RIP Abletons forum as we know it

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
H20nly

Re: RIP Abletons forum as we know it

Post by H20nly » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:16 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:27 pm

smutek wrote:
Rave wrote:A new breed or forumites have risen and tbh they suck. I miss the good old days. :(
Agree. This used to be a pretty cool message board with a really diverse range of topics. Everyone had electronic music and ableton live in common but discussion ran the gamut with topics on everything from music production to politics to art to popular culture. Discussions and debates, though sometimes heated, were generally intelligent and thought provoking.

Overall it was an inspiring and interesting little corner of the web. Not so much anymore.

what he said

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:45 am

well, in the days before time 'guest' posting was allowed and every quote was attributed to a guy called "anonymous".. you'd think it strange that it seems worse now…

but it was bound to happen sooner or later - Ableton has just got too big now with way more users

I'm like Paddy though, I use "view new posts" so they're all mixed in. But I disagree that it's no different…. the lounge definitely seems to have encouraged things to get a lot more stupid… or was it just that it happened around the same time as DJSynchro lost his login to an Apple sales-bot or the tourettes kicked in?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:01 am

rudd1028 wrote:You guys think you own this place because you've been here longer than the new guys?

Best
I'm very glad you phrased that as a question, because the answer is an emphatic NO.

I'm just commenting on the changing forum culture.

I respectfully challenge you to show me one instance of me being a dickhead on here (in your words "owning the place").

Cheers,
Paddy
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:05 am

rudd1028 wrote:....and another thing. Why on earth would you guys not want to make new friends with the noobs that come along?
My opinion is this place is majority of DJ'S. Not all,but, i'm guessing most. And the DJ'S that i've come across always have this "it's all about me" attitude.
You guys know what i'm talking about. That attitude really doesn't work in the long run.
So, make friends with us noobs, and i guarantee it would be for the best for all.
:? :?:
I believe I go out of my way to help noobs at all time, and to make friends by supplying helpful info.

Please refer to my above post, and show me where I've "hazed" a Noob.
Last edited by Pitch Black on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:15 am

Pitch Black wrote:
rudd1028 wrote:....and another thing. Why on earth would you guys not want to make new friends with the noobs that come along?
My opinion is this place is majority of DJ'S. Not all,but, i'm guessing most. And the DJ'S that i've come across always have this "it's all about me" attitude.
You guys know what i'm talking about. That attitude really doesn't work in the long run.
So, make friends with us noobs, and i guarantee it would be for the best for all.
:? :?:
I believe I go out of my way to help noobs at all time, and to make friends by supplying helpful info.

Please refer to my above post, and show me where I've "hazed" a Noob.
I'm amazed you let the DJ comment stand Paddy! ;-) :lol:

@rudd1028 - I think maybe you misunderstood the tone of my post at least…. I was just giving my take on why things have changed… My point was more about the fact that as the company grows it's probably unreasonable to expect the forum to carry on moderating itself…

when Ableton was a small niche company it was completely unmoderated to the extent you didn't even have to log in to post, so people could literally say anything they liked, but the user base was small enough that it wasn't much of a problem

over time actually spam bots have probably had more to do with a lot of changes

but I think Ableton has just got too big to let it stay totally unmoderated - there's a whole side of the company devoted to education now, which means schools as well as private training - you don't want to exclude anyone just because it's not appropriate to recommend the forum to kids - or whatever - there are just too many people using the program now to leave the forum unmoderated

anyway, that's just my opinion. I've never been in favour of heavy moderation, and a lot of the heavily moderated forums are very boring, but I think it gets to a point where they have to be a bit more professional about it, and sadly that means moderation.

Having said that, I still think they are very lenient.
Last edited by alex.the.forge on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:18 am

rudd1028 wrote:My opinion is this place is majority of DJ'S. Not all,but, i'm guessing most. And the DJ'S that i've come across always have this "it's all about me" attitude.
You guys know what i'm talking about.
You might find that the folks who hang out mostly in The Lounge don't fit that demographic.

rudd1028 wrote:Okay, the OP or anyone else having problems with the forums here,
CALL OUT THE PROBLEMS. Who? What's there username? me?
Why beat around the bush?
Just like you guys call out ABLETON on their software problems,call out the problems BY NAME here.

CLEAN HOUSE. make it known.

