iPad MIDI. The Definitive Report.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
ollyb303

Re: iPad MIDI. The Definitive Report.

Post by ollyb303 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:23 pm

TL;DR
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:35 pm

ollyb303 wrote:TL;DR

:x

I'll give you the cliff notes then.

MIDI for the iPad is still :x

But at least there ARE apps for the iPad.

:P
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Blue Monster 65

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:50 am

Sorry 'bout that! New here and didn't find it when I looked.

You're right, but I'm wondering if it's the synth guys or Apple who are dragging their feet? And now will they start to figure it out? If not, the whole damn thing is going to leave them in the dust. Just wanna shake 'em and scream, "WAKE UP!!!"

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:16 am

It's the synth and drum machine and controller app developers, all the way. CoreMIDI is fully functional.

Steve Jobs, Apple, and GOD have done their bit with this stupendous device and MIDI capability.

Now it's the devs time to step up to the plate and be MEN FFS.

:lol:

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:10 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:
ollyb303 wrote:TL;DR

I'll give you the cliff notes then.

MIDI for the iPad is still :x

But at least there ARE apps for the iPad.

:P
Cheers geezer
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:28 pm

ollyb303 wrote:Cheers geezer

I'm. Here. To. Serve.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:36 pm

I'm engaged in an ongoing debate with Peter Kirn over at createdigitalmusic.com with respect to MIDI and iDevices.

You can check out the latest engagement here in the comments section:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/01/t ... nyc-event/

Peter is, as ever, a good sport but I'm getting more bewildered as to why I'M the one who has to ask the developer's nicely to implement something that should be a no-brainer. Why isn't HE asking these guys and reporting the findings?

"Hey, developer dudes. Where's the clock sync?" Is that so hard? lol. :x

To move things along and show that I'm not just a whiny little bitch who doesn't want to help, I've asked Peter from One Red Dog - the creator of the Molten app - to provide some insight as to why the state of MIDI for iDevices is still rather pathetic. (Molten remains, nearly 3 months after the release of CoreMIDI IOS4, the only app to provide full MIDI functionality). Here's the thread I started on his site:

http://www.onereddog.com.au/forums/view ... p?f=2&t=14

Fingers crossed we get some good insight.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Will read through your comments after work...I'd love to hear straight from the horses's mouth on the issues happening.

Maybe once the iPad2 comes out ALLLL the troublesome woes will go away ^_^

Yeah right...

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Peter Johnson, creator of Molten, has indeed been kind enough to respond to my MIDI questions in his forum. He's also added comments over at createdigitalmusic if anyone cares to check those out. Some interesting insight.

http://www.onereddog.com.au/forums/view ... p?f=2&t=14

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/01/t ... nt-1213989

The thing I take away the most from his responses is that there is no real music app developer forum out there; just various places you can go to, but no central hub if you will. Shame, really. Because the number of music app devs isn't shrinking. I guess, like full MIDI in apps, it's only a matter of time...

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:The thing I take away the most from his responses is that there is no real music app developer forum out there; just various places you can go to, but no central hub if you will. Shame, really. Because the number of music app devs isn't shrinking. I guess, like full MIDI in apps, it's only a matter of time...
I think it comes down to developers not really giving a crap and are more interested in rushing their shiny music app into the iTunes store to watch the tens of dollars come rushing in.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:40 pm

beats me wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:The thing I take away the most from his responses is that there is no real music app developer forum out there; just various places you can go to, but no central hub if you will. Shame, really. Because the number of music app devs isn't shrinking. I guess, like full MIDI in apps, it's only a matter of time...
I think it comes down to developers not really giving a crap and are more interested in rushing their shiny music app into the iTunes store to watch the tens of dollars come rushing in.

I'm glad you said that and not me because, at this point, coming from me it would just sound like the whinings of a bitter Old Queen.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:14 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote:

I'm glad you said that and not me because, at this point, coming from me it would just sound like the whinings of a bitter Old Queen.

Well it's the damn truth. Not even corporations like Korg seem to give a shit.

Hopefully the release of the Alesis dock (and you personally purchasing the first batch of 500 to simulate interest) will help inspire developers to implement MIDI when they see videos of PROS using their competitor's apps and when wondering why the answer will always be "because you didn't implement MIDI, you blunder cunt!" :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm also going to blame "clever" (annoying) videos like this for developers lagging on full MIDI implementation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8trXode5Z4

"See, you don't need a computer! Just gather your friends with their idevices and jam!" It's the goddamn drum circle of the 21st century. :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:03 pm

I hate to say it, but I'm rapidly coming to a point when I'm just going to give up on iPad MIDI for awhile. With the exception of a tiny handful of cats who post in the comments section over at createdigitalmusic, nobody gives a shit or is into this stuff yet. I've been ranting like hell about this stuff, but more and more I'm feeling like Rupert Pupkin.

Monologuing away in my mum's basement to an imaginary audience, lol. I even went out and bought a snazzy jacket and tie like that. :lol:

Last night I tried to get MIDI IN working on the NLogSynthPro app, but it just wouldn't go. I've had it working in the past since his update, but I started getting bizarre MIDI feedback/overlapping of notes in my clip during MIDI out tests. Jebus. :x MIDI Monitor app for the iPad indicates I've got signal, but... :x Then, when NLogSynth just wouldn't cooperate, I quit that app and just started doing testing with MIDI Monitor. But everytime I hit the Play button in Ableton to start sending the MIDI from my clip, the fucking MIDI Monitor app would crash. :x Never done that before. :x So I shut everything down and said 'maybe tomorrow'.

So, a bit later this morning I'm going to fire it all up again and see how it does. If there's problems I'll post the issues and some screenshots or something and see if we can work it out. I don't want to make the same mistake I did with that KMI SoftStep pedal - getting way too pissed and impatient - so I'll give this an honest go. But just in general it's kinda like the devs themselves - not enough people are into this yet to have any sort of meaningful conversation and problem solving sessions.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:06 pm

You probably should take a break. At this point you're being like the lone economist in 2006 saying "the housing market is going to crash and take the rest of the economy with it!" which is met with "I bought a house (iPad synth)!"

Maybe just monitor the app updates and look for things like "improved/implemented MIDI support". Test it out and if it doesn't work or work reliably then just wait for another update and hope for the best.

In other news I fired up Live 8.2.1 the other night in an attempt to do some SERIOUS BUSINESS and I got to 1 instance of Kontakt and 3 instances of Ominsphere and it's a crashothon. Fuck you MIDI music! :x