iPad Now the Most Versatile Instrument. Ever.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
LoopStationZebra

iPad Now the Most Versatile Instrument. Ever.

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:29 am

A little thing happened recently.

iOS 4.2 was released and it brought something to the iPad that is going to change everything.

Again.

Midi clock sync.

It's a feature that has completely flown under the radar; I've still not found a single electronic music site that has reported the addition. Odd, considering that it's now made the iPad the most versatile instrument ever.

There's been some wicked cool music apps for the iPad. Generative, organic synths. beatboxes like the iElectribe. Some way, way WAY cool standard synths. Some great sequencers.

But until now any sort of true DAW integration has been little more than a pipe dream. With true MIDI clock sync, you should now be able to connect your iPad via the External Instrument plug, get that thing MIDI sync'd, and finally use your iElectribe as an instrument WITH Live.

Now that iOS 4.2 has also brought us multi-tasking, we can also be running something like touchAble right alongside whatever app instrument we've got going.

My God.

Do you know how fucking COOL this is, people? Do you? DO YOU?

I'm weeping right now. WEEPING.

:x

Oh, here we go. Clock sync both ways with the iPad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tE6-bjSQKE&sns=fb

*WEEPING*
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

oblique strategies

Re: iPad Now the Most Versatile Instrument. Ever.

Post by oblique strategies » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:12 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:connect your iPad via the External Instrument plug
The setup in the video link uses the Apple Camera Connection adapter - is this what you are referring to?

SAUKmusic

Post by SAUKmusic » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:24 am

I'm looking forward to more info on this, as I am considering an Ipad ATM

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:15 am

More info would be nice...I'd like to know how users are doing using MIDI via the Apple camera connection kit

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:04 pm

oblique strategies wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:connect your iPad via the External Instrument plug
The setup in the video link uses the Apple Camera Connection adapter - is this what you are referring to?

In part, yes. The camera connection kit is merely the means. The iPad (or, more likely, the app itself) would appear in your MIDI list of control surfaces under input and output. Just like with a synth, you drop an external instrument plug into a MIDI track, then select your proper port in MIDI FROM. In the plug itself, set the MIDI TO.

Run an audio cable from the iPad into your soundcard. In the external instrument plug, select your appropriate audio input. In the MIDI track, select your desired audio output.

The exact specifics are somewhat of a mystery. The MIDI mobilizer from Line6 isn't being used in that demo. I've read that it's up to the developers to make sure MIDI can be sent via the camera connection kit. Looks in that vid like he's then plugging into an adaptor in order to get the standard MIDI pin connection? *Shrug*

THIS IS HUGE.

Nice little generative program's like Eno's Bloom have been little more than something to play with whilst taking a shit. Now, if they changed the app around a bit, it could be fully MIDI compatible and send/receive a clock whereby you can set a bpm. Bloom becomes a true, viable instrument that could nest nicely within your Live set.

Again. HUGE. Think of all the apps out there that have been released. A lot of shit, but some fucking way cool stuff that - thus far - have been pretty much unusable in any sort of serious audio recording/performance situation.

HUGE

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:26 pm

I :x S 4.2

This changes everything again, again.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:26 pm

djsynchro wrote:I :x S 4.2

This changes everything again, again.
and again

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:15 am

Oh, the only article I've seen thus far.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2010/ ... an-x0xb0x/

:x
did you know that, for the price of a cup of coffee, you can feed a starving child in africa?
:lol:

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:19 am

Me & good friend/musical partner cannot get over whats happening here 8)

This will revolutionary the future of computer music production.

All hail CoreMIDI !!!

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:35 pm

That's the spirit, squelcht!

Meanwhile, the other 99% of Live users will continue to pay $$$ for bulky hardware they don't need; whilst those of us in The Know will be basking in a virtually unlimited number of inexpensive synths, controllers, and all around magic. All for the price of a cup of coffee! With more being released almost daily!

:P

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:04 pm

I also think this will change the way software developers approach VST/AU/RMAS format. Will iOS soon be recognized as an alternative plugin method? So many questions - So little patience. We wants the wurld & we wants it NOW DAMMIT :twisted: I was envisioning a synth "docking station - The iPad can slide into a little plastic style docking stations with either 25, 37 & 49 key options. (Just as Akai did with their iPhone controller) Hell even make em where they can hold two :D Big companies such as Moog, Korg, etc. could cash in on this concept & offer the docking station + a long developed badass iOS synth.

But the docking station would already have MIDI in/out/thru & USB built onto the unit. I suppose Apple should & probably will release a hub like this soon. Instead of buying a "camera connection kit" plus a ghetto USB to Midi hub they will offer a LEGIT piece of over priced plastic fKn THING that JUST FKN WORKS :twisted:

Why there is not a cheap ass plastic MiniMOOG ipad synth docking station controller thingy available for retail purchase beats the FAWK outta me.

PS - This controller is patent pending. All rights reserved. Please don't steal my idea...Unless you give them to me for free....With an iPad...And...A high five.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:30 pm

Won't matter cause we all know Live's MIDI sync is fucked. But as somebody who only uses software currently I will now get to experience this POS issue for the very first time. Thanks Apple!

BTW, new Gorillaz album recorded on an iPad will be available for free download on Christmas.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:39 pm

If it helps, I used to run a Prophet08 fully slaved to Live's clock with absolutely zero problems.

I'll never be convinced otherwise that problems with a simple hardware synth sync is always the fault of the user and/or hardware. It's either going to be an old synth/drum machine with dodgy MIDI capability in the first place (or gerry rig'd after the fact God Forbid), users who have no fucking clue how to set up basic MIDI, or way too much shit hooked together in horrid methods (see: users with no fucking clue).

Post after post I've read on this issue all read something like this:
Hi. What's up with Live's bullshit MIDI sync? I've got 438 synths (half of which were pre-MIDI but have a great new MIDI interface that my friend constructed out of model airplane parts) all daisy chained and running through my 1st gen M-Audio soundcard. Nothing is sync'd. Fuck you, Ableton.
:lol:

Oh, and let's not forget that it's never a Mac user that's got the problems. So add SHIT PC MIDI/AUDIO CAPABILITIES to the list.

:P

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:03 pm

beats me wrote:we all know Live's MIDI sync is fucked.
8O since when ??? wtf Ableton - seriously WTF !

what a n00b daw - i am outta here. no wait.

Digital_Damage

Post by Digital_Damage » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:26 pm

Useless gimmick, instrument response is critical to musicians (actual musicians). Touch screens will never provide that.