2012 - The final nail in industrial civilisation

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
macmurphy

Re: 2012 - The final nail in industrial civilisation

Post by macmurphy » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:36 am

also,if it happens then yeah it's going to completely wreck the industrialised world but we shouldn't fret over something that
1 - isn't guaranteed to occur/have the predicted effect; and
2 - we can't do anything about.

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:13 pm

Emissary wrote:
rasputin wrote:For recorded history, humans have been forecasting global Armageddon on a regular basis; and on an equally regular basis it has failed to arrive .
Proof please, i'd like to know some of these Armageddon Forecasts with actual proof, an argument without proof is useless.

As far as i am aware there is one date for armageddon, predicted by the Mayans. The bible obviously mentions the end days, but gives no dates. But thats by the by as i don't believe in the Mayan prophecy or Armageddon anyway.

Also i would like to point out the ridiculous argument that the fall of industrial civilisation is Armageddon, Was the fall of the Roman Empire Armageddon? it probably sure felt like it to the romans, but in fact was merely an eventuality from over complexity.
You might want to reflect on the irony about regurgitating the delusions of crackpots and then stating "an argument without proof is useless". Consider spending a few minutes in the library and educating yourself a little but about history before embarassing yourself further.

Religionists have been predicting various forms of global catastrophe since recorded history (See the apocalyptism article in wikipedia). And scientists have been doing it since Isaac Newton. In my lifetime just off the top of me head there has been: ecological catastrophe (Silent Spring), acid rain, an imminent global Ice Age, Y2K, AIDS or other diseases becoming pandemic, and so forth.
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:18 pm

Can't stand Drama, just live your life.

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:10 pm

rasputin wrote:
Emissary wrote:
rasputin wrote:For recorded history, humans have been forecasting global Armageddon on a regular basis; and on an equally regular basis it has failed to arrive .
Proof please, i'd like to know some of these Armageddon Forecasts with actual proof, an argument without proof is useless.

As far as i am aware there is one date for armageddon, predicted by the Mayans. The bible obviously mentions the end days, but gives no dates. But thats by the by as i don't believe in the Mayan prophecy or Armageddon anyway.

Also i would like to point out the ridiculous argument that the fall of industrial civilisation is Armageddon, Was the fall of the Roman Empire Armageddon? it probably sure felt like it to the romans, but in fact was merely an eventuality from over complexity.
You might want to reflect on the irony about regurgitating the delusions of crackpots and then stating "an argument without proof is useless". Consider spending a few minutes in the library and educating yourself a little but about history before embarassing yourself further.

Religionists have been predicting various forms of global catastrophe since recorded history (See the apocalyptism article in wikipedia). And scientists have been doing it since Isaac Newton. In my lifetime just off the top of me head there has been: ecological catastrophe (Silent Spring), acid rain, an imminent global Ice Age, Y2K, AIDS or other diseases becoming pandemic, and so forth.
Please point out where i was regurgitating the delusion of crackpots. Is Nasa now a bad source? I suppose your one of these people who thinks the moon landings were fake and Nasa is lying. Perhaps you don't believe in Jevon's Law, Hubert's Peak and Entropy either? Its a shame your wrapped up in conspiracy theory mate, the real world is so much more interesting. Your the one who brought up the apocalypse anyway. I wasn't even talking about it.

What i was talking about was the collapse of industrial civilization, the collapse of OUR civilization, and like every civilization before us something better will come from the ashes. I certainly would not class the end of our civ. as an apocalypse, hell anything other the an extinction level event from an asteroid is not worth worrying about and even then a stronger more intelligent race of beings may sprout from the ashes.

As far as "ecological catastrophe, acid rain, an imminent global Ice Age, Y2K, AIDS or other diseases becoming pandemic" if you have spent your life worrying about those you have been duped, like the poor shmucks who crapped themselves about the cold war.

Its wise to not run your mouth off at someone just because the number 2012 appear in a title or sentence. 2012 is a date your brain has clearly come to see in a biased way. I suggest your correct this to stop yourself looking foolish in future.