What does "Indie Music" mean to you?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
rbro

What does "Indie Music" mean to you?

Post by rbro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:13 pm

I'm trying to come up with a domain name for a website I'm working on for musicians who create, produce, market and sell their own stuff and I keep coming back to the term "indie" Like indie music, or indie musicians etc. But for some reason Indie seems to imply a genre or sub-set of genres as well, almost like "alternative music." Am I wrong? Is the term "Indie Music" not tied to any genre? Can you think of a better term for what I'm trying to describe?

ollyb303

Re: What does "Indie Music" mean to you?

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:26 pm

Indie certainly implies a genre to me. I believe the term indie came about through independent artists releasing on independent labels, but came to represent a genre of music, much of which has been released, ironically, on major labels...

I'm struggling to think of a better term for you...
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

intergalactic pedantic

Post by intergalactic pedantic » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:29 pm

D.I.Y.

tadpole fingers

Post by tadpole fingers » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:40 pm

Independent Artists

OR

Independent Musicians

OR

Independent ______

Indie music may have taken the word Indie from you but lucky for you thats just a lazy way of saying Independent, which is still a fresh word as far as I can tell.

rbro

Post by rbro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:47 pm

tadpole fingers wrote:Independent Artists

OR

Independent Musicians

OR

Independent ______

Indie music may have taken the word Indie from you but lucky for you thats just a lazy way of saying Independent, which is still a fresh word as far as I can tell.
You're saying Independent is still a fresh word? So "Independent Musician" connotes something different than "Indie Musician?" (even though technically indie is just short for independent) I suppose an "Independent Artist" could be someone OTHER than a musician....hmmmm...Independent Musician may be the best fit.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:51 pm

Independent music now means the labels spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce a sound that sounds like they didn't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars producing it. Ironic much?

rbro

Post by rbro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:44 pm

beats me wrote:Independent music now means the labels spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce a sound that sounds like they didn't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars producing it. Ironic much?
It is ridiculous. But to my mind, the term Independent Music seems less tied to any one genre than the term Indie Music.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:12 pm

it means it's from india

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:14 pm

I like indie currie but the next day on the toilet ooohhhhh ==>> :x

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:57 pm

Having worked for a major record retailer back in the day, the definition of indie was a smaller record label which was not distributed by a major label (i.e. sony bmg, universal, emi, wea etc).

An example would be Indolent records, home to The Wannadies, 60 foot dolls, Sleeper etc, who were distributed by Vital, which was a distribution company independent from the big major playas.

For a lot of people it means kind of college/alternative rock, even though quite a bit of that stuff was released or distributed by major labels - Creation records for example, home to ride, slowdive, my bloody valentine, oasis etc was part owned by sony records. However, they were still classed as indie because they used Pinnacle and Vital to distribute instead of Sony BMG to get around that loophole.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:05 am

excellent explanation, Leeds. :)

Poop_Smear

Post by Poop_Smear » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:21 am

For me, "Indie Music" evokes an image of disposable mediocre McTunes made mostly by smelly unemployed marginally talented Gen-Y or Gen-X "artistes" with cheap retail grade sound gear. Basically, this shit is made by faux-musicians with no formal musical training or real knowledge of music theory who make up the ubiquitous masses of lazy morons too lethargic to get a real job and who like to get high and hang out at Starbucks to siphon off the free Wi-Fi. The REAL labels probably fill several trash barrels each day with the crap "demos" they receive from these cretins. Oh yeah...you'll also find Indie Musicians frequently hanging out in the keyboards section of the local Guitar Center banging on the Korgs...you can't miss them...just look for the crappy haircuts and stinky Birkenstocks. :lol:
Uncle Meat

rbro

Post by rbro » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:23 am

Poop_Smear wrote:For me, "Indie Music" evokes an image of disposable mediocre McTunes made mostly by smelly unemployed marginally talented Gen-Y or Gen-X "artistes" with cheap retail grade sound gear. Basically, this shit is made by faux-musicians with no formal musical training or real knowledge of music theory who make up the ubiquitous masses of lazy morons too lethargic to get a real job and who like to get high and hang out at Starbucks to siphon off the free Wi-Fi. The REAL labels probably fill several trash barrels each day with the crap "demos" they receive from these cretins. Oh yeah...you'll also find Indie Musicians frequently hanging out in the keyboards section of the local Guitar Center banging on the Korgs...you can't miss them...just look for the crappy haircuts and stinky Birkenstocks. :lol:
Stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel :)

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:54 pm

When I hear 'Indie' I immediately think of labels like Rough Trade from the 80's and the NME Independent Charts.

Back then you'd have some pretty off-the-wall / hardcore acts in the same Indi charts as main chart topping Depeche Mode (and others) just because they're label was independent (Mute in this case)

Back then you couldn't get records out without using the Indi's (Our band used the label Spiderleg Head Records which was just part of rough trade as was Mute)

These days I suppose Indi as a genre is a reflection of those early days of DIY music/art.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:41 pm

Poop_Smear wrote:For me, "Indie Music" evokes an image of disposable mediocre McTunes made mostly by smelly unemployed marginally talented Gen-Y or Gen-X "artistes" with cheap retail grade sound gear. Basically, this shit is made by faux-musicians with no formal musical training or real knowledge of music theory who make up the ubiquitous masses of lazy morons too lethargic to get a real job and who like to get high and hang out at Starbucks to siphon off the free Wi-Fi. The REAL labels probably fill several trash barrels each day with the crap "demos" they receive from these cretins. Oh yeah...you'll also find Indie Musicians frequently hanging out in the keyboards section of the local Guitar Center banging on the Korgs...you can't miss them...just look for the crappy haircuts and stinky Birkenstocks. :lol:
My explanation was better.