Mac App Store musings

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Mac App Store musings

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:50 pm

And of course I get the email announcing this as soon as I get to work so I can't investigate or play. :x

http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/
Last edited by beats me on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beats me

Re: Mac App Store up

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:52 pm

"Buy, download, and even redownload.

You can install apps on every Mac you use and even download them again. This is especially convenient when you buy a new Mac and want to load it with apps you already own."

Sweet. :)

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:34 pm

I shouldn't be astounded.

But I'm astounded.

I'm astounded that Apple is, once again, waaaaay out front of everybody on this.

:lol:

It's going to make Apple another billion, whilst Dell struggles with what colour to paint it's new line of laptops this year - and Google decides what element of Apple is worth ripping off this Quarter.

:P

Stay tuned for the announcement next month of 'Google Announces Online App Bazaar' - where half the apps will work on 1/3 of devices, the other half works on the other 1/3 of devices, and who God help those with the remaining 1/3 of devices.

:P
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

martinkellogs

Post by martinkellogs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:47 pm

dear apple,
please be a little more discreet when trying to rip off Intel's Appup Store.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:24 pm

People are complaining the shit doesn't work and they are getting error codes. :x

And also not having been able to view or use it myself, I think it will be silliness if there's a lot of apps from idevices converted to Mac format. I really have no interest in playing Angry Birds, the facebook of apps, on my Mac. :x

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:29 pm

I wonder if they'll accept standalones built in Max/MSP :lol:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Developers are saying that things like plug ins won't be accepted right now.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:51 pm

lol

Yeah. The whole idea of an app store for your Mac is just goofy. Thought so then, think so now. It won't stop Apple from making another $billion$, but to beats' point - I'd rather that my pointless, lighthearted, fluff apps remain firmly on my iPad/iPhone.

And that's what the app store will be....just a whole mess of eye candy apps that simply distract you from doing pretty much anything constructive with your time.

And they certainly couldn't offer things like the Adobe Deluxe Creative Suite as an app store download, lol.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:01 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:lol

Yeah. The whole idea of an app store for your Mac is just goofy. Thought so then, think so now. It won't stop Apple from making another $billion$, but to beats' point - I'd rather that my pointless, lighthearted, fluff apps remain firmly on my iPad/iPhone.

And that's what the app store will be....just a whole mess of eye candy apps that simply distract you from doing pretty much anything constructive with your time.

And they certainly couldn't offer things like the Adobe Deluxe Creative Suite as an app store download, lol.

On the other hand my roommate will FINALLY be getting a Mac later this month and sees no need for anything better than an iPod classic or a phone that costs more than $50, even better the free phone they just give you with a new contract. He might be interested in time wasting idevice apps ported to Mac, especially when his current time waster PS3 costs $60 a pop for something new.

I just hope the Mac App Store isn't flooded with nothing but this crap.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:05 pm

It WILL be flooded with nothing but that crap. And, like the store today, you won't be able to do any kind of meaningful filtering.

:x

I seriously hate the iStore with a passion. The fact that Apple still hasn't allowed demo versions of stuff is nothing short of criminal.

The inability to break down catagories into subgroups when doing a search is just SHIT.

For instance, why the fuck isn't there a 'kids' section under gaming. Kids ages 4-10 or something?

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:46 pm

There are demo versions, the free lite versions clusterfucked with ads when the developers make them. I don't think Apple should have to do anything differently. :P

Subcategory filter has been on people's wish list for a long time. :P

I would really like to see demo videos on iTunes, but for now there is always youtube and any developer that doesn't make a youtube demo video should be clubbed in the face with a netbook. :P

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:36 pm

Yeah, that's true about the lite versions. But I've read somewhere that Apple has no system in place for their app developers to write in any kind of expiration date for apps. So it remains, near as I can tell, Apple's fault. :x

Take two guitar amp sims, for instance: Amplitube and AmpKit. Both have lite versions with only 2 pedals or so. :x Hardly any sort of serious indication as to whether or not it's worth it to plunk down $20 per app.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:58 pm

OK, I get what you are saying about the full feature time bomb demos, but I'd say in 90% of the cases a lite version with limited features or levels is usually enough for people to make a decision. As far as audio apps I'd assume the developer could make a lite version that is full featured but makes an audible bleep or kills the sound for a second every so often.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:14 am

The SoundCloud App looks pretty sick, it looks like iTunes so you don't have to look at their ugly ass web interface. And it's free. 8O

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:17 am

Tarekith wrote:Developers are saying that things like plug ins won't be accepted right now.
iDrum is sold on there but it looks like it's just the standalone version, or at least it doesn't mention VST or AU version or using it in a DAW.

But still this is a great sign.