners feel comfortable on the onset. <--- this to me is the evil side of the Apple paradigm. So it's not indifference born out of some fear of a program I don't like or understand, it's out of what I see as a watering down of a once great program coupled with the destroying of the high end native DAW market on OSX by Apples not so subtle hints that the DAW to get on OSX is Logic, with all the implications that go with that. Educational wise, that's Apple's marketing ability, previous to them acquiring Logic I never heard of Logic being used much if at all in education.

I've been paid a few times to tutor people starting out in Logic, in two occasions it was obvious that the people would have been better off with Live in one case and DP in the other.
The Live case, the kid after about two years in Logic gets Live, and instantly abandons Logic, but talking to him about it two years previous he wasn't having it, as Logic was 'the' DAW on OSX. The other case the guy had used Pro Tools a bit, and wanted a solution for tracking his rock band. Logic is merely OK for this, DP has a huge amount of advantages in the traditional recording methods way, as the one area it's really straightforward in is this.

You really want to read some paranoid anti Logic posts, go to Motunation. Good guys, but Logic is a dirty word there! :lol:

dum

Post by dum » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:09 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
dum wrote:
it's no mystery.

Don't get me wrong I like Logic. I switched from DP to it for years. My criticism of Logic comes from what I see as a shitty Apple policy that most people probably wouldn't agree with, which is to buy good products and then market them as being the only solution to buy if you want power, stability, integration, etc. Logic was a great program previous to Apple buying them, and I know they can do what they want, but it's very possible that Cubase and DP disappear on the Mac due to the the fact that Apple now is behind Logics marketing. Plus, honestly I haven't been thrilled with the way Logic is going since 8, it's become Apple-ized in ways I don't like, that slow my production of songs down, but make beginners feel comfortable on the onset. <--- this to me is the evil side of the Apple paradigm. So it's not indifference born out of some fear of a program I don't like or understand, it's out of what I see as a watering down of a once great program coupled with the destroying of the high end native DAW market on OSX by Apples not so subtle hints that the DAW to get on OSX is Logic, with all the implications that go with that. Educational wise, that's Apple's marketing ability, previous to them acquiring Logic I never heard of Logic being used much if at all in education.

I've been paid a few times to tutor people starting out in Logic, in two occasions it was obvious that the people would have been better off with Live in one case and DP in the other.
The Live case, the kid after about two years in Logic gets Live, and instantly abandons Logic, but talking to him about it two years previous he wasn't having it, as Logic was 'the' DAW on OSX. The other case the guy had used Pro Tools a bit, and wanted a solution for tracking his rock band. Logic is merely OK for this, DP has a huge amount of advantages in the traditional recording methods way, as the one area it's really straightforward in is this.

You really want to read some paranoid anti Logic posts, go to Motunation. Good guys, but Logic is a dirty word there! :lol:

OK, in a nutshell:
1:you resent the persuasive power of apple marketing.
2:you feel the program has been dumbed down, apple-ized.
3:you fear apple will, via marketing policies, kill off other native osx DAWs

1: meh
2: Well, I have no argument to make in support of or against that. But I'd like to see if other logic users agree with your feelings. They also apple-ized the price, and apple-ized the content to include applications like soundtrack pro.
3: remove the tin-foil hat and step away from the submit button.

Re: education. Ya, obviously it's Apple's influence pushing logic in the realm of education. No prizes for spotting that redundant fact. The reason I brought that up is you seem mystified as to why mac users gravitate towards logic. It's patently clear. Besides that simple fact I'm not really interested in a pro/con discussion on apple or apple's involvement with logic etc.

That and I simply observed all your DP promo posts are almost entirely based on or born of logic criticisms. I don't know what that means.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:39 pm

That and I simply observed all your DP promo posts are almost entirely based on or born of logic criticisms. I don't know what that means.
That I used Logic for years, got sick of it, and think DP is currently a better choice for complimenting Live.
Remeber I'm fluent enough in Logic to where I've been paid to teach it to noobs!

