I just don't know if I can bring myself to using loops....

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Styles Bitchly

I just don't know if I can bring myself to using loops....

Post by Styles Bitchly » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:56 pm

...ughh..they're soooo unprofessional and un-pure. It seems like music has becoms so trival, so trite...so disposable anymore. There's nothing memorable being created such as with the classics. I really do blame loops and looping mechanisms for a lot of this demise. Any nutjob with a laptop thinks they can become a "musician" anymore, and 99.73 % of the crap is just plain un-listenable.

Thoughts? :?

beats me

Re: I just don't know if I can bring myself to using loops....

Post by beats me » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:05 pm

Looping has revolutionized how people are able to write music and I think in a positive way for the most part. The problem is it's also a tool that easily lends itself to laziness.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:00 am

1. Define "the classics"

2. Every generation says "Music is going to shit and there's no originality/craftsmanship/masterworks anymore"

Go to any school of music or conservatory and you'll find plenty of people who think music went to shit long before what you're calling "the classics" came around.
Unsound Designer

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:34 am

Styles Bitchly wrote: Thoughts? :?
As always through history, theres a few interesting artists at any given period.
Check out Flying Lotus. A nice mix of loops and acoustic instruments from todays loop/controllerism movement.

If your see only loops and sqares arround you, might it be you hang around this very forum a wee bit to much? :D
After all, this is a looping application first and formost.

Mint Invader

Post by Mint Invader » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:09 am

Loops have to be used with a bit of... finesse.

I mean anyone can throw one in and it will sound... ok.

But your right, on its own it lends itself to be lazy. I usually just use drum loops and chop out the hits I want (Hihats and percs mostly)
Because Whatever.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:30 am

Styles Bitchly wrote:anymore
you keep using this word. i do not think it means what you think it means.

luddy

Post by luddy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:10 am

you can always make your own loops!

-Luddy

Bagatell

Post by Bagatell » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:48 am

beats me wrote:Looping has revolutionized how people are able to write music and I think in a positive way for the most part. The problem is it's also a tool that easily lends itself to laziness.

How is throwing a few loops together "writing music"? It might conceivably be considered "making music", but only in the way painting by numbers is making art.

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:13 am

stringtapper wrote:1. Define "the classics"

2. Every generation says "Music is going to shit and there's no originality/craftsmanship/masterworks anymore"

Go to any school of music or conservatory and you'll find plenty of people who think music went to shit long before what you're calling "the classics" came around.
yep.

Nothing wrong with "loops" - it's down to the skill of the producer to use them properly.

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:19 am

Are you talking about pre made loops or loops that you make yourself for a particular track?

I never use pre programmed loops - that would be somebody else's music not mine. But all music involves repetition and creating and layering loops is a perfectly good way to compose. The art is in getting the right balance between repetition and predictability versus change and novelty/surprise.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:05 pm

Bagatell wrote:
beats me wrote:Looping has revolutionized how people are able to write music and I think in a positive way for the most part. The problem is it's also a tool that easily lends itself to laziness.

How is throwing a few loops together "writing music"? It might conceivably be considered "making music", but only in the way painting by numbers is making art.
Look past the obvious. Assuming you are a home producer like most of us and "write" every part of your songs. If you're writing a 5 minute song are you really manually playing 5 minutes of every single track? I doubt it.

Also during the writing process it's extremely useful to be able to loop a section of a song to come up with more ideas.

Almost all music, if not all, is a collection of arranged repeating patterns...or loops.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:14 pm

I found myself acquiring many loop/sound libraries over the years - with magazines or stand-alone ones - and found that the more I acquired the less I used them because over the years I was getting better and better at making my own sounds, beats, melodies, etc. Now I find that it takes my 1/10 the time to make my own sound, rhythms, etc, than to try and find a loop that will convey what I want.

Of course, sometimes you do find a loop that inspires you in a particular direction, but I still prefer then to recreate it myself for more control in the production. I do differentiate between using library loops and sampling, though, where playing with the original sample is the whole point.

aisling

Post by aisling » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:00 pm

Da hand wrote:I found myself acquiring many loop/sound libraries over the years - with magazines or stand-alone ones - and found that the more I acquired the less I used them because over the years I was getting better and better at making my own sounds, beats, melodies, etc. Now I find that it takes my 1/10 the time to make my own sound, rhythms, etc, than to try and find a loop that will convey what I want.

Of course, sometimes you do find a loop that inspires you in a particular direction, but I still prefer then to recreate it myself for more control in the production. I do differentiate between using library loops and sampling, though, where playing with the original sample is the whole point.

nicely said!
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:23 pm

We all know that interesting debate can be had on this topic, but I did want to point out that the OP is a troll trolling.

Please carry on.