dum, report in please. dum, report.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
alex.the.forge

Re: dum, report in please. dum, report.

Post by alex.the.forge » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:05 am

nah bollocks…. Ableton still don't want their forum to get sterile, and they are still way more lenient than most.

All they are doing is getting a handle on the moronic drivel that started to take over…. I can't see how anyone could even try and argue things haven't changed over the last year… I'm certainly not the only person that thinks that.

in fact I think the lounge was a mistake, when it was just general I think there might have been some kind of unspoken vague sense of maybe not straying too far, but since the lounge it got all fart jokes, mac slogans and insults

it's not about sensitive musicians not being able to take it, it's about a lot of the good regulars leaving in droves because it became a total fucking waste of time to come here

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:33 am

I dunno but I'm guessing the crux here in 'da Lounge' is that people get off on different things, and
when you put them in a lounge (a place for relaxing) together maybe the last thing they do is relax.
you're sitting in your booth relaxing talking about the kind of converse jesus wore and the cats in the booth behind you are doin heroin and telling black jokes, while the cats across the room hate you cause they saw the george w bush button on your jacket, all this while you're trying to explain to the dude across the table in front of you that what happens in your country is not the distraction that allows war, but that war is the distraction that allows your freedoms to be usurped in your country
and all of this is going on while some nerds are trying to give a seminar on why a lack of civility equates to being cool.
what it all comes down to imho is that everybodys different and thats cool but if all of us were over at the house of one of us in that persons lounge area we'd consider all of these things and try to respect one another more, where as here over at abletons house, in the lounge they set up for us to lounge in for some reason we feel like it's ok to drop the respect..... whateva.. some people just get off on different things.

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:46 am

Well I personally wish dum wasn't banned because I hadn't yet been pwned by him, as it appears that this has been a right of passage around here. I was coyly planning my "I hooked a big one, how do I respond to dum for the first time ever?" thread but could not master the troll/troll bait thing in time. Such a delicate balance. i did spend a lot (too much?) time doing the background research, reading the old flame wars, and must say that I was fascinated by the persona that is/was dum/bounce/whatever. I spend some time on a very different blog (non-music related) and am convinced that there is one of these types in every internet community. Hopefully I'll get a book out on all this before dum publishes his memoir, it's all about first to press...
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:26 am

alex.the.forge wrote: it's about a lot of the good regulars leaving in droves because it became a total fucking waste of time to come here
Good riddance?
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:31 am

alex.the.forge wrote: I can't see how anyone could even try and argue things haven't changed over the last year… I'm certainly not the only person that thinks that.

With the exception of the Lounge, the entire fucking forum has utterly and completely been cleaned up. omfg.

It's like motherfucking Disneyland out there.

Well. With the exception of the fact that they seem to tolerate that fucking douchebag 3phase and his vitrolic tirades against Ableton.

I'm done trying to talk sense into you.

Kill yourself now you fucking sensitive artist mong.

:lol:

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:40 am

Machinesworking wrote: The Iraq war is/was a great example of this on these forums, plenty of people were all for preemptive strikes until a couple years passed and it was obvious the US government hadn't a clue as to what they were doing in Iraq and had pretty much lied to the public about it. Thing is nobody was consistently against it here except dum and me, that is, and will be the one thing me and dum had in common.
I haven't read through the entire thread, but I just wanted to point out that the underlined part is definitely quite a bit of a stretch. I, for one, have been consistently against it and have expressed as much numerous times over the years. I used to go pages and pages debating with Monty Breaks before he became a mercenary and left the board for Afghanistan and high hopes for an eventual fast track into a career with the CSIS.... bless his heart, wherever he may be.

I also wanted to say that for my part I never had any problems with dum. Even when he challenged my motives in my 'clean time' thread I did not take any offense, in fact I welcomed and appreciated the discourse.

I've taken some time off from this board here and there and have been told that dum has delivered some 'low blows' to various people. This is definitely unfortunate. I'm not trying to defend that at all, but not having witnessed it and not having experienced it myself I really can't judge him for it.

He definitely could get vicious with people, but there was definitely a select group that seemed to ride his nuts and bait him regardless of whether he was behaving himself or not.

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:44 am

pulsoc wrote:wait, who was Dum before Dum??

Or did this get addressed already in my how many trolls thread?