The noob part was just silly shit Rave was talking about. The company is getting bigger and so more people are coming on and asking questions that many here have answered countless times throughout the years and so they're getting annoyed with the "noobs." I doubt there's any one person somebody here would point out.

But the real reason the "vets" are grumbling these days is that this place has a long history of being pretty anarchic by most forum standards. Now it's changing and it's, well… lame.
Unsound Designer

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:33 am

@paddy - Actually I find your posts extremely confusing. Your signature for instance, it has some guy with pink hair holding a see-thru laptop screen. I mean, that just doesn't make sense. Instead of helping me find the answers to my most important questions, I find it just confusing and distracting. What kind of laptop is that? Is he hold it or projected from it? Is his hair pink, or is the flux vortex causes by said transparent laptop being light in just a certain angle to make it appear so? Very confusing!

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:44 am

Rudd - Why would we call you out? You're a noob, we don't know you. By and large most people here, even the controversial ones or trolls, are willing to help, even if they dish out a few RTFMs along the way. We all had the odd bitchslap as a noob for asking a question some deem 'stupid' or 'RTFM' and we've all been directed to the Search function as a noob, don't take it personally. You will get a lot more good advice than bitchslaps if you hang around.

You're equally in no position to judge people on the forum or call for a housecleaning when you've been here for 5 minutes.

As for everyone else - this is still the most lenient DAW software forum I've ever seen, so maybe we're making a mountain out of a mole hill here? Whatever.

Paddy - a rare breed of true forum gent, if you got a problem with him, then you really have a problem and should seek counselling :lol:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:49 am

leedsquietman wrote:As for everyone else - this is still the most lenient DAW software forum I've ever seen, so maybe we're making a mountain out of a mole hill here? Whatever.
It's true.
Unsound Designer

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:02 am

This is the best you got ?

It's an observation based on my own listening choices. YMMV. Much of the new music is from noobs and if I don't like it then it validates the statement. I don't see you reviewing much music in that forum - I have reviewed plenty of tracks in that forum from noobs and old timers.

Now quit feeling sorry for yourself.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:33 am

rudd1028 wrote:
leedsquietman wrote: Personally, I only think the Link Your Music section is suffering from noob overload and they soon realize that no-one visits the Link Your Music section so bugger off, except to post 'which vst / monitors / headphones' should I buy threads.
Suffering from noob overload?
And why is that?Because you old timers don't share your music there.NOt the noobs fault once again.
@Rudd, thanks for clarifying your position. Apologies if I took your comment too personally.

I think saying "you guys" and "you old timers" and "you noobs" puts a kinda unnecessary us-and-them spin on the conversation... alludes to an imaginary divide which doesn't actually exist.

**"Land Of Hope And Glory" wheezes into life somewhere offstage**

Brothers, I have a dream! That each forum-ite will be judged by the content of his posts, not by his joining date.
That the DJ's and the bass players shall git down together. That we shall be loved passionately, yet tenderly, by ChiDJ in His Infinite Polyamorous Wisdom. That the fruits of Schonhauser Allee shall be enjoyed by all, and that each may follow his or her freaky muse in perfect harmon-eee(TM), and with automation in Session View.

Ableton Alu Akhbar!

Here endeth the Rant.

:D

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:42 am

it just works.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:50 am

stringtapper wrote: The noob part was just silly shit Rave was talking about. The company is getting bigger and so more people are coming on and asking questions that many here have answered countless times throughout the years and so they're getting annoyed with the "noobs." I doubt there's any one person somebody here would point out.

But the real reason the "vets" are grumbling these days is that this place has a long history of being pretty anarchic by most forum standards. Now it's changing and it's, well… lame.
I am here since 2003 and I have absolutely no problem with noob osts. I also have fun to explain someone how to render his project for the 1000th time. I am mostly killing time at my boring dayjob at the office here.

But I am getting really annoyed by some of the people (mostly veteran, but not as veteran as myself, HA!) that troll around here. Please go away to Nebulae's forum and insult mankind/each other or post funny tits and dicks if you feel like it. But leave us alone with your bullshit.

If you have some dubstep, post it here. If you discuss fat women, do it at Neb's house. As easy as that.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:31 am

:lol:

It's just a case of sentimentality. Hey, I pine for 1984 but guess what? It ain't coming back.

I believe that with moderation The Lounge will essentially die but on the other hand I am finding it a great place to post your new tracks.