I'd sell you all to the Gypsies for this new iPad accessory

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
LoopStationZebra

Re: I'd sell you all to the Gypsies for this new iPad accessory

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:53 am

Homebelly wrote:What will happen if the iPad 2 comes out and has a slightly diferent form factor?
How is that gonna jib with all of these hardware devices with built in docking?

It hasn't been released yet, and no date has been announced. My guess is that they will wait until the iPad2 is released and that this unit will support both - perhaps with an adaptor for the 1st gen iPad (like what Bose does with the SoundDock).
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:27 am

gjm wrote:
Da hand wrote:Wait a minute, isn't this a product by Alesis and not AKAI?

http://www.alesis.com/studiodock
Yes
I see what you mean, seems like both Akai and Alesis are linked to this... both companies owned by the same person with some press release confusion.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Blue Monster 65

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:09 pm

Both the Alesis Studiodock and the Akai SynthStation 49 are $199 at Sweetwater (scroll down: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=ipad) Looking forward to playing with both of them when they come in. I've been using the Synthstation app on my iPod for months now (a few drawbacks, but otherwise I like it quite a bit) and am looking to upgrade to the iPad later this year.

The only drawback to that is we'll have to get two: one for me and one for my wife. Then the kids will want to know where theirs are.

The funny thing about all this is (to me) is that Weds afternoon, I was having a discussion with my partner about what I expected to see from someone - if not at this show, then by summer - was a keyboard controller with full-size keys, etc. and a dock for the iPad. Ten minutes later, we saw the Ion version online. That led us to discussing what else we'd like to see and what could be coming. We came up with the idea of a device that the iPad could plug into with audio and MIDI I/O, etc. Lo and behold, that night the announcements from both Alesis and Akai really surprised us!

This sort of thing continually amazes me. Honestly, it's like when the first Tascam Portastudio came out, we were (frankly) shocked. Now that sort of thing seems quaint (and you youngsters roll your eyes at me), but as technology moves forward faster, the tools are getting more and more affordable, powerful and smaller. It's a very fun ride.

I will be very interested to see what the next year or two brings in the way of tablet computers that run Windows (yeah, I know) and how that impacts the price of musical programs for them. I would love to be able to run Live or the like on a piece of gear like the iPad/Studio Dock - and I'm sure I will.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:59 pm

$200???

Okay, at that price......STUDIODOCKS FOR EVERYBODY!!!! :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Remember, until the iPad music app developers get their collective heads out of their asses and actually IMPLEMENT full MIDI, a lot of this new gear is POINTLESS.

:x

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:57 pm

I'm wondering if any of these manufactures got access to the specs, at least size, for the iPad2. I'm sure they'd have to sign a nondisclosure agreement but there's already cases being made for the iPad2 by third parties so I don't see why companies making something more elaborate than a case wouldn't be given this information too.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:59 pm

beats me wrote:I'm wondering if any of these manufactures got access to the specs, at least size, for the iPad2. I'm sure they'd have to sign a nondisclosure agreement but there's already cases being made for the iPad2 by third parties so I don't see why companies making something more elaborate than a case wouldn't be given this information too.

They do receive exact specs and I believe CAD drawings.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:10 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
beats me wrote:I'm wondering if any of these manufactures got access to the specs, at least size, for the iPad2. I'm sure they'd have to sign a nondisclosure agreement but there's already cases being made for the iPad2 by third parties so I don't see why companies making something more elaborate than a case wouldn't be given this information too.

They do receive exact specs and I believe CAD drawings.
I've heard the iPad2 is going to be completely flexible, to the point where you can roll it up in a tube.

The only remaining challenge is getting it to roll up tighly enough so that it might fit snugly around LoopStationZeebra's schween.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:29 pm

mikemc wrote:fit snugly around LoopStationZeebra's schween.

This kind of thing is PRECISELY why I've nominated you to be Supreme Lounge Leader.

And I see what you did there. Tightly enough. Please, mofo. You need to think THICKER. Like TENNIS BALL TUBE thicker.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:57 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
mikemc wrote:fit snugly around LoopStationZeebra's schween.

This kind of thing is PRECISELY why I've nominated you to be Supreme Lounge Leader.
:lol:
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

gjm

Post by gjm » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Both the Alesis Studiodock and the Akai SynthStation 49 are $199 at Sweetwater
Ok... so that means $700 for us and we won't be able to see stock for 6-9 months :evil: :evil: :evil:
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

Blue Monster 65

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:33 pm

Mikey is Papa?

You'll have to forgive me - I'm new here and ... wait! Put down that MPC!