2012 - The final nail in industrial civilisation

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
dum

Re: 2012 - The final nail in industrial civilisation

Post by dum » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:41 pm

oh yippee.

more textbook permaculture rhetoric delivered in the 'moses from the mountaintop' style.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:42 pm

It just works.

plantaginate

Post by plantaginate » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:43 pm

the sun will fry you are penis
Last edited by plantaginate on Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plantaginate

Post by plantaginate » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:46 pm

mikemc wrote:C'mon, hold on a second...

:lol:
:lol:
plantaginate wrote:
fuck yeah,
and the end of the world will start with tidal waves in new york,
then a snow storm in LA,
then.....

.... nothing because everyone knows the world begins and ends with NY and LA
:lol: :lol:

You really do get the sense that people will be disappointed if the end of the world doesn't feature a Jeff Goldblumn-esque scientist, an upper-middle-class father struggling to do right by his family, and isn't properly televised.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:57 pm

plantaginate wrote:you're cute,
i hope your stocking up on 12 gauge ammo,
your shore gonna need it,,
Yes, this should be an ongoing activity regardless....

that a storm similar to the 1859 storm could happen is not be out of the question and what any scientific inquiry may be about is: in the case of a similar storm, what would the effects be given the extent of the modern electronics-based infrastructure. Basically what happened is that extra power was generated on telegraph wires because of the heightened activity of the earth's magnetosphere.

The wires that are used are different from 1859, they way they are insulated are different as well. But if there was more electricity running through the wires, it would depend on whether it was enough to actually cause a significant surge. If it did, then regional power failures could occur. Regional power failures are disruptive, multiple regional power failures would be more disruptive.

In that case it would be a big pain in the ass, kind of like Eyjafjallajokul airplane grounding plus the great Quebec ice storm power outage in more places, but not like worldwide Haiti earthquake plus widespread Katrina/Pakistani flood.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

plantaginate

Post by plantaginate » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:12 pm

tl;dr

your saying cunce r fukd?

i'm tyre'd

fekkit,

your all goanna dye,
deal widdit,

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:14 pm

mikemc wrote:
plantaginate wrote:you're cute,
i hope your stocking up on 12 gauge ammo,
your shore gonna need it,,
Yes, this should be an ongoing activity regardless....

that a storm similar to the 1859 storm could happen is not be out of the question and what any scientific inquiry may be about is: in the case of a similar storm, what would the effects be given the extent of the modern electronics-based infrastructure. Basically what happened is that extra power was generated on telegraph wires because of the heightened activity of the earth's magnetosphere.

The wires that are used are different from 1859, they way they are insulated are different as well. But if there was more electricity running through the wires, it would depend on whether it was enough to actually cause a significant surge. If it did, then regional power failures could occur. Regional power failures are disruptive, multiple regional power failures would be more disruptive.

In that case it would be a big pain in the ass, kind of like Eyjafjallajokul airplane grounding plus the great Quebec ice storm power outage in more places, but not like worldwide Haiti earthquake plus widespread Katrina/Pakistani flood.
You'll notice that i did say final nail, The other link supplies a particularly easy explanation of the coffin we are already sitting in. If anybody wants to debate the points step by step, i'd be more than willing to do that. Anyone else i will simply class as a troll, like good old dum.

dum

Post by dum » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:17 pm

/google permaculture
/delete emissary
/thread

time saved: unquantifiable.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

plantaginate

Post by plantaginate » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:20 pm

seriously dude,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjY0Us7NOns

you need to get with it,
none of this "what if" crap,

the future is now,

plantaginate

Post by plantaginate » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:21 pm

you're not gonna be able to trade radishes with the army of the future

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:52 pm

plantaginate wrote:seriously dude,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjY0Us7NOns

you need to get with it,
none of this "what if" crap,

the future is now,
AUUUAAHHH YEAH BABY... nice groups, and check the Penetration!!!

(note to self: next video about anything must contain the phrase "...I had to find out for myself...")
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:56 am

so does that mean I can't make coffee at home?

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:33 am

For recorded history, humans have been forecasting global Armageddon on a regular basis; and on an equally regular basis it has failed to arrive.

Smaller Armageddons (volcanic eruptions, massive earthquakes, floods, etc.) will, however, continue to occur now and then and cause great pain and anguish to millions. And perhaps some day a largish meteor will target Earth and cause another ELE (Extinction Level Event).
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:28 am

is this due to happen before the olympics? i hope so because i don't think we can pull it off and it'll save a lot of embarrassment.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:35 am

rasputin wrote:For recorded history, humans have been forecasting global Armageddon on a regular basis; and on an equally regular basis it has failed to arrive .
Proof please, i'd like to know some of these Armageddon Forecasts with actual proof, an argument without proof is useless.

As far as i am aware there is one date for armageddon, predicted by the Mayans. The bible obviously mentions the end days, but gives no dates. But thats by the by as i don't believe in the Mayan prophecy or Armageddon anyway.

Also i would like to point out the ridiculous argument that the fall of industrial civilisation is Armageddon, Was the fall of the Roman Empire Armageddon? it probably sure felt like it to the romans, but in fact was merely an eventuality from over complexity.