Issue Resolved. Thank you.

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
Tone Deft

Re: WARNING TO POTENTIAL CANADIAN BUYERS

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:47 am

:roll:

shove the manual up your ass and do the download.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:07 am

Dude, customs are all assholes, don't blame Ableton. I work for a major shipping company I will not disclose which but I have never heard of a GAA form. Maybe Canada has introduced a new policy, as countries are constantly changing their border policies. Seriously, your problem is with customs... in reality about 10% of all packages are ever stopped and inspected by customs, and to ship software from Germany to Canada, the only requirement is the waybill with 3 copies of a customs declaration form filled out including:
-itemizing what is in the shipment with a value of each item
-Country of origin & country of destination, country of manufacture
-Terms of sale (so they know that they can slap their duties on things)
-Currency of sale

I have things shipped to me from the world over all the time and have never had the problems you are describing. As far as Ableton go, as long as their customs declaration was included with the shipment they did nothing wrong. Customs charges duties, and it sounds like you must have had a conversation with customs or something, and maybe you don't understand that anything of value has duties slapped on it. They will hold your package until you pay those duties. So pay up and you'll get your treat.

G

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:26 am

Tone Deft wrote::roll:

shove the manual up your ass and do the download.
spoken like a true San Fransican, probably posted from his iphone while sipping tea with ean golden. :lol:
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:40 am

hey man i see why you're pissed... i completely agree with you.. when its $500 software the company sending it to you should take responsibility for it getting to your doorstep if you payed for shipping. that's just common sense.

but really, was it necessary to spam every single forum with this? that's a little much dont ya think?

arafel

Post by arafel » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:41 am

Ooooh Nooo!

You ordered something expensive from overseas and it got stopped at the Border??
No Way ?!! uhmmm That is what the Border is for..

Its like Customs thought something was fishy with a package from Germany that says "Live"
Live what? asks the Customs agent, bored with looking over another crate of plastic toys from china.
"Lets check this out.. could be a Live animal in that box.. maybe a Gerbil.. people are into kinky stuff"

The GAA form is really simple.. (it just lets Fedex act on your behalf to get the package thru Customs).
I've done it over the phone many times (if your polite).
Customs wants their GST and PST. So the GAA lets Fedex talk to Cusoms for you.
Fedex broker says... "dude its some stupid software for a DJ. He is gonna use it to play music on his compooter - its not dangerous or illegal" so here is the money he owes Canada". Customs guy says "ok... but I got my eye on this DJ.. he better respect the KLF".
Fedex broker hands the package off to the Fedex delivery guy.

So prepare for a bill from Fedex (GST + PST + brokerage fees ($40 aprx)).
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

arafel

Post by arafel » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:57 am

This quote is right off the Ableton website (when you go to purchase something and are ship it)...

Please note that purchases shipped outside of the EU or USA may be subject to customs duties, import taxes and local sales taxes. These charges are not included in the total amount of the order and must be paid by the recipient. Please contact your local customs authorities to find out about the applicable fees in your country of residence.

So some tax owing should be no surprise.

You quoted the GAA form as follows.."As per this GAA Form ."We do not have a NAFTA certificate on file for clearance of this shipment. Please provide a NAFTA certificate of origin for all goods made in the U.S., Canada or Mexico. If a NAFTA certificate is not provided then all applicable duties (in addition to the applicable taxes) will be assessed to this shipment."

It is not possible for Ableton to provide a NAFTA certificate...as Surprise!
Abelton Live is from Germany.
Germany is not part of NAFTA (ahhh North American ... Free Trade Agreement).

So no NAFTA = you pay all applicable duties (GST, PST + brokerage fees).
This is why Customs stopped your package... They want their tax money.
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

ark

Post by ark » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:28 am

RLJBstudio wrote:You will be in disbelief that you just spent 2 weeks worth of wages on a software program from a huge corporation to find out that there is a lack of training in regards to shipping concerns and/or properly shipping the item.
Ableton. Huge corporation. This is a joke, right?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:55 am

arafel wrote:This quote is right off the Ableton website (when you go to purchase something and are ship it)...

Please note that purchases shipped outside of the EU or USA may be subject to customs duties, import taxes and local sales taxes. These charges are not included in the total amount of the order and must be paid by the recipient. Please contact your local customs authorities to find out about the applicable fees in your country of residence.

So some tax owing should be no surprise.

You quoted the GAA form as follows.."As per this GAA Form ."We do not have a NAFTA certificate on file for clearance of this shipment. Please provide a NAFTA certificate of origin for all goods made in the U.S., Canada or Mexico. If a NAFTA certificate is not provided then all applicable duties (in addition to the applicable taxes) will be assessed to this shipment."

It is not possible for Ableton to provide a NAFTA certificate...as Surprise!
Abelton Live is from Germany.
Germany is not part of NAFTA (ahhh North American ... Free Trade Agreement).

So no NAFTA = you pay all applicable duties (GST, PST + brokerage fees).
This is why Customs stopped your package... They want their tax money.
:lol: owned.

crofter

Post by crofter » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:57 am

Don't live in Canada, simples,where is Canada by the way?
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:06 am

-> Image

crofter

Post by crofter » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:09 am

timothyallan wrote:-> Image
That should be a woolly hat, it's f'in cold up there.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:16 am

I know, that's why I moved to Australia :)

ollyb303

Re: WARNING POTENTIAL CANADIAN BUYERS

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:21 am

Spamming every board in the forum will probably help.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Fanu

Post by Fanu » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:22 am

RLJBstudio wrote: When you call ableton customer care you will speak with 4-5 different associates all providing different answers. Half of which are advising it is the customers responsibility to arrange shipping into Canada. You will be in disbelief that you just spent 2 weeks worth of wages on a software program from a huge corporation to find out that there is a lack of training in regards to shipping concerns and/or properly shipping the item.
It shouldn't be a surprise to you that if you order something from Europe, customs will wanna have their share of it?
It's not like Ableton can or want to pay the customs for you.
You shouldn't be blaming Ableton: they can't change the law.

Consider this a lesson learned.

I'm from Finland, and it's happened to me a few times that I've ordered something from USA and it has ended up in the customs (I think the limit is around 50EUR).
I go there, declare the shiznit, tell 'em what's inside (if needed) and what it's worth, pay the fees and that's it.

No-one can do it for you.
And it's not always that easy anyways; sometimes they simply wanna take a look.