Is anyone listening to Flying Lotus/Nosaj Thing type shit?

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Jmoth

Is anyone listening to Flying Lotus/Nosaj Thing type shit?

Post by Jmoth » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:17 am

While browsing around these forums and listening to people's music links, it seems as though the most popular styles of music discussed/created around here are more along the lines of techno/trance/house/dubstep. And don't get me wrong, I love a good song when I hear it regardless of what neat little box we try and categorize it in.

I'm just surprised that I haven't heard anyone even mention the underground LA scene that is absolutely banging right now. I'm talking about guys like Flying Lotus, Nosaj Thing, Samiyam, Daedelus, Teebs, or any of the people who belong to the Brainfeeder or Alpha Pup record labels (they all pretty much role together). These guys are pushing musical boundaries and creating highly original music that blends all sorts of styles and genres. It's funny because they are all similar in some ways, yet each one of them has a very unique and personal sound. People try to stick a label to it (i've heard glitch-hop, trip-hop, downtempo, wonky beats [or some bullshit]), but nothing really works because the music is constantly changing and not easily categorized.

Right now i'd have to say that Flylo and Nosaj Thing specifically are my favorite musicians/producers....period. On top of that they both use Ableton and that is one of the reasons that I even looked into this wonderful software in the first place.

Anyone else into these guys at the moment?

Styles Bitchly

Re: Is anyone listening to Flying Lotus/Nosaj Thing type shit?

Post by Styles Bitchly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:41 am

no

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:13 am

Definitely listening to all of them. My favourite at the moment is TOKiMONSTA. Also, I've seen Nosaj Thing, FlyLo, and TOKiMONSTA live on various occasions. Very nice sets!

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:38 am

I love Daedelus live, have seen him twice.

I have some Flying Lotus, but everytime I listen to it I hate it, although it's music that I theoretically should really like. But it makes me nervous.

For me it's all sampledelic music, and not like something new and groundbreaking. The sounds and techniques might be changing every year, but the concept is still the same, isn't it? Instrumental hip hop on LSD, or so. For me this is going on since the early ninja tunes stuff.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:04 am

Yes, most definitely.
Image Image

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:00 pm

People mention these guys all the time around here. They have a few great tracks here and there, but their quality/quantity ratio isn't all that great imo. So its hard for me to listen to them regularly, cause it would just be the same maybe 5-6 tracks (combined) playing over and over.

razorblade

Post by razorblade » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:02 pm

Being a southern Californian, this is where I am at these days. Saw Flylo at Coachella and he killed. Saw Nosaj Thing and Jogger at a small venue and it was an awesome show. But this has always been the kind of sample based music I've been into. Daedalus, Teebs, Gaslamp Killer and Lorn have all been getting a lot of playtime lately.

Drift definitely made my top five albums last year.

Downloaded the new Lorn album yesterday...very tasty. Also been digging Mexicans with Guns...Banda Dubstep, anyone?
No...I am 3phase!

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:25 pm

Some respectable names on your list but they're kind of old hat and the discussions are mostly over and we have moved on to other things, and I don't mean better things.

Funny thing about LA/Hollywood is people perceive that it's the epicenter of NOW, but from my visits there it hasn't exactly been the center of innovation and is often at least one step behind other cities where real new sounds are being pioneered.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:54 pm

beats me wrote:we have moved on to other things... real new sounds are being pioneered.
You could at least catch us up.
Image Image

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:10 pm

polyslax wrote:
beats me wrote:we have moved on to other things... real new sounds are being pioneered.
You could at least catch us up.
I only talk about Apple products.

Jmoth

Post by Jmoth » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:55 pm

I agree that a lot of these guys are sample based, but then there is a producer like Nosaj Thing who rarely uses samples outside of his live shows. His album was pretty much entirely electronically produced.

Anyway, I don't mean to come off as a smart ass when I pose this next question because I mean it seriously: For those saying that this is old news and that other people from places outside of LA are creating real new sounds, who are these artists and where are they from?

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:22 pm

Jmoth wrote:I agree that a lot of these guys are sample based, but then there is a producer like Nosaj Thing who rarely uses samples outside of his live shows. His album was pretty much entirely electronically produced.

Anyway, I don't mean to come off as a smart ass when I pose this next question because I mean it seriously: For those saying that this is old news and that other people from places outside of LA are creating real new sounds, who are these artists and where are they from?
I did come off as sort of a hater of LA, sorry about that. It's probably partially a result of going there and then being led to venues where the music and atmosphere came off as what Hollywood feels an underground scene would be, not really being an actual underground scene and the music was far from original. But LA is sprawling and I'm sure the underground scene you really have to actively hunt down, unlike a city like SF which is 7 square miles and you could easily stumble into an underground scene by walking a couple blocks.

There's people far more versed in current music than I am. I'm just saying Flying Lotus was a hot topic years ago, and upon just general reflection I don't think I've ever heard of a genre pioneered in LA. I've heard plenty of SF, Chicago, Detroit, New York, Miami, but never LA. Since you live there maybe you can tell me what sound was born in LA.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm also probably just talking out my ass and am bitter because I live in the least underground large city in the union. :x

Have you heard the San Jose sound? It's mostly a bunch of reunited metal funk bands playing to a crowd of people in their 40's whining about there being no scene. Pathetic. :x

aisling

Post by aisling » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:18 pm

beats me wrote:I'm also probably just talking out my ass and am bitter because I live in the least underground large city in the union. :x

Have you heard the San Jose sound? It's mostly a bunch of reunited metal funk bands playing to a crowd of people in their 40's whining about there being no scene. Pathetic. :x
you think that is bad, I am up in sonoma county :oops: all about the hyphy and washed up gen x metelheads.....with a dash of hippie dippie neo political social can't quite cut it reggae.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.