The internet is so confusing.

Dum, dum-dum-dum
the b0unce vs landrvr1( i think thats what his name was ) were epic and what got them banned in the first place since ive been here
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:51 am

smutek wrote: He definitely could get vicious with people, but there was definitely a select group that seemed to ride his nuts and bait him regardless of whether he was behaving himself or not.
Bingo! and yeah I admit I forgot about your input into political debates, but you were one of the few other people who were consistent when it came to Iraq, most people had mixed feelings about it.

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:11 am

Machinesworking wrote:
macmurphy wrote: give me a break, you're being ridiculous. i am not defending calls to ban someone as a joke, clever or otherwise (which btw it wasn't - it was a throwaway comment.)

if i was banned for suggesting that someone be banned for boring me (which we both know will not happen) then fine , it would just show up this forum as a very uptight place.
The hypothetical situation is simple, and you're flummoxing it right up.
Again, if you called to have someone banned as a joke, but it resulted in that person getting banned (not you, don't have a clue where you got that from?), would you be upset?
My contention is simple, I don't think you would, and if you would, are you thinking about the consequences of your actions? because from what I can tell David has no sense of irony at all. How that can be construed as you getting banned I'm not sure? And no, there is no guarantee that eventually they won't ban people like 3phase, he's been publicly admonished on these forums before.
My original comment wasn't even made with any emotional attachment whatsoever, I'm not a 3phase fan, but I have no doubt that people who publicly attack other users even as a joke wouldn't be upset if the attention they drew to that user resulted in a ban, and I stand by that belief.
i see where you're coming from now, my apologies! :oops: i really can be dense sometimes... :( :oops:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:24 am

macmurphy wrote: i see where you're coming from now, my apologies! :oops: i really can be dense sometimes... :( :oops:
No worries, your music is pretty freaking cool btw! Persephone stood out while I was listening and doing other things. See? arguing with me about semantics got your tracks listened to. 8)

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:04 am

H20nly wrote:you can call blue green and green blue if you want. I may not be Batman and he may not be Joker, but you're Fullofshit. i've seen my fair share of lies and half truths on this forum, but...
Machinesworking wrote:you jumped in any time he posted whether the conversation was civil or not
...is just plain wrong. feel free to dig through all his posts and threads to prove your point... you can't, but feel free to waste your time trying. with the exception of his broken logicboard thread what you will find are many examples where he was already reaming one person/nation or another being his typical cockmaster self before i jumped in and called him on it, then we go tit for tat. rinse. change thread.... repeat...
Don't have to do any such searching, you pull up the most blatant example for me, thanks. Piety is an unsavory emotional state IMO, and you're dead guilty of it in regards to your chosen "enemies". Why bother looking for other examples? that one alone was as lame as it got. Refer to LSZ and dum for entertaining and fun ways to deal with contempt/rivalry in that thread and LSZ's subsequent sad computer thread. Seriously, I would never ban either of them just for the humor in those two threads, you on the other hand were a pest in every sense of the word, and contributed nothing but bile. Plenty of hardware threads where dum was debating, not arguing or getting ugly, but just debating someone, were muddied up with your spats with dum.
Again, I'm not saying dum didn't have a temper, or didn't go ballistic over trivial shit, I'm saying YOU acted a fool all over this forum in response, which did nothing but elevate the level of drama without any real results, just gas. That is the prize you get, the drama mamma prize. :wink:

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:52 am

Machinesworking wrote:
macmurphy wrote: i see where you're coming from now, my apologies! :oops: i really can be dense sometimes... :( :oops:
No worries, your music is pretty freaking cool btw! Persephone stood out while I was listening and doing other things. See? arguing with me about semantics got your tracks listened to. 8)
cheers mate :wink:

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:50 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:
Cryptic UK wrote:Has dum been banned or something? what happened??

No. This is all a dream. Go back to bed. :x :x :x
Yeah, it's just that i don't read posts from people that have nothing to say, so I think may have missed about 95% of the info in here.
Drums

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:18 pm

The meme thread that dum started entitled The main difference between europe and the usa was epic and award winning. 46 pages. We laughed. We cried.

*sniffle*

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... travellers

:x

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:26 pm

So the only heated debates we now have on here are about people who have heated debates.

Thanks Ableton. :x :x :x