I think you're reading more into it than that, remember Logic has been my go to full fledged DAW for years and years, every ending relationship has it's bitter disapointments. That said, Logic is still third place for
me. Great interface in general!

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:14 am

It's all subjective though - for some people Emagic's last version (Logic Platinum 5.5) is the Holy Grail but for others (self included) the 'dumbing down', especially Logic 8 and 9 actually just works for want of a better phrase.

When I first started working in the studio, I knew Cubase (since it's MIDI only days on Atari and through it's various reincarnations on Mac and PC as first a MIDI program with audio bolted on, a.k.a. Cubase VST, then as an audio program with MIDI bolted on (SX to the present C5, where they basically built it from the ground up, using Nuendo's code base). I also knew how to use Protools 3 and then later Protools Mix systems, which were mostly used as an audio editor for 2" analogue tape or ADAT at the time. (at least where I was working).

Having to learn Logic Platinum 5, after years on Cubase and Protools, for me was a complete mindf*ck, and I hated the program and tried my best to get out of using it and use Cubase and Protools (which we also had) wherever possible - However, as I was the most junior member at the time, and all the old dudes were sticking rigidly to using Protools, I was eventually sent on a Logic course, because they pretty much wanted me to be the 'Logic guy' - that was on version 7 not long before v8 came around and the program just gelled much better for me from v8 on. The GUI changes worked for me, although I know they also irritated many long time users too. From what I hear, Logic is optimized in some areas better for the o/s and in others, years of legacy coding from Emagic holds it back. AFAIK, although Apple have input into it, they mostly retained the Emagic programmers.

Whatever. As for Cubase and Digital Performer - it's up to them to stand up to Apple with their own marketing strategies and compete if they want to stay in the game. Logic took a chunk out of Cubase's Mac market when they slashed the price in half and Steinberg failed to respond for almost 18 months, and DP will always have it's niche market, DP is still a huge deal for Hollywood movie composers etc, as a company they are small and not backed by Yamaha or Apple, but they could still do more in terms of marketing - a lot of people are saying how great DP 7.2 is but is that message getting out strongly beyond existing users at KVR, Gearslutz and MotuNation ? Reaper is just a couple of dudes yet has become a marketing phenomenon (esp PC, but growing on Mac, where it has caught up in functionality).
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:43 am

@leeds, yeah I get you, coming from DP Logic was much stranger than Cubase, just that Cubase VST V5 on a MAC wasn't as stable as Logic.
Also, I immediately was happy with Logics cycle bar and being able to draw it in the Arrange instead of dragging left and right locators.

To get into it slightly, what Apple changed was a fundamental IMO strong point of Logic, that the windows all related to each other in such clever ways. Chain, Chain Link, and Latch are still there, but things like hard wiring the stupid Live rip off subwindow into opening with double clicks, when before you could set Logic to open any number of windows when you double clicked MIDI and a different window for audio etc. The big one that pissed me off was making hidden tracks hard wired, so the Mixer doesn't show all the tracks unless you unhide them. This should be something controlled by Chain and Chain Link, in old Logic days it was, but Apple are not a fan of UI concepts that noobs might fuck up with, so hard wiring a "feature" that does absolutely Zilch IMO, to make it easy on new buyers, and make old users change their workflow entirely to match the new way... this is Apple's strength and weakness, that they will slash and burn if they think it's a good thing, but the GUI used to be customizable for a reason, now it's standardized. Sure some things are better, but the basic workflow is moving sideways instead of being more extensible. Another IMO lame thing is the fact that the Environment hasn't been improved, mostly it's been compromised. This seems like a shame, as it could be like Max, but it's a way of doing things that IMO Apple are not into.

IMO once Logic 7 stabilized, that was the one, but hey, years ago I was dogging on DP online after a M-Audio MIDI MIDI box couldn't be used with it to send beat clock, while Cubase and Logic could. At this point I'm aware it's more of an M-Audio issue than a MOTU issue though.