iPad Now the Most Versatile Instrument. Ever.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: iPad Now the Most Versatile Instrument. Ever.

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:42 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote:Jordan Rudess is one of the best keyboardists of our time but every video I've seen of his app sounds like the background track to the science videos I used to fall asleep to in high school. And it's really ass ugly. But also around the time it came out I made the decision I didn't need to own every synth app out there just because I can and while his layout is innovative I really don't see that alone bringing some next level shit to my music.

I think the real fun is going to happen when the next gen iPad comes out and of course I'll get one and hopefully by then there'll be a way to MIDI sync 2 iPads together.

Disagree, bro.

1. I dig the sounds. Immensely. I don't think 9th grade science videos. I think of the killer Theremin soundtracks from 1950s scifi movies. Run that motherfucking app through CamelSpace or any number of other AUs/VSTs and you've got a powerhouse of sound.

2. The swirling space shit is annoying, but I've seen a shitload of non-conventional music apps out there and the interfaces are all WRETCHED on one or many levels. They're usually based on some quasi-organic symbolism - like a series of cells or amoebas, or even worse, molecule chains - in which moving the molecule across the screen will generate a sound or connection the molecules via a thin line of protoplasm will generate a sound or God knows what else. There's little or no actually musical reference point at all. I get that they are supposed to be non-conventional in nature, but c'mon. wtf? What's cool about Morphwiz is that it's got some sort of foundation in terms of a scalable instrument reference.

And nevermind syncing two iPads together via MIDI. How's about syncing two or more apps you are running onboard one ipad via CoreMIDI? 8O With multitasking, the need for 2 or more iPads has been reduced considerably. You may be able to do multiapp MIDI sync now:

We'd know this, if only createdigitalmusic.com would stop posting WORTHLESS SHIT STORIES about some douche who's created his own digital pocket sweep filter out of paper clips and duct tape, and start focusing on the future of digital music: the iPad. :P

:x

Well I personally have very little interest in playable scifi drones or 70's progressive rock lead sounds, which is what the thing sounds like to me. Maybe if it was one of the first synth apps instead of like the 74th I might be more excited.

What we really need is the ability to AirPlay all music apps to Apple TV (or iTunes damnit :x) simultaneously with low latency and a mixer on the Apple TV (or iTunes damnit :x ) for level mixing and EQ purposes. Obviously the iTunes (damnit :x ) solution would be the best option as there's way more people with iTunes available at there home, studio, or gig than Apple TVs

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:36 pm

beats me wrote: I personally have very little interest in playable scifi drones or 70's progressive rock lead sounds

MISTAKE

I've just had a quick listen again to your Enrapture stuff and that instrument would fit in beautifully.

:x :x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:08 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote: I personally have very little interest in playable scifi drones or 70's progressive rock lead sounds

MISTAKE

I've just had a quick listen again to your Enrapture stuff and that instrument would fit in beautifully.

:x :x

But that was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back then as opposed to my more recent stuff which is only waaaaaaaaaaaaay back then. :)

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:21 pm

:lol:

------

Note to Self:
Buy a Line Out dock cable for my iPad because, of course, using the standard headphone jack to run audio to my MOTU is
COMPLETE FUCKING SHIT

SHIT
SHIT
SHIT
SHIT

http://www.cablejive.com/products/Line- ... Cable.html

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:32 pm

iPad
$499

or

Lemur
$1500
+
Amazon Kindle
$139
=
$1639

I mean, you've already SAVED money - and that's not even getting into all the other apps.

Note: That fucking Lemur is still the most butt ugly piece of kit I've ever seen in my life. It reminds me of those early giant digital signing screens at the grocery store. The ones that were as big as a breadbox. Would be nice if Lemur did something more streamlined before they go under. :P

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:58 pm

I like reading my Lemur manual on my iPad.
Unsound Designer

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:36 am

Okay, well. An audio dock cable option is out of the question because, er, how the fuck am I going to use a MIDI cable? :x

The good news is that I ran my iPad into one of the Mic inputs on the MOTU, adjusted the trim a bit, and that seems to have helped with the distortion. We'll see.

There's shockingly little info to go by out there in interwebs land in terms of what people are doing to connect their iDevices to amps.

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:11 pm

Meh.
Don't care about all this expensive and easy-to-break-hard-to-fix touchscreen stuff. I like the feel of faders and buttons.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:25 pm

MPGK wrote:Meh.
Don't care about all this expensive and easy-to-break-hard-to-fix touchscreen stuff. I like the feel of faders and buttons.
The base model iPad is $500 and as far as music related apps is no different than higher priced iPads. After that all music related apps are cheap as chips (whatever that phrase means).

I know that the job market is rough right now, but if that's seen as a huge expense to you then maybe you should start pursuing a career advancement path.

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:11 pm

beats me wrote:
The base model iPad is $500 and as far as music related apps is no different than higher priced iPads. After that all music related apps are cheap as chips (whatever that phrase means).

I know that the job market is rough right now, but if that's seen as a huge expense to you then maybe you should start pursuing a career advancement path.
For a musician I'm doing okay, thanks for asking. :P
Still: an iPad would be an expensive toy for me, nothing more. Touchy controllers are not apt for rugged live "work", and for the studio they're not as precise and convenient as real knobs and faders (yet?). Just wanted to express my personal opinion, don't get all worked up about it.
Last edited by MPGK on Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:21 pm

MPGK wrote:
beats me wrote:

For someone who earns his money with music only I'm doing okay, thanks for asking. :P
Still: an iPad would be an expensive toy for me, nothing more. Touchy controllers are not apt for rugged live "work", and for the studio they're not as precise and convenient as real knobs and faders (yet?). Just wanted to express my personal opinion, don't get all worked up about it.

Personal preferences respected. But referring to it as a "toy" could be offensive to those who see it as a serious professional option that would work for them, especially when there's no shortage of people calling anything made by Apple an expensive toy. It's sometimes hard to remember exactly who is always in that camp and that always nullifies whatever argument they're trying to make.

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:28 pm

beats me wrote:Personal preferences respected. But referring to it as a "toy" could be offensive to those who see it as a serious professional option that would work for them, especially when there's no shortage of people calling anything made by Apple an expensive toy. It's sometimes hard to remember exactly who is always in that camp and that always nullifies whatever argument they're trying to make.
Nah, I'm not one of those guys. I'm on a MBP, but I'm no Apple fanboy either. I just want to make music, and GAS sometimes gets in the way. Maybe I'm just trying to protect myself and others by calling it a toy. ;)

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:36 pm

It's not a toy.

IT'S A WAY OF FUCKING LIFE.

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:41 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:It's not a toy.

IT'S A WAY OF FUCKING LIFE.
...no it's not.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:04 pm

MPGK wrote: Touchy controllers are not apt for rugged live "work"

And this is based on the countless number of road hours you've logged with a Lemur or iPad?

Kill yourself.