VJ software Grand VJ or Modul8

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
darkcatt

VJ software Grand VJ or Modul8

Post by darkcatt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:37 pm

I am trying to decide my VJ standards, and am very much in the preliminary stages. Does anyone have any input?
Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackcatcrossing
http://theblackcatcrossing.com/

rikhyray

Re: VJ software Grand VJ or Modul8

Post by rikhyray » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:24 pm

Module8 or Resolume, it all depend on what you want to do, your style, each is better in its own way. Arkaos shifted its biz/intrests into DMX I wouldnt spend money on any VJ product of theirs.

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:35 pm

I've never used GrandVJ, but I have modul8 and I love it!

One nice thing about modul8 is that it's er... modular. There are currently around 100 user-made modules in the online library that anyone can use. If you're keen you could build your own if you want a specific device/plugin/interface.

Modul8's MIDI capabilities are very similar to Lives: hit shift-apple-M to assign MIDI notes/controllers, or shift-apple-K to assign QWERTY keystrokes to any parameter or clip.

Modul8 has a nifty "Logical Record" function that I've been using a lot: You can record your performance for as long as you like with no CPU hit, and render it out later at whatever codec/size/frame-rate you need. This can also function as a "video looper" as you can switch seamlessly between live manipulation and "Logical Record" playback.

The MapMapMap module is awesome, it lets you map the geometry of your output to any surface. I use it to assist with lining up to a screen - no need to futz around with keystone correction - just shoot a little bit wide with your projector, and pin each corner of the image on to the corners of your screen in the software. You can map each of the 10 layers of video simultaneously to a different shape if you wish, so its easy to map on to 3-D objects in physical space.

It plays sweetly with Live on my 4 year old MBP. I can build my video show all on the one machine with Live sending MIDI to modul8 via the IAC bus. (I have them on separate computers for gigs though just to be sure, but I'm really impressed with how smoothly they both work on one machine with pretty complex sets on each - I could imagine if you were doing a more basic DJ-type set from Live, and not using too many layers simultaneously in M8 you could very happily run both off one machine, live.)

Great MIDI clock integration, any parameter(s) can be auto-modulated by incoming MIDI clock, in whatever amount and beat-division you wish. Also, live audio input can be assigned to modulate any parameter, including different frequency bands assigned to different parameters. Speaking of I/O, it will handle up to 8 projectors and 4 camera inputs simultaneously, if your hardware is up to it.

So err yeah... a fanboi in the making here. Try the demo of each and see what you think. One word about the M8 demo though, it defaults to a set containing lots of layers, and lots and lots of modulations turned on... I found this quite confusing at first to work out what everything does. I would recommend stripping it back to one layer and turning all the mods off to get a clearer idea from scratch of how things work.

HTH
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:18 pm

I'm loving how more and more serious music related threads like this are showing up in the Lounge. It brings validation to our little corner of the world.

Carry on!
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:59 am

This thread got me digging around in the M8 module library again and I miss-spoke: there's more than 200 modules in there.

Just grabbed this one: Layer Sequencer. Synced to MIDI Clock, you can sequence layers of video - up to 10 of 'em - to cut (or fade) on and off in time to the beat, with variable grid resolution and pattern length. YEE HA!

roach808

Post by roach808 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:28 pm

if you looking for something that is e-z to sync to live for playing out I would say check out resolume avenue 3. It handles pretty much like live, but its ez to midi map live in tandem with the application.

modul8 is pretty excellent too, I create a shit-ton of my visual content with that lovely program.
roach- the other white meat
http://www.themenacetosobriety.com/blog/
MBP, Live Suite, and lots of nice analogue gear.