mp3/m4a conversion back to WAV???

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
lovin ableton

mp3/m4a conversion back to WAV???

Post by lovin ableton » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:27 am

Hey there all didnt know where to put this so here it is lol

anyhoo at some of the places i play i have to throw in abit of cheezy commercial crapola, and im starting to find that alot of tracks coming off itunes now are coming out at 264kbps and are sounding shitty over a large PA system, so what im wondering is can you simply convert said files back to there original WAV file without it just making a larger shitty sounding file?? So basicly im asking does converting back to the original WAV file actually work or once its compressed your stuck with the crappy quality of the mp3/m4a??

And is there any better sites to download pure 320kbs top 40/commercial tracks cause the continual searching and buying then re-searching and re-purchasing is really doing my head in lol

thanks all

Da hand

Re: mp3/m4a conversion back to WAV???

Post by Da hand » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:36 am

Unfortunately, the loss in quality cannot be reversed for mp3/m4a tracks.

lovin ableton

Post by lovin ableton » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:45 am

i had a feeling that this would be not do-able

i have already found a better download site so at least i will be getting cleaner tracks to start with, its a shame i really wanted to start getting together a nice WAV collection of all the house/electro/prog that i use on bigger systems i suppose i'll just start having to pay more via beatport for the WAV handling

thanks heaps

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:11 am

Are you sure the sound issues are not coming from somewhere in the signal chain? Distortion/clipping/something going on along the line? Because you really should not be having sound issues with 320 mp3s or AAC audio off itunes.

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:13 am

Granted, I never played on a huge PA... so for all we know I could not know what I am talking about.

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:15 am

I'm just sayin cause I download stuff of itunes all the time and it sounds pristine on my 8020 Gens.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:38 am

liveISlife wrote:Because you really should not be having sound issues with 320 mp3s or AAC audio off itunes.
liveISlife wrote:..im starting to find that alot of tracks coming off itunes now are coming out at 264kbps and are sounding shitty over a large PA system,

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:29 pm

I highly doubt the problem is the tracks you are getting from iTunes. Large loud PAs are very forgiving unless the PA and/or room is shit.

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:16 pm

Da hand wrote:
liveISlife wrote:Because you really should not be having sound issues with 320 mp3s or AAC audio off itunes.
liveISlife wrote:..im starting to find that alot of tracks coming off itunes now are coming out at 264kbps and are sounding shitty over a large PA system,
Thank you for clearing this up. :)

lovin ableton

Post by lovin ableton » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:29 pm

Well i know its the audio files coming off of Itunes and a couple other places that are causing the issues, im not saying that the rooms i play in are perfect acoustics wise but alot of my other music i play sounds perfect, for instance i purchased a copy of "Only girl in the world" (dont bag what i "have too" play it kills me lol) anyhoo i have the file i got from itunes (264kbps) and i have a great little remix as well (320kbps) and the remix sounds better and crisper than the original lol

Its very annoying that itunes is stooging people with 264k music i thought it was all supposed to be 320k, a second example is another track i just recently got.... turn around - flo rida, again it sounds like crap.... to the point i refuse to play it untill i get a better copy....

and no its nothing else along the line as its only 5-6 tracks in my set that im having probs with

cheerz

p.s. PA is JBL system so no not shit....

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:38 pm

lovin ableton wrote:Well i know its the audio files coming off of Itunes and a couple other places that are causing the issues, im not saying that the rooms i play in are perfect acoustics wise but alot of my other music i play sounds perfect, for instance i purchased a copy of "Only girl in the world" (dont bag what i "have too" play it kills me lol) anyhoo i have the file i got from itunes (264kbps) and i have a great little remix as well (320kbps) and the remix sounds better and crisper than the original lol
Not a fair comparison. You're basically talking about 2 different tracks. Remixes are usually done by a completely different group of people right up to the mastering stage. It's not uncommon for a remix to sound better than the original regardless of the file type. Odds are the remixer has better gear and people in thier corner.

lovin ableton

Post by lovin ableton » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:01 am

ok your getting me all wrong.... im not comparing them in that way, all im saying by that comment is that i know its the original track quality that crappy and not all the tracks coming out my system, i know that different remixes have different mastering behind each one, thus each copy is going to be different quality sound wise, but are you trying to tell me that a small pretty much unknown remixer has better gear and a better mastering tech than David Guetta and what ever record label that brought out that track?? The point im making is the original sounds real dirty and it may even just be that its been compressed to 264k, but that goes back to my original point..... should itunes be selling 264k compressed dirty files??

gloarrg

Post by gloarrg » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:55 am

To successfully convert M4A or MP3 to WAV, personally recommend you a full guide. It easy and helpful.
http://www.faasoft.com/articles/m4a-to- ... ndows.html

It will help you convert M4A to WAV, AC3, DTS, CAF, MP3, AIFF, FLAC, etc.